Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help Choosing a new router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help Choosing a new router

Old 13-03-2006, 00:46   #1
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Help Choosing a new router

For a while now I have had an Origo 802.11g wireless router (the 108mbps turbo model). While this model is fine for basic web browsing it does have its shortfalls. Things such as a p2p can cause the router to reboot, Occasionally large file transfers over the network can also cause the device to reboot. And the interface isnt that good either.
Finally I have gotten sick of this and have decided the time has come to replace my router with a better model. Though obviously the question now is, What router do I go for?
The router needs a minimum of 4 ports (Standard usually anyway)
Needs to be Wireless G Standard (108mbps is preferable though 54mbps is acceptable)
Needs to be stable since thats the only reason I am getting rid of the old one
It would also be nice if it had VPN and print server functions though these arnt important.

Any reccomendations welcome.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2006, 00:53   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Help Choosing a new router

I don't know about vpn and print server, but my linksys WRT54G has worked flawlessly from day one (as the wired linksys router it replaced did). It's one of the most popular routers on this forum I believe.
Old 11-04-2006, 16:15   #3
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Help Choosing a new router

Just thought I would let you know that I bought that router you reccomended, Has increased my signal strength for my wireless devices from an average of 70%-80% upto full 100% strength and 100% signal quality.
The interface is a lot better too, and the descriptions are quite handy. Thanks for the suggestion mate, time will tell if it is going to be stable but im impressed so far
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote