Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 11-11-2018, 19:25   #361
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Most people won't notice any difference whatsoever, they'll continue to interact with people from all walks of society in a polite, respectful and friendly manner.

It's the minority who cause problems for others who will have to improve their behaviour if they wish to use the internet.

What is it that you'd want to say that this would prevent you from saying?
What I am saying is that your approach is a step nearer to the thought police. A huge problem is that we all have a different opinion of what is acceptable.

If you draw the line at threatening behaviour, everyone understands that.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Quote:
It's not the different views etc that are the problem, it's about people treating each other with respect and kindness.
Starting with oneself, of course.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2018, 19:30   #362
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

They can only get tough on UK based people, people outside the UK can and will say "Fuff you"
Old 11-11-2018, 20:21   #363
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
What I am saying is that your approach is a step nearer to the thought police. A huge problem is that we all have a different opinion of what is acceptable.

If you draw the line at threatening behaviour, everyone understands that.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:23 ----------

Starting with oneself, of course.
This is an excellent example of what I was referring to when I mentioned posts that were malicious in nature and purposely designed to stir things up. The accusation is also very ironic, given that at one point you were running rings around a member with learning difficulties who has since stopped posting.

You didn't answer my question as to what it is that you feel you would be prevented from saying when Ofcom (or whoever) clamp down on innapropriate postings.

Everyone does indeed have a different approach to what is acceptable, which is why fully trained and impartial moderators (paid for by the sites) will look at reports and make a decision as to what action, if any, needs to be taken (whilst taking into account that they have a duty of care to their users, some who may have specific needs or problems). This could be anything from dismissing the complaint, to giving a word of advice, to varying sanctions right through to legal action.

Any party who felt aggrieved would be able to appeal to a higher body or take legal action themselves, but most people are reasonable and I expect that the majority will behave with good grace.

The vast majority of people manage to use the internet without trying or actually causing problems for other (often vulnerable, disadvantaged or minority groups) in any way.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
They can only get tough on UK based people, people outside the UK can and will say "Fuff you"
It's intended that regulators from around the world will come together to perform a 'global assault' on those who use the internet innapropriately:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...buses-protect/

The term 'innapropriately' covers everything from grooming children, to fraud to the harrassment of (often vulnerable) people be it due to age, physical or mental disability, sexuality etc.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-11-2018 at 20:18.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 20:49   #364
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Anyone who genuinely thinks this will work successfully is either weapons-grade naive or lives with their head in the sand.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 21:08   #365
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
This is an excellent example of what I was referring to when I mentioned posts that were malicious in nature and purposely designed to stir things up. The accusation is also very ironic, given that at one point you were running rings around a member with learning difficulties who has since stopped posting.

You didn't answer my question as to what it is that you feel you would be prevented from saying when Ofcom (or whoever) clamp down on innapropriate postings.

Everyone does indeed have a different approach to what is acceptable, which is why fully trained and impartial moderators (paid for by the sites) will look at reports and make a decision as to what action, if any, needs to be taken (whilst taking into account that they have a duty of care to their users, some who may have specific needs or problems). This could be anything from dismissing the complaint, to giving a word of advice, to varying sanctions right through to legal action.

Any party who felt aggrieved would be able to appeal to a higher body or take legal action themselves, but most people are reasonable and I expect that the majority will behave with good grace.

The vast majority of people manage to use the internet without trying or actually causing problems for other (often vulnerable, disadvantaged or minority groups) in any way.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:12 ----------

It's intended that regulators from around the world will come together to perform a 'global assault' on those who use the internet innapropriately:

The term 'innapropriately' covers everything from grooming children, to fraud to the harrassment of (often vulnerable) people be it due to age, physical or mental disability, sexuality etc.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 21:09   #366
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Unless they are in Russia then Putin will say Get Stuffed.
Old 12-11-2018, 00:31   #367
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Everyone does indeed have a different approach to what is acceptable, which is why fully trained and impartial moderators (paid for by the sites) will look at reports and make a decision as to what action, if any, needs to be taken
ROFL.

I look forward to you paying my salary.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 08:33   #368
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Not so, Richard. Rather, this is an excellent demonstration of offence taken where none was intended.

I was merely pointing out that we should all practice what we preach.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:31   #369
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
ROFL.

Me too.
Old 12-11-2018, 18:18   #370
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not so, Richard. Rather, this is an excellent demonstration of offence taken where none was intended.

I was merely pointing out that we should all practice what we preach.
Of course we should, but you have a habit of repeatedly being offensive and then playing the innocent when pulled up about it. You seem to relish in being antagonistic and stirring things up, even to the point of referring to other members as "sparring partners". A debate doesn't have to be a fight of any sort.

It's interesting that you have still chosen not to answer my question as to what it is that you would be prevented from saying by this initiative.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
ROFL.

I have offered to help fund the site, but there's no reason that moderators will have to be paid for hobbyist sites like this. I would expect the big players like Facebook etc to pay people for their services though.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-11-2018 at 18:27.
Old 12-11-2018, 18:20   #371
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Of course we should, but you have a habit of repeatedly being offensive and then playing the innocent when pulled up about it. You seem to relish in being antagonistic and stirring things up, even to the point of referring to other members as "sparring partners". A debate doesn't have to be a fight of any sort.

I have offered to help fund the site, but there's no reason that moderators will have to be paid for hobbyist sites like this. I would expect the big players like Facebook etc to pay people for their services though.
Expect away...
Old 12-11-2018, 18:29   #372
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Expect away...
Well, they will have to in order to attract professionally trained moderators. I doubt that people will be willing to work for them on a voluntary basis!
Old 12-11-2018, 18:56   #373
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Hello....calling reality....come in please....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 19:12   #374
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

It's interesting that you have still chosen not to answer my question as to what it is that you would be prevented from saying by this initiative.

Richard, I was not being offensive. Read my post again. Why would you find anything offensive in my words?

You pick up on my use of the words 'sparring partners' and make me sound as though I was picking a fight. What I was doing was talking about those who seemed always to disagree with me on things, to our mutual enjoyment.

I think maybe you should re-visit your own posts over time and see whether these fit the bill of being 'kind' to others.

I am not out to pick fights, I am here to debate topics. If you don't want to hear alternative points of view to your own, don't post, and steer away from discussion forums.

We need to be tolerent of each other.

In answer to your question, I have answered it by saying that it is threats and threatening behaviour that should be looked into by the police. Anything less than that should not be. I am really quite offended by your post, but it is not a police matter, is it?

By your definition, we wouldn't be able to have any meaningful debates on here and we would all lose out as a result.

If I disagree with you, it is not personal, so stop taking it personally. Please.
Old 12-11-2018, 20:23   #375
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Well, they will have to in order to attract professionally trained moderators. I doubt that people will be willing to work for them on a voluntary basis!
That assumes they will have to attract professionals trained moderators - I have seen no evidence there will be a legal requirement for them to do this (or for any sort of moderator...).

There will be a meeting next year to discuss issues - it’s a giant leap from that to what you’re proposing.