Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New router. Am I beeing attacked?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New router. Am I beeing attacked?

Old 14-07-2015, 09:45   #1
Wallace
cf.addict

Services: VM 200M
Wallace is on a distinguished roadWallace is on a distinguished road
Question New router. Am I beeing attacked?

Hi. I am a bit of a noob when it comes to the finer points of networking so please forgive me.

I have recently replaced my Apple AirPort Extreme router for a Netgear Nighthawk X4 R7500. It is connected to my SH1, which is in MODEM mode, via Ethernet.

The set up works well and every device on my network, either wired or wireless can connect. No problems there then.

I have a QNAP NAS directly connected to my R7500 and have set up an OpenVPN connection to it. To facilitate this, I have opened the appropriate port on my R7500. It also works well.

My NAS has a PLEX media server running on it, and again, I have opened the relevant port on the R7500. No problem.

Those are the only two ports I have forwarded. As an extra security measure I have disabled uPNP in the R7500.

Sorry for the waffle but I wanted to 'set the scene'.

The R7500 has comprehensive logging whereas the AirPort Extreme did not. When I check these logs I seem to be getting regular [DoS] 'attacks' etc.

These were probably happening before, but I didn't have the ability to log.

As far as I know, nothing has got through, but how would I know?

Need I be worried? Is there anything else I can do to strengthen security?

Thanks for reading.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement