Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | linksys wireless network keeps dropping...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

linksys wireless network keeps dropping...

Old 08-06-2007, 18:09   #1
db197
Inactive

db197 is an unknown quantity at this point
linksys wireless network keeps dropping...

Hi All,

I'm new on here, but am guessing this is not an unusual first post!

I have:

virgin cable, motorola cable modem + ethernet cable into a linksys WRT54GR wireless router. Then my desktop + a linksys WUSB54GR USB adapter.

I set it all up as instructed, configured the security (PKS-2), (can't remember spelling!), pwords etc. and it worked fine. the PC is in the room next to the router room, and the walls are only new build papermache...

Now sometimes its fine, sometimes (looking at the linksys monitor) it finds the router but not the internet, and sometimes it finds nothing.
The USB adapter shows as active but the 'link' LED doesn't always flash consistently
The modem and router LEDs all flash as expected
(NB - works fine if I ignore the wireless and plug the cable modem straight into the PC)

Generally I leave the PC powered on at the mains... but as the router and cable modem are in a bedroom I tend to power them off when not used.

So.... any ideas. any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Dan
db197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2007, 18:30   #2
martin42h
Inactive

Services: VM VIP, Freeview
martin42h is on a distinguished roadmartin42h is on a distinguished road
Re: linksys wireless network keeps dropping...

Does the PC work ok if you plug in into the Linksys router rather than the cable modem? Also when you restart the modem & router, you should power up the modem first and when it has connected properly, power on the Linksys.
martin42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 19:01   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

to Cable Forum

As more and more people get wireless, interference can be a problem. Try different wireless channels and see if that improves things.

May be worth checking you have the current version of the firmware for the router.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:36   #4
db197
Inactive

thanks guys!! will give them a try over the weekend, just to be sure....

Martin42h
"Does the PC work ok if you plug in into the Linksys router rather than the cable modem".
Do you mean modem into router into PC so its all wired?

Rob
How can I check the current version vs what I have?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13   #5
martin42h
Inactive

Services: VM VIP, Freeview
martin42h is on a distinguished roadmartin42h is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by db197 View Post
thanks guys!! will give them a try over the weekend, just to be sure....

Martin42h
"Does the PC work ok if you plug in into the Linksys router rather than the cable modem".
Do you mean modem into router into PC so its all wired?
Correct. If you then don't have the problem, its the wireless connection that is at fault (which is probably the case).
martin42h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03   #6
kpanchev
Inactive

Services: BB L package
kpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enoughkpanchev will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by db197 View Post
... but as the router and cable modem are in a bedroom I tend to power them off when not used.
Why do you switch off the modem and the router??? These are the two devices that are designed and supposed to be constantly on!!!
kpanchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 17:11   #7
db197
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpanchev View Post
Why do you switch off the modem and the router??? These are the two devices that are designed and supposed to be constantly on!!!
only because the mains plugs seem to get hot.... or is that normal?

presumably theres no health related affects from having wireless signals broadcast from the room you sleep in? or is this opening up the same discussion as mobile phones and radiation?!?!