Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 14-11-2018, 19:01   #391
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
And if children are playing, what provision could be made to stop them hearing obscenities?
Sensible arrangements would have to be agreed by all parties.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-11-2018, 19:01   #392
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It isn't 'my plan', don't know where you've got that from.

Labels would be undesirable and innapropriate for a whole host of reasons, so aren't part of the initiative However, those with protected characteristics would still be covered by the appropriate legislation.
Well, it's the plan you are advocating, but you haven't addressed the question which is fundamental to that plan.

So you want certain groups of people to be protected from comments that most of us will not be protected from. The elephant in your room is that unless those minority groups are labelled, we won't know who we have to treat more carefully than those people that we speak to in a normal way. We can't be expected to treat some people more gently if we don't know who they are.

For that reason, it won't work as you have described it, but the whole thing stinks anyway, so it will not come about.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 19:12   #393
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
What if I don't want that though?

What if I, as someone you class as 'vulnerable' due to my mental disabilities don't want to be treated any differently?
When I say "vulnerable" i'm referring to the descriptor used in (amongst other things) this initiative, as opposed to my opinion of you.

You don't have to disclose your disabilities to most people if you don't wish to and could certainly ask that any issues caused as a result of the affects of your disabilities is not taken into account or that provision is not made to take account of them.

Normally, the underlying reason to wanting to do this is because (like everybody else), disabled people have their pride and resent being thought of as less able than others or being treated any differently. The fact remains, however, that they are disabled and this will give rise to various issues during life. I've always found it best to just be completely honest.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, it's the plan you are advocating, but you haven't addressed the question which is fundamental to that plan.

So you want certain groups of people to be protected from comments that most of us will not be protected from. The elephant in your room is that unless those minority groups are labelled, we won't know who we have to treat more carefully than those people that we speak to in a normal way. We can't be expected to treat some people more gently if we don't know who they are.

For that reason, it won't work as you have described it, but the whole thing stinks anyway, so it will not come about.
You're concerns have been fully addressed in a previous response.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-11-2018 at 19:16.
Old 14-11-2018, 19:15   #394
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You don't have to disclose your disabilities to most people if you don't wish to and could certainly ask that any issues caused as a result of the affects of your disabilities is not taken into account or that provision is not made to take account of them.

Normally, the underlying reason to wanting to do this is because (like everybody else), disabled people have their pride and resent being thought of as less able than others or being treated any differently. The fact remains, however, that they are disabled and this will give rise to various issues during life. I've always found it best to just be completely honest.

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:10 ----------

You're concerns have been fully addressed in a previous response.
So those who wanted to be treated differently will be labelled so that they can be identified. That's the point I was making. Glad we got there in the end!
Old 14-11-2018, 19:19   #395
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from OLD BOY:

So those who wanted to be treated differently will be labelled so that they can be identified. That's the point I was making. Glad we got there in the end!
Easily done:

Old 14-11-2018, 19:24   #396
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Anyone in any doubt as to the challenges faced by various groups may find it useful to read this from a LGBT+ Jewish person and others. It relates to the forthcoming Trans Remembrance Day next Tuesday, where people murdered because of their differences are remembered:

https://www.stonewall.org.uk/our-wor...ay-remembrance

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

Quote:
No. Go back and read what I said properly.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Easily done:

As a self identified gay man, i'm surprised at this. You will surely have come across the abuse (or worse) of others if not yourself.
Old 14-11-2018, 19:25   #397
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Sensible arrangements would have to be agreed by all parties.
That really isn’t an answer, is it?

That’s the same as "something magic will happen"...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 19:27   #398
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
When I say "vulnerable" i'm referring to the descriptor used in (amongst other things) this initiative, as opposed to my opinion of you.
Now you're moving the goalposts. Your wording was pretty clear and encompassing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
Groups that need extra protection are those vulnerable by definition, such as children, those with mental or physical disabilities
I'm in that group and I neither want or need protection (extra or standard-level) by you or anyone else. It really annoys the brown-stuff out of me when people take it upon themselves to decide I that I do.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Quote:
As a self identified gay man, i'm surprised at this. You will surely have come across the abuse (or worse) of others if not yourself.
How about letting him (and myself) decide whether protection is wanted or needed?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 19:34   #399
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That really isn’t an answer, is it?

That’s the same as "something magic will happen"...
There isn't a clear cut answer. Sensible arrangements would need to be made to ensure that the disabled person has their needs met, whilst ensuring that young children aren't exposed to obscene language.

How would you manage the situation?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Now you're moving the goalposts. Your wording was pretty clear and encompassing:

I'm in that group and I neither want or need protection (extra or standard-level) by you or anyone else. It really annoys the brown-stuff out of me when people take it upon themselves to decide I that I do.

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

How about letting him (and myself) decide whether protection is wanted or needed?
You already have that right and this will not change. If you feel that you don't need or want any help, you aren't obliged to take it.

However, just because you believe that you don't need any help, doesn't mean that others in a similar situation should be denied it.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-11-2018 at 19:37.
Old 14-11-2018, 19:35   #400
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from Russ:

Perhaps because I don't get on my high horse at any perceived slight, real or imaginary. I have never received any abuse from members here related to my sexuality. Maybe because I don't push the agenda there is live and let live.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
Old 14-11-2018, 19:38   #401
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

No. Go back and read what I said properly.[COLOR="Silver"]
I did, actually. You explained that people could choose whether to get special treatment. So how are we to know those who do if they are not labelled?

It must be a simple question for you to answer, given that comment. How do we know?
Old 14-11-2018, 19:41   #402
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Perhaps because I don't get on my high horse at any perceived slight, real or imaginary. I have never received any abuse from members here related to my sexuality. Maybe because I don't push the agenda there is live and let live.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
I'm pleased to hear this, but it's disappointing that you prefer to walk away from discrimination. If others had of felt the same years ago, your life would be very different today.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Quote:
I did, actually. You explained that people could choose whether to get special treatment. So how are we to know those who do if they are not labelled?

It must be a simple question for you to answer, given that comment. How do we know?
This has already been answered.
Old 14-11-2018, 19:46   #403
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

You already have that right and this will not change. If you feel that you don't need or want any help, you aren't obliged to take it.

However, just because you believe that you don't need any help, doesn't mean that others in a similar situation should be denied it.
I'm guilty of beating about the bush so let me direct.

I consider you ignorant and arrogant for deciding that I need ANY kind of protection. Rather than looking at people as individuals you're deciding people need protecting because of them being in a 'group'.

Seriously, get down off your high horse. Don't go declaring problems where there aren't any.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Quote:

Not rationally it hasn't.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 19:49   #404
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I'm pleased to hear this, but it's disappointing that you prefer to walk away from discrimination. If others had of felt the same years ago, your life would be very different today.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Except that it hasn't.

If I tell CF that I am vulnerable because I have learning difficulties and sometimes I cry when people disagree with me, what does the forum do to alert users to this fact?

If they don't label that person, what do they do? It's a fair question, surely.
Old 14-11-2018, 22:23   #405
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
There isn't a clear cut answer. Sensible arrangements would need to be made to ensure that the disabled person has their needs met, whilst ensuring that young children aren't exposed to obscene language.

How would you manage the situation?

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

I wouldn’t, because it’s an unmanageable scenario - people with Tourette’s can’t control if/when they may utter obscenities, on-line gaming is millisecond critical, so delays cannot be introduced without ruining the game, so the only option is to allow people with Tourette’s to play without microphones, so as not to allow the possibility of children hearing obscenities.

Remember, it’s all about reasonable accommodations in order to avoid a disabled person being placed at a “substantial disadvantage” compared with non-disabled people when accessing these services and facilities, not blanket responses, and the Game Server providers have a duty of care to the children.

It is about what is practical in the service provider’s situation and they will not be required to make adjustments that are not reasonable because they are unaffordable or impractical.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote