Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 29-07-2022, 16:27   #1861
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A cynical comment. The government went ahead with its own confidence motion as an alternative to Labour’s.
How is highlighting misinformation ‘cynical’?

Her statement is untrue (just like Johnson’s was when he was corrected by the Speaker), and the Conservatives didn’t have to call a VNOC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46890481

Quote:
The government has said it will introduce a confidence motion in itself.

It had previously rejected the no-confidence motion proposed by the Labour Party because it referred to the prime minister.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2022, 16:36   #1862
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

What a load of bollocks. The bill would do nothing to stop that or stop such images or videos being shared. Every website in the UK that this would apply to does not allow that stuff to be posted and would take it down as soon as they saw it if it was. Now they might get fined if there is 5 minutes before they see something and take it down and people will abuse that by signing up to sites they want to cause grief and uploading banned stuff

ISP's use the IWF blocklist to block websites in other countries that might host that stuff too. It is not going to effect bulletproof hosting in different countries/jurisdiction where something like this might get hosted.

As for social media platforms and chat programs, I believe some of them hash images sent and block known hashes. Blaming a company that runs a chat program like Signal or Telegram which uses end to end encryption for something a user sends and is not stored on their server goes too far too. Personally I think this bill is part of GCHQ's plan to have blanket access to everyones phone so they can 'pre-scan' anything sent including text. They are being very vocal about this at the moment while this bill is being talked about.
https://www.computerweekly.com/news/...ht-child-abuse

100% it would be used to expand the 5 eyes network and scan anything on any phone at will without having to potentially burn exploits and C2 infrastrucrure.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 21:40   #1863
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I upset someone the other day during a training course by saying something they didn't like. I decided to apologise, as after all it was something I said that offended them. I told them I was sorry they were over sensitive and had taken what I said in completely the wrong way and out of context. Various people on the course told me they felt I was correct to react in the way I did. I didn't get an apology from the person who took offense, and I suppose I never will. Oh well, their loss.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 21:44   #1864
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I upset someone the other day during a training course by saying something they didn't like. I decided to apologise, as after all it was something I said that offended them. I told them I was sorry they were over sensitive and had taken what I said in completely the wrong way and out of context. Various people on the course told me they felt I was correct to react in the way I did. I didn't get an apology from the person who took offense, and I suppose I never will. Oh well, their loss.
Well done you for taking the right approach. They are probably annoyed with you now because you apologised and they have less to complain about now.
Old 30-07-2022, 00:38   #1865
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I told them I was sorry they were over sensitive ....

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 01:00   #1866
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

The OpenRights Group are heavily against the bill and the breaking of end to end encryption which they want to do as part of the bill.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog...nt-the-answer/

They have a lot of posts on encryption and the Online Safety bill here: https://www.openrightsgroup.org/camp...ve-encryption/
Old 04-08-2022, 12:46   #1867
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Facebook need to employ more moderators instead of trying to do it on the cheap.

A friend listed his dining room table as for sale and they took it down as sexually inappropriate content!!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:56   #1868
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Facebook need to employ more moderators instead of trying to do it on the cheap.

A friend listed his dining room table as for sale and they took it down as sexually inappropriate content!!
Over moderating by automatic tools will get worse if these new laws come in because they will try and moderate stuff they think could be troll related and those algorithms as you see often get things wrong.

You are campaigning for more suppression of tables. All dining room furniture matters!
Old 04-08-2022, 13:08   #1869
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Over moderating by automatic tools will get worse if these new laws come in because they will try and moderate stuff they think could be troll related and those algorithms as you see often get things wrong.

You are campaigning for more suppression of tables. All dining room furniture matters!
Lol, well all four legs were clearly on display in their entirety
Old 04-08-2022, 14:58   #1870
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Lol, well all four legs were clearly on display in their entirety

Quite offensive to those tables that only have three legs through no fault of their own.

The 5 legged tables who did not feel complete with only 4 legs now fear they will be supressed too!
Old 04-08-2022, 15:14   #1871
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post

Quite offensive to those tables that only have three legs through no fault of their own.

The 5 legged tables who did not feel complete with only 4 legs now fear they will be supressed too!
What about those who identify as a toaster?
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 17:34   #1872
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
What about those who identify as a toaster?

Life is really hard for those that are electric neutral. Forget cycling infrastructure, we need less AC and DC structure so we can cater to the safety for those that identify as polarity neutral toasters. Both 2 Pin and 3 pins! DEVICEACDC2P3P+
Old 04-08-2022, 18:35   #1873
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

@Maggy If you enjoy Lost Voice Guy, you might enjoy this comedy semi autobiographical series:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2nh1n

I'll also PM it to you in case you've stopped reading this thread.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:29   #1874
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A contributor to this programme, part of a series about the art of argument, suggests verifying who is posting, but not necessarily being made to use ones real name publically, on sites like Twitter. He argues that it isn't possible to go into a bank and deposit money without having to verify who you are, so why isn't the same thing done for posting online to prevent bots or inappropriate people like Putins family from posting things:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0019rj2

It's just over halfway through.
Old 06-08-2022, 14:54   #1875
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Why should Putins family be denied to voice their opinion online?

As much as I am against the idea of online identities, I really do think within 30 or 40 years such a system will be in place where you can't get on the internet without something to say who you are. Be it a government page login with all data going through them once you have logged in with some biometric built in to all new devices or a unique hardware device.

Even then it won't help because criminals, trolls, world leaders will still have ways to get anonymously using stolen devices which would trace back to the wrong person or other backdoors.

All it will do will make mass surveillance even easier than it already is.

People can fake identities quite easily and crime forums do and will sell fake identities setup to look kosha by using bots to make random posts across multiple platforms so the ID looks legit.

So again the police will be spending their time on all the low hanging fruit of people who say stupid stuff online because they can match up names easier instead of catching criminals that matter like those that commit robberies. Cybercriminals won't be affected either.

I have never used my real name or date of birth on any site I have signed up for except Online banking and Amazon type sites. Every site gets a different D.O.B and different email addresses. Even if a site wants a postcode to find something near me I have a list of postcodes to use for surrounding areas and don't re-use them. For one, so many sites and advertising on sites want some of that information to compile together about you and collate with bigger datasets which everyone and their dog can buy, so its good security to do this among other things.
Having a good understanding of DNS/browser/cookie/User agent/background services contacting update servers etc is also needed to avoid some of this stuff which most don't have so its fairly trivial for so many people, including the police to trace people as it is without forced real names behind logins which will just get hacked.

Last edited by Qtx; 06-08-2022 at 15:04.