Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another NTL wireless setup issue - please help if you can???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Another NTL wireless setup issue - please help if you can???

Old 14-03-2006, 19:23   #1
nbradon
Inactive

nbradon is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Another NTL wireless setup issue - please help if you can???

Hello

I'm a newbie. This is driving me mad. Here's my story. I'm in Ireland if that makes a difference??

I know there have been several posts regarding wireless, but I can't find my answer and am now desparate.

1. Bought a new computer (Intel Dual Core - lovely).
2. Configured by NTL cable modem from USB to Ethernet with no CD, i.e. just followed Internet tips. As I sit, I am on the internet via cable modem (NTL home:120) with no issues.
3. I decide to go hi tech and buy a wireless router. Plan is to link to new PC via ethernet still from router and use my laptop for wireless.
4. I bought a Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Router. Big PC chain told me this would work. This is after 5 people in shop couldn't help. Of the 2 that did, 1 handed me an ASDL router which I definetely didn't want!! I was told the wireless G will work with NTL.
5. Followed the easy setup (yeah easy not quite!!).
6. Learning from a friend of friend, he stated that I should set up IP address as PPPoe.
7. Asked for a password and username. SEE BELOW
8. Removed ethernet connection from PC and plugged into router. Ran blue cable from router to ethernet hub on PC. Turned on power.
9. Software went through the routine of checking router etc.
10. Keeps on timing out. Can' find internet connection.
11. LED's on Belkin appear normal (power, modem, wireless, 1 etc) however internet light is blinking. According to manual this means an issue.

So, the password thing. My friend of a friend had a password and username to enter. I call NTL broadband (in Ireland). They stated that Broadband is always on so no password is needed. I think this is the issue. Only password username I have is the first.second@ntlworld.com etc etc N o matter what I do, I can't bypass the username screen. Manual states to leave it blank and click okay if no password is needed.

My questions to the forum.

1. Reading my story, am I doing anything wrong?
2. Should there be a password for NTL/Belkin setup screen?
3. What should IP be setup as, e.g. static, dynamic, etc.?

Thanks in advance. I know someone out there can help!!
nbradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2006, 19:26   #2
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W
Re: Another NTL wireless setup issue - please help if you can???

If you are in Northern Ireland then you don't need to select PPPoE. I'm not 100% sure of the setup in Eire, but if it is the same as ntl in the UK then same applies- don't select PPPoE.

You should obtain your ip address and dns servers by dhcp.
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 19:40   #3
nbradon
Inactive

Thanks for reply. I am in Eire.

I think this topic is same issue as mine!!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=44294

I will see if anyone replies over next day or so before I try another router from a different maker!! I find it hard to believe so many are damaged. I really think it's an NTL/Belkin compatability issue.
Old 15-03-2006, 12:01   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Hi,

Looking at the belkin manual, did you use the CD wizard setup, or manually configure it?

Did you power cycle the CM when switching between PC and Router?

It looks like you only need a password if you select PPPoE, whereas you should have Wan connection type set to dynamic.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2006, 21:27   #5
nbradon
Inactive

Aragon

Thanks for your help. Guess what, after 10mins, I am now up and running.

Set the IP address to dynamic. No password needed and connected first time. Two weeks of headache have come to end. What is interesting is that friend of friend stated he had to set his NTL up with PPPoe and password!! Not me though!!!