Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Simple question for many of you out there (i hope)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Simple question for many of you out there (i hope)

Old 09-12-2011, 22:12   #1
mark2000
Inactive

mark2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Simple question for many of you out there (i hope)

Hi There,
This is my first post and am very inexperienced when it comes to computers so i'm after a bit of help if possible?
I have a standard pc running a netgear DG834 router, I have just bought a ipod touch so need a wireless signal
Am i right in thinking i can add a netgear wg602 (wireless access point) to the back of my router and away i go? is it that easy?
And one more question when the ipodtouch asks for conection code where do i find it?
Please forgive me if this sounds a bit basic to you experts but any help would be much appricated.
Many Thanks Mark
mark2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2011, 00:10   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Simple question for many of you out there (i hope)

to Cable Forum

Yes you should be able to add the WG602 to your existing router to enable wireless. You'd then have to log into that access point from your computer via the wired network, usually using your internet browser (internet explorer / firefox etc) to set up the connection code and password. If you don't set that up, any tom dick and harriet will be piggy backing off your network.

But you might find the wireless access point costs a similar amount to your getting a replacement, integrated wireless router. That will allow you to still plug your PC in wired, but the same box will also do all the wireless stuff and the one setup process would do all the password stuff too.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:25   #3
mark2000
Inactive

mark2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rob,
Thanks for taking the time to reply
I understand what you are saying and will have to have a think about it, The only thing that puts me off changing the router is the trouble i had setting the pc up in the first place i had to try 4 routers until i found one that aol would reconise (learnt not to take pc worlds advice)
Now i have the pc working i am reluctant to swap routers, If i tried a new one and couldn't get it to work work can i plug the old one back in and go back to how i am now? does it keep the settings etc.
Thanks again Mark
mark2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2011, 03:17   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Your old router should keep its settings without issue. As Rob said, you will need to set a password for your Wifi.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote