Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router for £35

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router for £35

Old 15-07-2015, 07:35   #1
Carlos Carboni

AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router for £35

Following various threads I came up with this:

I bought a TP link Archer C5 from Argos for £59.99 -- it has a special offer: get a c5 and you get a free USB3 AC1200 wifi stick. I sold the stick on ebay for £25

I flashed the C5 to dd-wrt (factory)

I flashed the C5 to the C7 firmware and voila it reports Hardware C7 and software C7. And it performs as C7.

And this under 10 minutes

The Argos C5 and C7 are the same hardware, only different firmware. The exact model is Archer C5 v1.2 with 3 Antennas. The Archer C5 V2 is inferior.

Not much difference between C7 and the ASUS AC68U (£129 ) in real terms --- certainly not worth the extra 95 quid. I have both.
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2015, 09:07   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router for £35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Carboni View Post

I flashed the C5 to the C7 firmware and voila it reports Hardware C7 and software C7. And it performs as C7.
Nice.

I was almost excited about the "AC1200" USB adapter but no, it's actually AC867.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 09:35   #3
Carlos Carboni

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Nice.

I was almost excited about the "AC1200" USB adapter but no, it's actually AC867.
?? Model T4U v1.0 AC1200 (867+300) did I miss something? I will be posting it to the winning bidder in a couple of hours.
Old 20-07-2015, 15:55   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
?? Model T4U v1.0 AC1200 (867+300) did I miss something? I will be posting it to the winning bidder in a couple of hours.
Yes, you missed the basics of how wireless works. There is no 867+300. It's either 867, or 300.

A 4Ghz processor that can throttle down to 1Ghz does not make it a 5Ghz processor.
Old 20-07-2015, 18:07   #5
Carlos Carboni

Quote:
Yes, you missed the basics of how wireless works. There is no 867+300. It's either 867, or 300.

A 4Ghz processor that can throttle down to 1Ghz does not make it a 5Ghz processor.
No worries, I did miss your irony "AC1200 is only AC867" but I understand a "1200" stick is a marketing term to describe this type of router/stick (I am also aware that the two numbers do not add up 1200 )
Old 20-07-2015, 18:16   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No worries, I did miss your irony "AC1200 is only AC867" but I understand a "1200" stick is a marketing term to describe this type of router/stick (I am also aware that the two numbers do not add up 1200 )
But did you like my awesome analogy?

Nevertheless. With routers, adding up the bands is questionably tolerable because they can be used at the same time - on a USB stick that is never possible.
Old 20-07-2015, 20:13   #7
Carlos Carboni

Quote:
But did you like my awesome analogy?

Nevertheless. With routers, adding up the bands is questionably tolerable because they can be used at the same time - on a USB stick that is never possible.
Cool!

yeap, also tethering with a stick with simultaneous dual band is a nono

you can tether and connect on the same band with a stick but still the maximum is 867