Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL ADSL Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL ADSL Broadband

Old 06-02-2006, 07:28   #1
Mal484T
Inactive

Mal484T is an unknown quantity at this point
Question NTL ADSL Broadband

Can anyone help.
I have a small office network which is connected with a 3 com hub and a 3 com wireless router. I have 3 wired connections to the hub, and 3 wireless laptops through the router, all pcâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s talk to one another perfectly. (Windows XP)
The problem is I have had to change our ISP to NTL ADSL , to have a static address for a security camera. The NTL package includes a BT router with a static IP address. The internet connection has to use the BT router address for access.
I cannot get access to the internet unless I directly plug in a computer to the BT router and configure it for the BT router address. This then takes the computer connected to the internet out of the network, so I cannot print or see any other computers.

I contacted NTL who said they could only assist with connecting the BT router to the internet. But they did suggest that port forwarding / network translation was the area to look in. I need help !!!!!!
Mal484T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30   #2
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Re: NTL ADSL Broadband

Please don't post networking queries in the General ntl Discussion forum, thanks.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794

Take a look through this forum that your thread is now in, there's a world of info here.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:18   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Can you not connect your 3 com router's WAN port to the BT modem LAN port? Then you go into the 3 com router's config and set up it's lan settings to do use the BT router as it's connection? You shouldn't then need to change your computer setup as they still look to the 3 com router when they point towards the internet.

Is it actually a BT router, or a modem? If you need more assistance please post the precise make & model of the 3 com & BT kit.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:56   #4
Mal484T
Inactive

3 com router does not have a WAN port. the details of the kit i have are as follows:
BT Kit - Alcatel Integrated Router, Part No 120-5861-036, Connections - DSL x 1, Ethernet x 4, 1 x connection marked console.

3 Com - Office Connect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router, Part No 3CRWDR100A-72, Connections - ADSL x 1, 4 x Lan Connections.

3 Com - Office Connect Dual Speed Hub 8, Connections - 8 x Lan Connections, No 8 Uplink option.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:04   #5
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

can you input the settings for your adsl conection to the 3com router, then connect directly to this and not use the BT modem/router at all?

The problem you are having at the moment is if you are going to use 2 routers, the 2nd (in this case 3com) must be a cable router in order for it to work, as it needs an ethernet WAN port, as opposed to the rj11 for adsl.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 18:15   #6
Mal484T
Inactive

If i configure the 3 com router to the BT Router settings i still cannot access the internet and i also loose my network.
Old 06-02-2006, 22:07   #7
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

don't see why you should lose your local network....

surely all you need to do is change the username and password on the 3 com router to match your isps provided details?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:19   #8
Mal484T
Inactive

To connect to the NTL server the router must have the IP address assigned to it for access. if i change the 3 com routers ip address it no longer recognises my network, even when i do this the 3 com router will still not connect to the internet?? The NTL technician said the problem lies in port forwarding / network translation?