Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 12-11-2018, 21:12   #376
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That assumes they will have to attract professionals trained moderators - I have seen no evidence there will be a legal requirement for them to do this (or for any sort of moderator...).

There will be a meeting next year to discuss issues - it’s a giant leap from that to what you’re proposing.
True, but this is what Germany have done and Ofcom seem to want to model their scheme upon theirs. Whilst there isn't a requirement for them to recruit an army of moderators, I think that the new 'duty of care' requirements will lead to this.

I've also attended a fair number of meetings regarding this and it does look like this is how the problem will be tackled by the sites, but you are correct, nothing definate has been decided yet.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Richard, I was not being offensive. Read my post again. Why would you find anything offensive in my words?

You pick up on my use of the words 'sparring partners' and make me sound as though I was picking a fight. What I was doing was talking about those who seemed always to disagree with me on things, to our mutual enjoyment.

I think maybe you should re-visit your own posts over time and see whether these fit the bill of being 'kind' to others.

I am not out to pick fights, I am here to debate topics. If you don't want to hear alternative points of view to your own, don't post, and steer away from discussion forums.

We need to be tolerent of each other.

In answer to your question, I have answered it by saying that it is threats and threatening behaviour that should be looked into by the police. Anything less than that should not be. I am really quite offended by your post, but it is not a police matter, is it?

By your definition, we wouldn't be able to have any meaningful debates on here and we would all lose out as a result.

If I disagree with you, it is not personal, so stop taking it personally. Please.
I have no problem whatsover with discussing alternative points of view.
<comments removed>

Going back on topic, what type of threats do you think should be covered by this initiative and which shouldn't?

Do you think that abuse, harrassment etc should be covered or that vulnerable groups should be afforded more protection?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2018, 21:45   #377
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Thats enough.
This [professional] moderator (Administrator) is getting tired of your attitude.
If your going to be offended by everyone who disagrees with you, might I suggest moving on.

Oh, and what's a "vulnerable group" ?
Who decides if they are 'vulnerable' (or even a 'group') ?
No matter how many ways you look at it, its all subjective, one persons opinion v another persons.

The Police clearly cannot cope with all the crime atm, without wasting resources on this.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 21:55   #378
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Do you think that abuse, harrassment etc should be covered or that vulnerable groups should be afforded more protection?
<removed>

On your question about protecting vulnerable groups more - how the hell does anyone know which posters are from vulnerable groups? Should we label them?

The whole thrust of your posts on this subject are impractical, unworkable and well over the top. I am not the only one saying this to you.

I am not attempting to antagonise anyone, Richard and I have not made any personal remarks to you in the post that you have taken exception to.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 12-11-2018 at 22:00. Reason: Enough as well.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 15:49   #379
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Groups that need extra protection are those vulnerable by definition, such as children, those with mental or physical disabilities etc or those who have historically been the subject of harrassment, bullying, abuse etc, such as members of the LGBT+ communities, non white people etc.

There are many ways that such people can be identified e.g. self definition, photographs, things picked up (or suspected) during the course of a conversation etc.

To clarify, these are not soley my ideas, but I am interested in garnering the views of others in a subjective capacity.

Do you think that these groups should be afforded more protection?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 13-11-2018 at 15:53.
Old 13-11-2018, 18:31   #380
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
No.

Why should certain, arbitary groups, get special treatment ?

Why do you think everyone else starts to resent these groups.

Old 13-11-2018, 19:26   #381
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Groups that need extra protection are those vulnerable by definition, such as children, those with mental or physical disabilities etc or those who have historically been the subject of harrassment, bullying, abuse etc, such as members of the LGBT+ communities, non white people etc.

There are many ways that such people can be identified e.g. self definition, photographs, things picked up (or suspected) during the course of a conversation etc.

To clarify, these are not soley my ideas, but I am interested in garnering the views of others in a subjective capacity.

The only way this could even get off the ground as an idea is if the people posting on the internet are labelled, and who wants that?

There is no way the public would accept such a thing, let alone Parliament.
Old 13-11-2018, 19:33   #382
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Groups that need extra protection are those vulnerable by definition, such as children, those with mental or physical disabilities
As someone who has a 'mental disability' (2 actually, ADHD and Aspergers) I don't want or need protection thanks.

And one thing that gets my goat is people deciding that I do.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 21:35   #383
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
No.

Why should certain, arbitary groups, get special treatment ?

Why do you think everyone else starts to resent these groups.
Because they are systematically oppressed, harrassed, discriminated against etc. Most people seem to have eventually accepted and embraced diversity and the belief that persons in the defined protected groups shouldn't be treated less favourably than others.

These groups were chosen for good reasons and not on a whim.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
As someone who has a 'mental disability' (2 actually, ADHD and Aspergers) I don't want or need protection thanks.

And one thing that gets my goat is people deciding that I do.
Not every disabled person is able to defend themselves. Should you suffer online abuse etc you won't be forced or obliged to use the protection afforded to you.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Quote:
The only way this could even get off the ground as an idea is if the people posting on the internet are labelled, and who wants that?

There is no way the public would accept such a thing, let alone Parliament.
No idea where you've got the labelling thing from, this is not part of the initiative at all.

I see you've evaded another question put to you.
Old 13-11-2018, 21:44   #384
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Most people seem to have eventually accepted and embraced diversity and the belief that persons in the defined protected groups shouldn't be treated less favourably than others.
They should not be treated more favourably than others either.

Quote:
These groups were chosen for good reasons and not on a whim.
"Good reasons" in your opinion, nothing more.

Quote:
I have warned you once, this is the last time, if I see you baiting others again I will put you on a forced rest period.

Old 13-11-2018, 21:48   #385
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

What happens when certain people lie about something that has happened and then fail to provide evidence when asked, even by moderators then scream harassment. What protection does that person get when they are accused of abuse and harassment that didn't happen?
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2018, 22:08   #386
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

No idea where you've got the labelling thing from, this is not part of the initiative at all.

If contributors to a forum are not labelled, how would you know to treat them differently? Your plan makes no sense.
Old 14-11-2018, 10:10   #387
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
If contributors to a forum are not labelled, how would you know to treat them differently?
Very good point. Will it come to the stage where anyone joining a forum or creating a social media account has to reveal any and all disabilities they have?

Would this then work against them in some cases? For example, a person who is an excellent online gamer is unable to become a member of an online gaming clan because they have Tourettes and swear constantly while playing.
Are they then said to be discriminated against because of the Tourettes or is it simply the clan rules that specify no swearing or cussing is allowed from anyone? Do they make an exception for that player, or will that cause unrest among the other members because the person is treated differently . . . . which sort of then discriminates against those players?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 18:36   #388
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
They should not be treated more favourably than others either.

"Good reasons" in your opinion, nothing more.
There are instances where if would be appropriate to treat a vulnerable person more favourably, in fact the law requires this where appropriate.

The 'good reasons' that I cite are not merely my opinion. The systematic oppression, abuse and prejudice of Jewish people, black people, gay people, women etc is historically factual.

---------- Post added at 17:28 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
If contributors to a forum are not labelled, how would you know to treat them differently? Your plan makes no sense.
It isn't 'my plan', don't know where you've got that from.

Labels would be undesirable and innapropriate for a whole host of reasons, so aren't part of the initiative However, those with protected characteristics would still be covered by the appropriate legislation.

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Very good point. Will it come to the stage where anyone joining a forum or creating a social media account has to reveal any and all disabilities they have?

Would this then work against them in some cases? For example, a person who is an excellent online gamer is unable to become a member of an online gaming clan because they have Tourettes and swear constantly while playing.
Are they then said to be discriminated against because of the Tourettes or is it simply the clan rules that specify no swearing or cussing is allowed from anyone? Do they make an exception for that player, or will that cause unrest among the other members because the person is treated differently . . . . which sort of then discriminates against those players?
All very good questions. Nobody has to declare that they have any type of disability, but may choose to do so. This is usually done as a matter of practicality for all concerned, or could be done to alert others that adjustments in the provision of goods and services are required or just as a matter of courtesy to explain an unusual pattern of behaviour.

In your Tourettes example, the non disabled players would be expected to make provision for the needs of the disabled player.
Old 14-11-2018, 18:49   #389
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

And if children are playing, what provision could be made to stop them hearing obscenities?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 18:53   #390
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
There are instances where if would be appropriate to treat a vulnerable person more favourably, in fact the law requires this where appropriate.
What if I don't want that though?

What if I, as someone you class as 'vulnerable' due to my mental disabilities don't want to be treated any differently?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote