Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vyatta and modem mode

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vyatta and modem mode

Old 03-04-2013, 23:27   #1
MJPS
Inactive

Services: VM 30Meg
MJPS is an unknown quantity at this point
Vyatta and modem mode

Hi people
I think I must be missing something here as I do not get an 86.x.x.x address on the wan port of a vyatta router, I get 213.86.x.x so no connectivity.

All the ports are 100MBs

I have done the following:

Set the SHub to modem mode
Turned the Shub off
Powered back up and waited for the blue activity light
connected to the wan port on the vyatta router
power cycled the SHub again

The virgin symbol is haf red and half purple

I have left it on whilst I watched a film but no still no 86 address.

How long will I have to have the hub of for for it to accept the new mac?

I can't have the network down for ages.

Anyway off to bed now.
MJPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 23:54   #2
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Vyatta and modem mode

Nothing wrong with 213.86.xx which will be in the VM IP address range. IP addresses for router mode and modem mode are different.

You have focused on the IP address. In your penulatimate paragraph, you say the network is down. How is that made evident? You can't browse?

Can you tell me please what your local VM node is (like Reading or Cambridge or whatever so I can do some checking for you).

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 00:31   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

If using the Superhub in modem mode, only one port on the superhub is active and that is the only one that can be connected to the WAN port of your router. I believe you must use port 1, closest to the cable connection.

I would set the superhub to modem mode and then let it power down. Make sure the router is also powered down (if you have any doubt on what the router's settings are do a factory reset on that too). Now connect your superhub to the router. Only then should you power up the superhub in modem mode and let that settle down and wait for it, then power up the router.

But a quick google shows vyatta is a software based router system you have presumably installed onto a computer? If so, do you know if you have that configured correctly? To prove to yourself the superhub is working fine in modem mode, follow the setup procedure I outlined above but substitute a working ethernet wired based computer instead of the router and you should see the computer get a connection to the modem mode superhub and thus internet.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19   #4
MJPS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Nothing wrong with 213.86.xx which will be in the VM IP address range. IP addresses for router mode and modem mode are different.

You have focused on the IP address. In your penulatimate paragraph, you say the network is down. How is that made evident? You can't browse?

Can you tell me please what your local VM node is (like Reading or Cambridge or whatever so I can do some checking for you).
Hi Seph

Im in Middlesbrough, don't know the actual node though.

It manifests as no internet.

Rob

I have set up vyatta so it does masquearade from 192.168.0.0/24(lan) to eth0 (wan port).
I have only one firewall rule at the moment and that is to allow established,related connections in.
I'm following the Vyatta documentation, it is very clear.
I shall check the nat setup again (maybe I was to tired when iI did it) just to see if I have done something really stupid.

Will do further testing when people are not using the internet.

Thanks for the replies
Old 04-04-2013, 09:50   #5
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Ignore the LAN for the moment. Can you ping/traceroute etc from the Vyatta server to an Internet host?
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:07   #6
MJPS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretuk View Post
Ignore the LAN for the moment. Can you ping/traceroute etc from the Vyatta server to an Internet host?
Busy at the momment will get back to you on that.
Old 04-04-2013, 13:13   #7
MJPS
Inactive

Quote:
Hi fereetuk

Nope.
ssh'd into vyatta and:
Set the gateway to the wan address.

Tried pinging the name servers 194.168.4.100 and x.x.8.100 and got unreachable in reply.
Old 04-04-2013, 14:11   #8
ferretuk
Inactive

ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

There's the first thing to fix then!

Looks like you need to sort out WAN network settings and then make sure you can access both the SH web gui (192.168.100.1) and Internet hosts. Only then can you move on to your router setup...

What are the WAN (eth0?) and LAN (eth1?) settings on your Vyatta server?
Old 04-04-2013, 14:24   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The gateway address cannot be the WAN address, that obviously won't work.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 16:00   #10
MJPS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The gateway address cannot be the WAN address, that obviously won't work.
OK guys
I have three cards setup in a bridge br0 with an address of 192.168.0.254 for the lan side.

I did have the gateway for the box set for 192.168.0.254, I'll put that back.
I could not ping the name servers with the gateway set to 192.168.0.254 either.

The wan is set for dhcp and it gets a 213.81.67.95, dhcp sort out the wan gateway.

I can't get to the SHub through the box and have to connect a direct patch to a machine.

The bridge is working, been watching stuff off of a nas.

I am running through the SHub in normal mode now and watching a stream, I can't just hook the box up willy nilly since the connection is used heavily during the day.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 16:17   #11
ferretuk
Inactive

Not familar with Vyatta but this is nothing to do with VM or their 30M service.

Suggest asking a mod to move this to Networking.

No idea why you're bridging. I'd expect you to be setting up a router with two ethernet cards...

EthWAN gets config from DHCP - IP address, Subnet, Gateway
EthLAN set to static private IP with appropriate subnet mask and no gateway
Local clients have private IP (possibly set by DHCP server running on Vyatta box) and gateway set to EthLAN IP
Router software sits between EthWAN and EthLAN and provides routing, NAT etc.

First test Vyatta server with Vyatta running and check config of EthWAN i.e ping/traceroute to Internet and then bring up Vyatta to config.

In all honesty, I think you've got some reading to do

I'm sure you've read chapter 3 of this already though?
Old 04-04-2013, 16:30   #12
MJPS
Inactive

Quote:
Not familar with Vyatta but this is nothing to do with VM or their 30M service.

No idea why you're bridging. I'd expect you to be setting up a router with two ethernet cards...
Had some cards handy and wanted to use them for something, I'll take them out and and get it working first.

Quote:
First test Vyatta server with Vyatta running and check config of EthWAN i.e ping/traceroute to Internet and then bring up Vyatta to config.

In all honesty, I think you've got some reading to do
Yes probably, the vyatta basic setup manual is easy to follow. I should have gone directly to the vyatta forum since they have first hand knowldge.

No it's not a problem with virgin.

Moderator could you please move this thread to networking.
Old 04-04-2013, 16:39   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

thread moved
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:56   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Setting the box to be its own gateway will not work nomatter where you try to set it.

Do what Ferret says and stop deliberately entering an invalid configuration.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26   #15
MJPS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Setting the box to be its own gateway will not work nomatter where you try to set it.

Do what Ferret says and stop deliberately entering an invalid configuration.
OK, took the gateway out and am using it to write this.

Now to sort some firewall rules.