Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Liz Truss Resigns [Who'll be the next Prime Minister?]
Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2022, 09:08   #376
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: New Prime Minister: Liz Truss

Made me laugh

Tabloid headline today:

Quote:
Honey, I shrunk the quids!
and, seen on Twitter:

Quote:
Traders are referring to Truss as “Daggers” - as in Dagenham, 2 stops past Barking…
Also, apparently Sunak said this is August, wow!

Old 27-09-2022, 09:57   #377
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Just to be clear that's a writer in The Spectator mocking Sunak's 'doomer' predictions.

Which has become a theme in recent years. Promise unicorns such as tax cuts and increased spending and mocking any warnings of the consequences as doomerism.
Old 27-09-2022, 10:35   #378
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Just to be clear that's a writer in The Spectator mocking Sunak's 'doomer' predictions.

Which has become a theme in recent years. Promise unicorns such as tax cuts and increased spending and mocking any warnings of the consequences as doomerism.
Just to be clear, it is not a writer in The Spectator who said this, it is Sunak who apparently said this:

Quote:
In August, Sunak had warned that it would be “complacent and irresponsible" to ignore the risk of markets losing confidence in the British economy, as wagers against UK government debt sent short-term borrowing costs in the gilt market soaring.

“There will be a run on sterling. The gilts market will be in freefall. And the FTSE will tumble as global investors take fright and sell off every form of British asset. It might take only a few days, or the government might stagger through until the end of September, but before long Liz Truss and her new Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng will have been forced to call in the IMF to stabilise a collapsing economy," Sunak had said.
Old 27-09-2022, 10:38   #379
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Just to be clear, it is not a writer in The Spectator who said this, it is Sunak who apparently said this:
Yes, but the Spectator article was saying he was 'Project Fear', rather than agreeing with him.
Old 27-09-2022, 10:49   #380
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Apparently, it’s all Labour’s fault…

(This "gentleman" is a Daily Telegraph columnist, and an IEA Fellow/Academic Advisor (the IEA is a London-based free-market thinktank, mostly funded by US Right wing/Libertarian donations).

btw, Liz Truss’s chief economic adviser is Matthew Sinclair, former chief executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, who was the chief executive of Vote Leave. Andrew Lilico was Vote Leave's chief economist…

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 48796620-2448-409A-8309-513246013742.jpeg (94.4 KB, 53 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 27-09-2022 at 11:20.
Old 27-09-2022, 10:53   #381
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes, but the Spectator article was saying he was 'Project Fear', rather than agreeing with him.
Yes, forget the Spectator idiot. The point was the recent Chancellor who had an expert read on the country's finances was totally ignored when he predicted what would happen if the membership elected Truss over him.
Old 27-09-2022, 10:56   #382
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Apparently, it’s all Labour’s fault…

(This "gentleman" is a Daily Telegraph columnist, and an IEA Fellow/Academic Advisor (the IEA is a London-based free-market thinktank, mostly funded by US Right wing/Libertarian donations).
Old 27-09-2022, 10:56   #383
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

We know it's bad when even the staunchest government supporters amongst us are MIA, could it be because even in their most vivid dreams they never thought a UK government would be able to destroy UK plc so successfully, and it's not even a loony lefty labour one that's destroying it! It's almost as if the Conservatives have had enough of power and don't want it again for many many years so are making sure they won't even get a sniff of it again.

I bet Jezza is taking notes and learning where his (what now appear to be quite restrained and sensible) spending plans went so wrong and cost him the last election.
Old 27-09-2022, 11:18   #384
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Staunch Conservative & staunch government supporters are not always the same thing.

Hence I am not MIA and I need to see how this plays out on the short term.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-09-2022, 11:48   #385
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
We know it's bad when even the staunchest government supporters amongst us are MIA, could it be because even in their most vivid dreams they never thought a UK government would be able to destroy UK plc so successfully, and it's not even a loony lefty labour one that's destroying it! It's almost as if the Conservatives have had enough of power and don't want it again for many many years so are making sure they won't even get a sniff of it again.

I bet Jezza is taking notes and learning where his (what now appear to be quite restrained and sensible) spending plans went so wrong and cost him the last election.
Ultimately the underbelly of the Conservative support is people who believed that if the drawbridge was pulled up they’d be on the right side of it.

As it turns out you can be on safely above average earnings, have mortgaged yourself in an average house, and between inflation, energy and spiralling interest rates hundreds of pounds a month worse off.

That wasn’t the deal.

Last edited by jfman; 27-09-2022 at 12:00.
Old 27-09-2022, 12:42   #386
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Virgin Atlantic chief urges UK to reverse planned tax cuts to bolster pound

Virgin Atlantic’s chief executive has called on the UK government to “consider reversing” some policies announced last week to bolster the pound and assuage worries over the economy.

Shai Weiss on Tuesday said he was concerned about the direction of Liz Truss’s government since it took office less than a month ago.

“Truss said she would take difficult decisions upon entering into the role,” he said. “Maybe they need to take more difficult decisions to reverse the decline of the pound and ensure this country is not left with . . . perceived weakness in international markets.”

“Sometimes all of us in this room should be humble enough to say that if I said something that is not working, maybe I should reverse course, that is not a bad thing to do,” he added.
https://www.ft.com/content/9e973795-...5-d94c13753bb6

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Staunch Conservative & staunch government supporters are not always the same thing.

Hence I am not MIA and I need to see how this plays out on the short term.

Now is the time for all true Conservatives to step off the sidelines and ask for the unfunded tax cuts to be postponed.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 27-09-2022 at 14:14.
Old 27-09-2022, 16:25   #387
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Just vote Labour and everything will be fine.
Old 27-09-2022, 16:29   #388
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Just vote Labour and everything will be fine.
Apparently potentially voting Labour is a reason the markets didn't like the mini-not-budget

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/st...33068626579463

Quote:
I still think the market reaction was mainly to what the mini-Budget said about the BoE decision, but I've thought of a potential secondary factor. The market may have felt that the mini-Budget implied a Labour victory in 2024/25 is more likely than they had previously thought.+
Old 27-09-2022, 16:32   #389
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Apparently potentially voting Labour is a reason the markets didn't like the mini-not-budget

https://twitter.com/andrew_lilico/st...33068626579463
I've seen some straw-clutching in my time, but that takes the proverbial.
Old 27-09-2022, 16:35   #390
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I've seen some straw-clutching in my time, but that takes the proverbial.
As someone commented on that, it's difficult after 12 years to blame the last Labour government for current problems, so it's now time to apparently blame the next one instead