Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 16-10-2012, 18:44   #196
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Since it's been such a key policy of his, I wonder if Salmond will react to a 'no' vote by resigning or will he and his cohorts take a leaf out of the EU book and simply decide the question needs to be asked again?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2012, 20:47   #197
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

He's too arrogant to resign. I wonder what goes through his mind as he drifts off to sleep at night. I know what I'd like to go through his head...
Old 16-10-2012, 20:58   #198
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
He's too arrogant to resign. I wonder what goes through his mind as he drifts off to sleep at night. I know what I'd like to go through his head...
Something suitably sharp and rusty??...
Old 16-10-2012, 21:09   #199
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

9mm, or perhaps .50. Need something large calibre to ensure a direct hit on the very small brain. RPG at point blank range would do the job
Old 16-10-2012, 21:40   #200
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My grandad was born in Glasgow, he only left to marry my nan who was born and lived in London, where they lived until he went to WWII.

he was a very proud Scot, but was also British and served for King and country.

I would be very suprised if Scotland broke away form the UK.

If it was to happen the only thing that would be joint would be security of our island.
Old 17-10-2012, 15:17   #201
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I dread to think what would happen if the yes vote goes through. It would be a disaster for us here in Scotland. I know there are a lot of his followers of Salmon don,t believe in independance but still like some things that he has passed for us. I believe we all need each other to stay in the UK is a must.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 15:57   #202
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

The only impact I can see it having on the rest of the UK is it is unlikely that Labour could get a majority in what would remain of Parliament.

I foresee savings at the treasury overall, and change to B S T ( Now that would be good!)
Old 17-10-2012, 15:59   #203
Osem
Inactive

IMHO the SNP rely on stirring up nationalism amongst the few and the apathy/disenchantment of the many. The Scots have a big decision to make and I hope they get it right and don't base their decision on Salmond's soundbites. As an Englishman fed up with leftie lunacy, I'd quite like to see a lot fewer Labour MP's deciding our affairs, especially those doing so from the relative safety of Scotland.
Old 17-10-2012, 16:05   #204
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
IMHO the SNP rely on stirring up nationalism amongst the few and the apathy/disenchantment of the many. The Scots have a big decision to make and I hope they get it right and don't base their decision on Salmond's sounbites.
Why should they be any different to most voters & not react to sound bites. Sorry sad but true . This is the age of the " edited " quote,if you get my meaning
Old 17-10-2012, 18:26   #205
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
IMHO the SNP rely on stirring up nationalism amongst the few and the apathy/disenchantment of the many. The Scots have a big decision to make and I hope they get it right and don't base their decision on Salmond's soundbites. As an Englishman fed up with leftie lunacy, I'd quite like to see a lot fewer Labour MP's deciding our affairs, especially those doing so from the relative safety of Scotland.
Scottish voters have never paid too much attention to the SNP's drivel about independence. They are in power in Holyrood purely and simply because in Scottish Parliament elections they are the only viable alternative to Labour.

The SNP's popular electoral success does not, and has never, had nationalist undertones and Salmond knows this, which is why he has done everything he possibly can to delay the referendum and to set it in a context where he thinks he has at least an outside chance of success (Commonwealth games in Glasgow plus the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, an event sacred to Nats but which in my experience most Scots don't give a stuff about ... it is of similar significance to 1066 in the English consciousness and has about the same level of relevance in modern politics).

Of far more significance will be events marking the centenary of the Great War and the 75th anniversary of WWII, which of course will be draped in the Union Jack and will resonate strongly where most of Scotland's votes are - in and around Glasgow where in places the bomb scars are still evident.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 16:12   #206
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I might joke with mates about Scotland becoming separate from the UK but it's not something i really want. My national pride extends to the rest of the UK not just the section of it i happen to live, the days of the Scottish hating the English, vice versa etc etc are long gone. We're one nation now and it's times like these when the rest of Europe are in so much trouble that we need to stand shoulder to shoulder, not split over a sense of nationalism that belongs in the past.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 16:20   #207
Osem
Inactive

Seconded!
Old 20-10-2012, 16:31   #208
RizzyKing

I cannot see there being a yes vote on this in 2014 but what does worry me is what that idiot salmond is going to do in the next couple of years to try and bribe voters. Also i admit i havn't read much on this detail wise but if they do vote no how long will it be before they are asked to vote again is there a minimum time or could they have a vote every year.
Old 20-10-2012, 17:05   #209
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It might depend on the size of the defeat. If separatism eventually attracts as little support as it currently enjoys (around 30%) then it would be difficult for them to push for another vote in under 20 years at least, I would have thought.

However, an interesting issue now arises - the SNP accepts the precedent that the Scottish Parliament does not have the power to hold a referendum on the separation of Scotland from the UK. What happens if there's a resounding 'no' vote, then 10 years from now the SNP is in a position to call another? Does Westminster refuse to make the power available?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 17:22   #210
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Since it's been such a key policy of his, I wonder if Salmond will react to a 'no' vote by resigning or will he and his cohorts take a leaf out of the EU book and simply decide the question needs to be asked again?
He will continue to ask until such time as he gets what he says is the right answer.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
I might joke with mates about Scotland becoming separate from the UK but it's not something i really want. My national pride extends to the rest of the UK not just the section of it i happen to live, the days of the Scottish hating the English, vice versa etc etc are long gone. We're one nation now and it's times like these when the rest of Europe are in so much trouble that we need to stand shoulder to shoulder, not split over a sense of nationalism that belongs in the past.
Well said.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote