Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 29-12-2021, 20:52   #3631
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
So what? Sovereignty is the reason for Brexit and the 4% is priced in by the 52%.
It might be by you and Chris but there's plenty of Leavers I know who still believe the spin that we won't be worse off. Ask them who's paying for the customs checks and paperwork and it gets interesting!

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You do realise that all these “hasn’t happened” arguments have all the credibility of a child asking if we’re there yet when the car’s barely off the drive?
I expect the Brexit process to be defended in this thread but this is not its strongest defence. If one of the cited selling points of the Referendum 6.5 years ago was to remove red tape, then surely we at least knew what the red tape was that we were going to get rid of? If this was impeding the economy then it would seem sensible to remove it at the same time as we were busy erecting more red tape for exporters? Or at the very least, given Covid, to have a timetable for its removal?

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Think you aimed that one at Andrew by mistake, you should be pulling Old Boy up on his 'how do you know as it hasn't happened yet' arguements he does it quite often (for example, see his post immediately before the one of yours I've quoted).

To be honest though, Old Boy is nothing but consistent - his claims of the benefits still to come from Brexit are just like a rehash of his claims of the (impendingish) end of TV as we know in the next cough cough number of years.
Yup. Optimism is a likable personality trait, but you can't base a business or economy on it.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2021, 21:00   #3632
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It might be by you and Chris but there's plenty of Leavers I know who still believe the spin that we won't be worse off. Ask them who's paying for the customs checks and paperwork and it gets interesting!

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

I expect the Brexit process to be defended in this thread but this is not its strongest defence. If one of the cited selling points of the Referendum 6.5 years ago was to remove red tape, then surely we at least knew what the red tape was that we were going to get rid of? If this was impeding the economy then it would seem sensible to remove it at the same time as we were busy erecting more red tape for exporters? Or at the very least, given Covid, to have a timetable for its removal?

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Yup. Optimism is a likable personality trait, but you can't base a business or economy on it.
Yup. It’s like having ‘hope’ in a plan - if it’s in your plan, you’re likely to fail…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2021, 21:05   #3633
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If one of the cited selling points of the Referendum 6.5 years ago was to remove red tape, then surely we at least knew what the red tape was that we were going to get rid of?
I don’t recall “red tape” being a major deal maker/breaker in the debate……such as it was.

Also if you think Jimmy Davis, from Peterlee was basing his decision on that, you have learnt nothing in the last 5 years.
Old 29-12-2021, 21:07   #3634
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Your appeal to the date of the referendum is a deliberate obfuscation.

Regulatory change is something that couldn’t be planned in any serious way while the degree or ongoing alignment with the EU was unresolved. Don’t forget (I’m sure you haven’t really) that for 3 years the government was led by Theresa May who clearly wanted to retain as much alignment with the EU as she could get away with.

As for covid, well most politicians seem to accept that these are highly unusual times. Even the SNP accepts its own constitutional project must wait until some semblance of normality has returned. And once we get do get to it, it would be very tricky to deal with “regulations” in a single act of parliament. There are lots of different rules affecting lots of different things. Regulatory divergence from the EU is a project that will unfold organically over many, many years.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 11:56   #3635
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Also if you think Jimmy Davis, from Peterlee was basing his decision on that, you have learnt nothing in the last 5 years.
You are right. If it is the Jimmy Davis from Peterlee that I know of, it was all about getting rid of foreigners.

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yup. It’s like having ‘hope’ in a plan - if it’s in your plan, you’re likely to fail…
Slight correction: hope was the Plan. Oh, and "opportunities"

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Quote:
So what? Sovereignty is the reason for Brexit and the 4% is priced in by the 52%.
Now we are getting to the crux of things. You and others were happy to pay* any price to get this project over the line. However, the majority of those voting Leave were not. In fact, they were expecting little or no downside because that is what they were told.

If the self-evident risks were clearly acknowledged by Leave at the time, they would not have won. This is why this is and was the Big Con.

*more accurately, for others to pay
Old 30-12-2021, 13:07   #3636
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
<SNIP>

Now we are getting to the crux of things. You and others were happy to pay* any price to get this project over the line. However, the majority of those voting Leave were not. In fact, they were expecting little or no downside because that is what they were told.

If the self-evident risks were clearly acknowledged by Leave at the time, they would not have won. This is why this is and was the Big Con.

*more accurately, for others to pay
I only went as far as the 4% you have claimed. I don't think you have any evidence that the bulk of the 52% bought the sunlit uplands guff nor that there would be no downsides.

It appears that you have hung your Remainer credentials on the fall in GDP whereas that is recoverable.

You are a very bitter Remainer.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 13:22   #3637
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
I only went as far as the 4% you have claimed. I don't think you have any evidence that the bulk of the 52% bought the sunlit uplands guff nor that there would be no downsides
I quoted a reference to exactly this earlier in this thread, I guess it was not in blue so you missed it.

---------- Post added at 13:22 ---------- Previous post was at 13:20 ----------

It seems the French have taken back control:

https://twitter.com/LeShuttle/status...45791027179524

Quote:
URGENT UPDATE FOR BRITISH RESIDENTS IN EU: Following a French Government decision, on 28/12/2021, unless they hold French residency, British citizens are now considered 3rd country citizens and can no longer transit France by road to reach their country of residence in the EU.
Old 30-12-2021, 13:41   #3638
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

I feel that someone is still bitter and twisted about losing the referendum. this time next year we'll be millionaires
Old 30-12-2021, 14:02   #3639
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I quoted a reference to exactly this earlier in this thread, I guess it was not in blue so you missed it.

I think you'll find that is incorrect. Don't believe everything you see on social media.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 14:33   #3640
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Even an article in the eu loving guanriad refers to the ban as a COVID decision.

So nothing at all to do with this thread as I'm sure the poster knew.

Link
Old 30-12-2021, 14:42   #3641
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Even an article in the eu loving guanriad refers to the ban as a COVID decision.

Link
Surely the French "taking control of their borders" is relevant to Brexit thread, as that was one of the main drivers for Leave voters?

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/0...endum-and-why/

Quote:
One third (33%) said the main reason was that leaving “offered the best chance for the UK to regain control over immigration and its own borders.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 14:59   #3642
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I think third country status enables France to do this to us. I doubt their paymasters in Berlin would allow it to happen to ze Germans.

I know the forum loves binary but being Brexit or Covid aren’t mutually exclusive positions for this one.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2021, 15:06   #3643
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Surely the French "taking control of their borders" is relevant to Brexit thread, as that was one of the main drivers for Leave voters?

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/0...endum-and-why/
On what planet?
Old 30-12-2021, 15:08   #3644
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I think you'll find that is incorrect. Don't believe everything you see on social media.
Here's the details on the Eurotunnel web site:

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travel...covid-19/#foca and the French Consulate site: https://uk.ambafrance.org/FAQ-Travel...nce-and-the-UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post

Link
You really haven't being paying attention have you? Brexit is all about sovereignty (as Seph will attest) and taking control of your borders .. which the French have done.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think third country status enables France to do this to us. I doubt their paymasters in Berlin would allow it to happen to ze Germans.

I know the forum loves binary but being Brexit or Covid aren’t mutually exclusive positions for this one.
I think this degree of nuance may be a bridge too far
Old 30-12-2021, 15:37   #3645
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

The spitefulness of Macron is one good reason for not wanting to be in the EU which he will now try to dominate.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote