Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pronouns

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Pronouns

Old 18-08-2022, 10:14   #31
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pronouns

Gender Ideology, the driving idea behind the whole Pronouns thing, and which only really started to appear to most of us around 2015, is just that.....an ideology.

Like any other ideology you can choose to participate in it, or not.

I choose not, because if I was to recognise it out of politeness or any other reason, would be to acquiesce to something I don't believe in, or can plainly see.

It would be like saying to a christian that I believe in god, just so I don't hurt his feelings.

Perfect example is Eddie Izzard. He is a man. Plainly a man. There is no way I would address him as She. No matter how hurt his feelings may be.
Old 18-08-2022, 10:15   #32
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
No it just shows up YOUR prejudices.

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Prejudiced much?
You are wrong. I have no prejudice except against illegal migrants of the Calais type. It (wokery) is self evident when you butcher the English language to use a plural pronoun rather than the correct singular pronoun. "They have got a penis" is a collective term; in the singular that becomes "he".

Had you used the grammatically correct pronouns, your message would have been even stronger.

My advice is at your risk.

Last edited by Sephiroth; 18-08-2022 at 10:17. Reason: typos
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 11:01   #33
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You are wrong. I have no prejudice except against illegal migrants of the Calais type. It (wokery) is self evident when you butcher the English language to use a plural pronoun rather than the correct singular pronoun. "They have got a penis" is a collective term; in the singular that becomes "he".

Had you used the grammatically correct pronouns, your message would have been even stronger.
‘They’ is also perfectly acceptable third person singular for referring to an individual whose sex is unknown. It has been co-opted by those who wish to make a deliberately ambiguous statement about their ‘gender’ but that shouldn’t stop you using it as grammar has long permitted.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 12:08   #34
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
‘They’ is also perfectly acceptable third person singular for referring to an individual whose sex is unknown. It has been co-opted by those who wish to make a deliberately ambiguous statement about their ‘gender’ but that shouldn’t stop you using it as grammar has long permitted.
The problem here is that people will tend to match the verb to the plural sense of the word "they" (where action is the context). Thgis can theoretically lead to the need for clarification - which is wasteful effort.

The rules of grammar are there for a reason and wokery should not modify these. Better for some philological brainio to invent a new word (singular/plural) to cover the trans case.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 12:11   #35
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Already exist - ze/zir/hir/hirself

https://pronouns.org/ze-hir
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 12:22   #36
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Not in my vocabulary.
Old 18-08-2022, 13:05   #37
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Nothing in that website suggests these terms “already exist.” And by already exist I’m looking for more than the pet project of a tiny subculture. There is no evidence of provenance, just a lot of manufactured grammar and a huge amount of waffle about how to deal with the equally manufactured social faux pas that inevitably arise in situations where its use is normalised.

The idea that it is somehow ignorant or hateful to use language that the entire human race has developed over millennia is absurd. If an individual looks in the mirror and chooses to see there something other than what their biology immutably says they are, then that’s their business. But their right to their self image doesn’t impinge on my right to behave in a perfectly normal human manner and assume someone is he or she - and let’s face it, out in the real world in the overwhelming majority of cases it is crystal clear which is which. The idea that it ought to be normal for people to provide their pronouns when introducing themselves is likewise absurd, and simply demonstrates just how pernicious the social media echo chamber has become.

Last edited by Chris; 18-08-2022 at 13:11.
Old 18-08-2022, 13:12   #38
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Not in my vocabulary.

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:
Nothing in that website suggests these terms “already exist.” And by already exist I’m looking for more than the pet project of a tiny subculture. There is no evidence of provenance, just a lot of manufactured grammar and a huge amount of waffle about how to deal with the social faux pas that inevitably arise in situations where its use is normalised.

The idea that it is somehow ignorant or hateful to use language that the entire human race has developed over millennia is absurd. If an individual looks in the mirror and chooses to see there something other than what their biology immutably says they are, then that’s their business. But their right to their self image doesn’t impinge on my right to behave in a perfectly normal human manner and assume someone is he or she - and let’s face it, out in the real world in the overwhelming majority of cases it is crystal clear which is which. The idea that it ought to be normal for people to provide their pronouns when introducing themselves is likewise absurd, and simply demonstrates just how pernicious the social media echo chamber has become.
Will the Oxford English Dictionary suffice?

https://public.oed.com/updates/new-w...st-march-2019/

Quote:
zir, pron.: “Used as a gender-neutral third person singular objective pronoun, corresponding to the subjective pronoun ze (see ze pron.). Cf. zir adj.”
zir, adj.: “Used as a gender-neutral possessive adjective (determiner), corresponding to the subjective pronoun ze (ze pron.). Cf. zir pron.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2022, 13:16   #39
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

---------- Post added at 12:12 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

https://public.oed.com/updates/new-w...st-march-2019/
I’d prefer the full Oxford definition, which includes provenance (if it has any) rather than an entry in the 2019 new words list.

I’d also point out that the new words list frequently includes pop culture artefacts that come and go, and also that proponents of pronouns aren’t simply trying to get recognition for the language of their subculture but rather to affect significant change to a fundamental aspect of English grammar.

According to Oxford, “the dogs b0ll0cks” entered the lexicon in 2002 but nobody gets offended when someone else fails to use it as a superlative.

https://public.oed.com/updates/new-w...december-2002/

Last edited by Chris; 18-08-2022 at 13:19.
Old 18-08-2022, 13:18   #40
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Gender Ideology, the driving idea behind the whole Pronouns thing, and which only really started to appear to most of us around 2015, is just that.....an ideology.

Like any other ideology you can choose to participate in it, or not.

I choose not, because if I was to recognise it out of politeness or any other reason, would be to acquiesce to something I don't believe in, or can plainly see.

It would be like saying to a christian that I believe in god, just so I don't hurt his feelings.

Perfect example is Eddie Izzard. He is a man. Plainly a man. There is no way I would address him as She. No matter how hurt his feelings may be.

Doesn't this just come down to acceptance, if Eddie Izzard wants to use the pronouns she/her then so what? individuals might not agree with it but there is zero cost to respecting someone's wishes.

people (not necessarily you) who refuse to go this type of request will usually be the first to complain when their own requests aren't listened to or their feelings are being imposed on.

I'm an atheist but I'm not going to run round refusing to acknowledge people's religious beliefs just because it's something i don't believe in.

Protestant? Good for you
Catholic? Good for you
Non binary? Great
Pastafarian? Touch me with your noodly appendage
Old 18-08-2022, 13:20   #41
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
There's lots of stupid and silly words in the OED that I don't use. These will just be more of that.
Old 18-08-2022, 13:27   #42
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Doesn't this just come down to acceptance, if Eddie Izzard wants to use the pronouns she/her then so what? individuals might not agree with it but there is zero cost to respecting someone's wishes.

people (not necessarily you) who refuse to go this type of request will usually be the first to complain when their own requests aren't listened to or their feelings are being imposed on.

I'm an atheist but I'm not going to run round refusing to acknowledge people's religious beliefs just because it's something i don't believe in.

Protestant? Good for you
Catholic? Good for you
Non binary? Great
Pastafarian? Touch me with your noodly appendage
The issue isn’t with people believing what they want (though I’m sceptical that in many cases society is dealing effectively with emerging mental health issues by being so laissez-faire). The problem lies in this movement’s assertion that others are being ignorant or hateful if they do not fundamentally adjust their use of English grammar to accommodate them.

Obviously if someone I don’t know presents themselves to me with a female name, wearing a dress and makeup I’m going to continue to refer to them as “she”, even if it later transpires they’re biologically male. I’m not about to look for opportunities to be offensive. But the multitude of gender states invented by critical gender theory are preposterous and I have no intention of miring myself in the language of that subculture in order to avoid giving “offence,” any more than I would bother to learn the correct way to discuss trainspotting.
Old 18-08-2022, 13:33   #43
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
The issue isn’t with people believing what they want (though I’m sceptical that in many cases society is dealing effectively with emerging mental health issues by being so laissez-faire). The problem lies in this movement’s assertion that others are being ignorant or hateful if they do not fundamentally adjust their use of English grammar to accommodate them.

Obviously if someone I don’t know presents themselves to me with a female name, wearing a dress and makeup I’m going to continue to refer to them as “she”, even if it later transpires they’re biologically male. I’m not about to look for opportunities to be offensive. But the multitude of gender states invented by critical gender theory are preposterous and I have no intention of miring myself in the language of that subculture in order to avoid giving “offence,” any more than I would bother to learn the correct way to discuss trainspotting.

If at the time of presentation you're asked to use a specific set of pronouns then what is the harm in using them as requested?

Why is the number of gender states so important to you that the quantity becomes preposterous ?
Old 18-08-2022, 13:37   #44
TheDaddy
cf.mega pornstar

TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura
TheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden auraTheDaddy has a golden aura

Who refers to someone as she/ he when they're present anyway, that's ruder than mispronouning imo
Old 18-08-2022, 13:42   #45
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Who refers to someone as she/ he when they're present anyway, that's ruder than mispronouning imo
You wouldn't, people generally ask you to use pronouns when referencing them

Slack, one of our main collaboration tools has fields for pronouns, some people fill them in, some people don't (mine are not' filled in)