Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problem logging to internet using Mandriva LiveCD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problem logging to internet using Mandriva LiveCD

Old 06-05-2007, 15:31   #1
deedoubleu
Inactive

deedoubleu is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem logging to internet using Mandriva LiveCD

I am a new member on this forum with limited IT knowledge. I am exploring Linux as an alternative to Win98SE using a LIVE CD of Mandriva One. It does look pretty good. However I am having difficulty logging to the internet. I use VM broadband via an Actiontec router using a usb connection to my old Tinypc.

Is it because Linux does not work with a usb? Do I need a driver?

If I was able to surf using Linux, I am thinking of partioning the HD and have a dual boot system. Win98SE and Mandriva linux. Are there any drawbacks with this setup?

Thanks
dw
deedoubleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2007, 15:34   #2
zing_deleted

Re: Problem logging to internet using Mandriva LiveCD

it wont have drivers for the modem sorry router . Does it have ethernet? if so try that if that fails it may not have drivers for that either
Old 06-05-2007, 15:34   #3
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

You'll need the USB driver for the adaptor, can you not just work straight to ethernet as this should work out of the box with all Operating systems.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 15:35   #4
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

to the forum.

Its because of the USB. They need special drivers and I am not sure if there are any Linux ones available. VM don't provide any.

The best thing to do is to buy an ethernet card. They are less than 10 quid new, and once you have one you can use an ethernet cable and Linux would detect it fine and use the Internet.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 15:37   #5
zing_deleted

if you buy an ethernet adapter make sure its either driven natively in the distro your using or comes with a linux driver
Old 06-05-2007, 15:39   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Assuming the Actiontec router is wireless & you connect via a usb wireless adaptor, what make & model is the usb dongle?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 15:46   #7
deedoubleu
Inactive

Thanks guys
I don't have an ethernet port on my pc. I guess I will need to buy a ethernet card and try that out first. I believe it should speed up my connection as well.

dw

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Assuming the Actiontec router is wireless & you connect via a usb wireless adaptor, what make & model is the usb dongle?
The Actiontec router is wireless and connected to set top box by ethernet. I should have clarified that my pc is connected to the Actiontec box by usb 2 (?).

dw
Old 06-05-2007, 15:48   #8
zing_deleted

so your wired to the pc (this is how I saw it(ive seen actiontec iirc with lan via enet and usb ) the router would need a driver to run off usb. Remember my point about making sure anything you buy to add comes with a linux driver that works with the distro you fancy or you will be no better off

I take it you got it all working fine on win 98?
Old 06-05-2007, 15:50   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

So it's a wireless usb adaptor that you plug into your pc? What make & model is the adaptor?

The reason I ask, is that certain linux distros will detect certain wireless usb adaptors from a live CD...
Old 06-05-2007, 15:50   #10
zing_deleted

oh im confused now im assuming its hard wired via usb
Old 06-05-2007, 15:56   #11
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedoubleu View Post
Thanks guys
I don't have an ethernet port on my pc. I guess I will need to buy a ethernet card and try that out first. I believe it should speed up my connection as well.
That's correct. Also, it will speed up your computer (which as you say, is quite old), as USB adaptors do take some of your computer's processing power. Ethernet cars do all the processing on board, so uses less of your computer.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 16:08   #12
deedoubleu
Inactive

I have re checked my the connections. I have a cable modem connected to the settop box which is in the lounge. The Actiontec (model GT701-WRU) is in connected to the modem by a cable in another room using the Cable/DSL port. My pc is linked to the actiontec router by usb. The actiontec router also has a ethernet connection which I cannot use because my pc does not have a ethernet port. The whole setup works OK under Win98 with my son able to use his AppleMac wirelessly. The problem is I cannot see my broadband connection when I boot my pc from the Madriva One CD.
Old 06-05-2007, 16:12   #13
zing_deleted

as has been said its a driver. If you buy a ethernet card for your pc and use the ethernet lan that is you best chance but please dont take it forgranted this card will work either unless you ensure there is a linux driver for it
Old 06-05-2007, 16:20   #14
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedoubleu View Post

I have re checked my the connections. I have a cable modem connected to the settop box which is in the lounge. The Actiontec (model GT701-WRU) is in connected to the modem by a cable in another room using the Cable/DSL port. My pc is linked to the actiontec router by usb. The actiontec router also has a ethernet connection which I cannot use because my pc does not have a ethernet port. The whole setup works OK under Win98 with my son able to use his AppleMac wirelessly. The problem is I cannot see my broadband connection when I boot my pc from the Madriva One CD.
Is there a physical wire connecting your PC to the Actiontec router?
Old 06-05-2007, 16:23   #15
deedoubleu
Inactive

dw