Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL250 modem and Netgear router problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL250 modem and Netgear router problems

Old 25-12-2007, 17:55   #1
Andy_P
Inactive

Andy_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy NTL250 modem and Netgear router problems

Hi, I think this is a similar but not exactly the same problem to others I've found with a search, but advice (plug it all in in the right sequence and it SHOULD auto-detect) usually runs out at a point I've already got to ...so please be gentle with me if I 've missed anything more than that!

I have... NTL/Virgin broadband using NTL250 cable modem. All working fine when connected direct to the PC via Ethernet.
Just bought new Netgear Rangemax wireless router (WNR834b) and cannot even get the wired bit to the first PC working.

With the router placed between the Ethernet connection from the modem to the pc and running the usual power-up sequence (modem for 2 mins then Router for 1 min) the router setup wizard insists I have a static IP address and then asks me to enter the details.

If I revert to normal plugging I can retrieve details of IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway etc. from Control Panel/Network Connections.

Using those details in the router setup gets me a failed internet connection and no further. It says do the power up sequence again, or re-enter the correct manual settings.

SO my first question is... shouldn't the NTL connection be a dynamically assigned IP Address anyway?

and the follow on question... whether it is or not, where to next?

This is ruining my xmas day...
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2007, 18:34   #2
homealone

Re: NTL250 modem and Netgear router problems

Answer to first question is 'yes', Virgin assign addresses dynamically.

I would try setting up without using the wizard - your manual should give you the IP of the router configuration pages (I think it is 192.168.0.1 for netgear) & the username/password.

Then set it to obtain an IP address automatically & enable DHCP server - you shouldn't need any more for the basic setup, apply the change & re-boot the modem then router, then PC & it 'should' work.

Don't forget the security settings once it does work
Old 25-12-2007, 18:48   #3
Andy_P
Inactive

Hey, thanks for the quick reply!
Xmas tea first, then I bet I can't resist another go at it...

Happy Christmas to you, mate.
Old 25-12-2007, 21:37   #4
Andy_P
Inactive

Fed...Full....and have a working network!

Knowing the IP address WAS dynamic was half the battle, and a manual setup like you suggested was pretty painless after that.

Many, many thanks again
Old 25-12-2007, 22:13   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
Fed...Full....and have a working network!

Knowing the IP address WAS dynamic was half the battle, and a manual setup like you suggested was pretty painless after that.

Many, many thanks again
glad to help
Old 28-12-2007, 23:22   #6
DrBunker
Inactive

DrBunker is an unknown quantity at this point
Further to: NTL250 modem and Netgear router problems

Sorry to tack this onto a closed thread but my problem is so similar I thought it was better to post here than start a new one...

I recently bought a Netgear WGR614 router to replace my old ADSL one since we had cable installed. The ntl:250 modem works fine via an ethernet connection and with the router I can happily connect two machines.

My problem is that I cannot get the router to recognise the modem via the ethernet cable. I've gone through the wizard and tried to do it manually but the ethernet light on the modem never shows up when it's connected to the router.

I've tried it on an XP and Vista Home Prem 32 bit machine with a variety of cables and have also registered a support request with Netgear but their responses only really cover things I already know e.g. hold the reset button for 20 seconds or 60 seconds with three cycles of on/off.

I have managed to get it to work once but I cannot for the life of me work out how I did. I had internet access on two machines for about a minute and then it cut out (I think it was something to do with the Virgin Media installation but it seems to work fine through the modem). What I don't get (and have tried in vain to explain to Netgear) is that it worked without any manual router configuration. Could it be a problem with the relevant port on the router (the other LAN ones seem to work)?

I been trying to figure it out for days and it's really starting to get frustrating as from experience it should just be a simple plug and play exercise.

Apologies for the long post but I'd really like to get this sorted! Thanks in advance.
DrBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2007, 21:52   #7
DrBunker
Inactive

DrBunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Edit:

I just tried a complete close down of router, modem and PC and managed to get both ethernet and internet lights on until the PC was turned on.

I guess this can only mean that there are some settings on the router that need to be amended to allow it to work with the modem...does this sound likely?
DrBunker is offline   Reply With Quote