Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | getting my partners MacBook onto our wireless home LAN using AirPort

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

getting my partners MacBook onto our wireless home LAN using AirPort

Old 28-12-2009, 10:37   #1
zorba
Inactive

zorba is an unknown quantity at this point
getting my partners MacBook onto our wireless home LAN using AirPort

I don't have much experience with Macs but know a bit about basic networking, well enough to set up a home network based on a cable modem, cable router with both wired and wireless PC clients.

My partner has a MacBook which used to be on the wireless network. I had to reset our router and start again. I can get all the PC's back onto the LAN, but not the MacBook.

We are trying to use AirPort. I'm not even sure how/where to open up the network config. settings in MacOS so if we could start there.

I'm ok with most of the networking concepts (just need to know how/where to configure them in the mac)
zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2009, 11:03   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: getting my partners MacBook onto our wireless home LAN using AirPort

Go to the Apple menu (top left of the screen), click it and select System Preferences. Then look under Internet & Network, and click the Network icon.

You can then either set the thing up manually, or else click the 'Assist Me' button and let the wizard guide you. Post back if you're still stuck.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 11:05   #3
zorba
Inactive

ok thanks

airport is on, but not finding our network. Picking up a neighbours though!
Should pick up ours because this PC laptop I'm typing on is picking it up, and its right beside the MacBook.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:12   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Is the Airport hub set to broadcast its SSID?
Old 28-12-2009, 11:32   #5
zorba
Inactive

I'm using a Netgear Rangemax router (WPNT834), so not specifically Apple or Airport-enabled kit.

in the router settings under "Wireless Advanced"
Enable SSID Broadcast = YES

---------- Post added at 11:32 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

I'm thinking it must be some setting on the router is stopping the mac picking up the network's presence. Now we are right beside the wireless router and its still not picking it up!

Under Wireless settings I have :
Region: Europe (choices are Europe, Asia, Australia)
Channel: 01 (choices are auto, 01, 02 etc to 13)
Mode: g and b (choices are "g and b", "g only", up to 126Mbps, up to 240Mbps)

I tried changing channel from the defaults of auto to 01
and mode from default of 240Mbps to "g and b"
Old 28-12-2009, 11:34   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Hmmm

When you say the Airport is 'on', do you mean that it is check-marked and at the top of the list when you view the Network Port Configurations pane within Network Preferences?

See screencap below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Network-Prefs.jpg (50.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 28-12-2009, 12:32   #7
zorba
Inactive

Our UI is slightly different (sorry, too much of a mac klutz to give u a screenscrape) but we have 3x protocols down the left, with location at the top.

the protocols are from top to bottom
Ethernet "connected" (green LED icon)
Airport "on" (yellow LED icon)
Firewire " " (red LED icon)

As far as I can remember, the Airport LED goes green when actually connected. By "on" I mean that Airport is enabled, and ready to connect, if only it could find an SSID.
Old 28-12-2009, 13:05   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

The problem you have is that the Macbook thinks it has a valid connection via wired ethernet. This is connected and active (green LED icon). It knows that there's a wireless connection available but isn't connecting to it because it doesn't need to, having already established a wired connection (hence the amber LED icon). Firewire is enabled as a networking connection but is not in use, hence red.

You should be able to click and drag in that list to put Airport to the top. Do that, then log out/in and see what happens.
Old 28-12-2009, 14:04   #9
zorba
Inactive

pulled out the ethernet cable (which I'd only had in temporarily - maybe for last 30-60mins, and not since this problem started) and rebooted the mac.

still not picking up our home wireless network (under the Airport icon in status bar), but picking up between 1 and 3 neighbouring networks...

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

We are on:

Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8

(under Apple icon > About this Mac
... in case I forget! )
Old 28-12-2009, 15:04   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I'm not sure what you mean by 'picking up'?
Old 28-12-2009, 15:48   #11
zorba
Inactive

picking up = showing up as available wireless networks (under the Airport menu)

---------- Post added at 15:48 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

A few days ago to get the rest of the network going I'd reset the factory defaults on the router. Then I'd upgraded the firmware on the router from 1.041 (i think) to 1.051.

I saw something on the apple forum abut a guy with this router, needing to go back some versions on his firmware to be able to see his wireless network, so I went back to 1.041

Hey presto, now we can see the wireless network!
Joining it is now easy because by now I've disabled security to make it as simple as possible.

Maybe your solution @splait of "forcing" the connection, even without the SSID appearing would have worked. but for now, happy to run with older version of firmware.

I looks like this is why it used to work before I reset & upgraded the router.

Thanks to all!
Old 28-12-2009, 15:50   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Yep, it would appear that there is something about the firmware you 'upgraded' to that MacOSX didn't like ...
Old 28-12-2009, 18:41   #13
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I was going to suggest manually adding the SSID and seeing if that worked...but no need now
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote