Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

Old 29-10-2019, 17:50   #46
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview channel renumbering and hours changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Thanks for the link explaining it so thoroughly. I have four tv's, strangely one of which still seems to be able to receive BBC4 HD but only very intermittently (took about half a dozen retune attempts to find the channel), so far I can view it only when it's very rainy i.e. low pressure.
If one is still receiving it there are other factors that may be coming into play then.

Not all digital tuners are equal, some are more sensitive than others.

The wiring to each TV might be of differing qualities, which also affects signal.

Also, because of this spectrum clearance, if your area isn't being switched off, it might be changing frequency and it's one that doesn't carry so well to your location.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2019, 18:41   #47
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
If one is still receiving it there are other factors that may be coming into play then.

Not all digital tuners are equal, some are more sensitive than others.

The wiring to each TV might be of differing qualities, which also affects signal.

Also, because of this spectrum clearance, if your area isn't being switched off, it might be changing frequency and it's one that doesn't carry so well to your location.
I suspect that's the issue there. Thanks for your input !
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 20:04   #48
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I suspect that's the issue there. Thanks for your input !
My pleasure.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote:
CBS Drama is going full-time on Freeview from November 1st according to RXTVlog.
https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/10/cbs-...-freeview.html

I believe this leaves one of the Sony-vacated channels left to fill. At time of writing this I don't know who CBS Drama currently timeshares with so not sure if they are likely to fill the CBS Drama vacated space... assuming it's not them that's disappearing to leave CBS the space. In which case a former-Sony dpace isn't being used.

I'll look into this.
The following is me thinking out loud...

Sony vacated 3 full-time channel slots on main transmitters. One channel moved to the slot that doesn't have Welsh coverage after Keep It Country vacated it. The other two went onto the Local multiplex.

These 3 slots were filled by Together TV, Quest +1 and now it seems CBS Drama.
Hochanda was timesharing with Quest+1 and it has filled the space Quest+1 vacated.

If CBS Drama is using the remaining ex-Sony slot then either a timeshare is up for grabs, or one of the channels it was timesharing with will copy what Hochanda did and extend their hours.

I've been informed that CBS Drama timeshares with Sewing Quarter and Babestation. Given the nature of Babestation it won't be extending hours to start at 1pm in the afternoon, so either Sewing Quarter extends their hours to 11pm or new channel will have the opportunity. Maybe one of the SD channels from the temporary HD multiplexes?
Old 30-10-2019, 01:21   #49
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
My pleasure.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

The following is me thinking out loud...

Sony vacated 3 full-time channel slots on main transmitters. One channel moved to the slot that doesn't have Welsh coverage after Keep It Country vacated it. The other two went onto the Local multiplex.

These 3 slots were filled by Together TV, Quest +1 and now it seems CBS Drama.
Hochanda was timesharing with Quest+1 and it has filled the space Quest+1 vacated.

If CBS Drama is using the remaining ex-Sony slot then either a timeshare is up for grabs, or one of the channels it was timesharing with will copy what Hochanda did and extend their hours.

I've been informed that CBS Drama timeshares with Sewing Quarter and Babestation. Given the nature of Babestation it won't be extending hours to start at 1pm in the afternoon, so either Sewing Quarter extends their hours to 11pm or new channel will have the opportunity. Maybe one of the SD channels from the temporary HD multiplexes?
What about Your TV old slot?
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2019, 01:26   #50
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
What about Your TV old slot?
Completely forgot it. Ooops. Thanks.

It does explain the nagging feeling I'd missed something though.
Old 10-11-2019, 20:34   #51
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

I can't wait to see:

-Where E4+1 new multiplex will be (Moves to Film4 +1 old slot D3&4?).
-What will happen to More4 +1 old slot on PSB3 (Use for CBeebies HD and BBC 4 HD?).
-CBS Drama old part time slot on COM6.
-What will happen to NOW 90s old slot on COM8.

Red means that is my own views.
Old 10-11-2019, 20:51   #52
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I can't wait to see:

-Where E4+1 new multiplex will be (Moves to Film4 +1 old slot D3&4?).
-What will happen to More4 +1 old slot on PSB3 (Use for CBeebies HD and BBC 4 HD?).
-CBS Drama old part time slot on COM6.

Red means that is my own views.
Same. There's a few others on social media that think same as us re: E4+1 and BBC4/Cbeebies HD taking the PSB3 space.

The CBS Drama slot is futher reduced as I believe Sewing Quarter have extended to 6pm on that timeshared channel slot. My guesses are either Blaze+1 ( as they've kept the number with a brief overnight transmission for ages now), or Smithsonian or PBS America, simply as they usually have hour long shows which should finish before the 11pm timeshare end time. FreeSports showing live and/or long content means that slot is inappropriate for them.

E4 will probably take D3&4 in Wales, so existing Wales-only slot on SDN will probably be taken by E4+1 there, which means E4+1's slot will be free. FreeSports, if it is going to take any slot before the temp multiplexes shut down, will surely have to try to get this one.

There's been empty space on COM7 and COM8 for a while, so there's clearly little demand to fill what was there before Now 90s closed, even less so now. It may be that the remaining channels on these two multiplexes will consolidate on COM7 and COM8 will be closed. Some sites for COM7 and COM8 have already been closed over the last year so their coverage has already reduced.
Old 10-11-2019, 21:02   #53
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
E4 will probably take D3&4 in Wales, so existing Wales-only slot on SDN will probably be taken by E4+1 there, which means E4+1's slot will be free.
Only E4 +1 has been confirmed as moving so I think it will have D3&4 slot.

Where do E4 +1 broadcast right now?

Maybe for all I know S4C may move soon to BBC multiplex in Wales as BBC is now funding S4C.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Maybe Freesports or Forces TV will get E4 +1 slot after the 14th of November.
Old 10-11-2019, 23:29   #54
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Only E4 +1 has been confirmed as moving so I think it will have D3&4 slot.

Where do E4 +1 broadcast right now?

Maybe for all I know S4C may move soon to BBC multiplex in Wales as BBC is now funding S4C.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Maybe Freesports or Forces TV will get E4 +1 slot after the 14th of November.
I know only E4+1 is reported as moving, and it will probably get the D3&4 slot in most of the country, but they are hardly going to put the +1 on a multiplex with greater coverage than the main version, so Wales will have to have the main E4 move to D3&4 instead, which was my point.

Currently E4+1 is on ArqA (all the main multiplexes listed here) https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate...annel-listings

Though I've been mentioning the S4C BBC multiplex move idea for a while now, I don't think it's going to happen this retune now. Maybe in a few weeks or maybe even happen in the early new year, though I reckon the PSB3 change will happen before Christmas.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 10-11-2019 at 23:33.
Old 18-11-2019, 22:21   #55
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Here is the up to date list of space on Freeview being unused.

-Old E4+1 slot on COM5
-More4 +1 old slot on PSB3.

All information right as of November 18th.

RXTV is reporting on twitter the following is set to happen on November 20th:

-Together TV (Channel 93) moves to channel 88.
-Together TV+1 moves to channel 89.
-PBS America moves to COM6.
-PBS America +1 appeared at Channel 93

https://twitter.com/RXTVlog/status/1196476542282543104

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Do anyone know when COM7 and COM8 will close for everyone for good? I have try to find information with no luck.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 18-11-2019 at 22:42.
Old 18-11-2019, 23:48   #56
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

No-one can agree about the closure dates for COM7 and COM8 on the various forums I've seen discussing it. And many openly admit there are few sources, and that they are inconsistent and/or ambiguous. From memory, the approximate closure years given by people range from 2020 to 2024.

Given the clearance for 5G going on and that some of the sites are closing already due to this, I can't see them lasting much longer. That they are emptying and are mostly +1 channels says a lot.
Old 20-11-2019, 19:33   #57
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Freeview channel changes today 20/11/2019

Channel 68 (in Scotland only) is now BBC Four, previously channel 75 (confirming that change that showed up on my box prematurely a wee while back)

Channel 72 is now Quest Red+1, previously channel 78

Channel 83 was NOW 80s and has changed to NOW Xmas temporarily

Channel 88 is now Together TV, previously channel 89

Channel 89 is now Together TV+1, previously channel 93

Channel 91 is still PBS America but it has moved from (temporary) COM8 to (permanent and wider coverage) COM6. Broadcast hours now 1pm-11pm.

Channel 93 is now PBS America+1 which has launched on COM8 to replace main channel
Old 20-11-2019, 23:06   #58
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Freeview channel changes today 20/11/2019

Channel 68 (in Scotland only) is now BBC Four, previously channel 75 (confirming that change that showed up on my box prematurely a wee while back)

Channel 72 is now Quest Red+1, previously channel 78

Channel 83 was NOW 80s and has changed to NOW Xmas temporarily

Channel 88 is now Together TV, previously channel 89

Channel 89 is now Together TV+1, previously channel 93

Channel 91 is still PBS America but it has moved from (temporary) COM8 to (permanent and wider coverage) COM6. Broadcast hours now 1pm-11pm.

Channel 93 is now PBS America+1 which has launched on COM8 to replace main channel
PBS America+1 is using an other slot. Both PBS Channels was broadcasting on COM8 at 12.30pm today. (Source: My Telly)
Old 20-11-2019, 23:24   #59
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
PBS America+1 is using an other slot. Both PBS Channels was broadcasting on COM8 at 12.30pm today. (Source: My Telly)
They normally try and run old and new simultaneously for a week to give people a chance to retune. It happened with Film4+1 and More4+1 for a week after they moved and again with the E4+1 move. It'll work out as the equivalent of a direct replacement in the end.
Old 26-11-2019, 16:15   #60
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

A516Digital has seen reports on Shopping TV forums (yes, there apparently is such a thing) that Sewing Quarter is going to close.
https://mobile.twitter.com/a516digit...39668593991681

They are 8am to 1pm on the Freeview stream that PBS America has just moved onto. If PBS America knew, maybe they have already arranged to take this space when it is vacated when they struck their deal for the 1pm to 11pm slot.

Alternatively another temp mux channel may decide a morning slot on a main multiplex is better than an uncertain DTT future on a temporary multiplex with less coverage.

There is actually space from 5am to 8am on this stream, so whoever gets later morning slot could take this up too. This 3 hour space seems to act as a padding between Adult channels ending and others taking over currently. There is a similar (but not same length) padding on some other streams that share with Adult channels.

See timesharing on multiplexes here http://www.xhxf.uk/timeshares/