Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New PC Build Enquiry

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New PC Build Enquiry

Old 10-05-2023, 16:48   #1
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough
New PC Build Enquiry

I'm gonna be building a new gaming PC for both of us to use.

Its the first time I've built a pc since dads death and I have a question

We will be using AMD again and just wondered what the main differences are between the B and X series boards.

Thanks.
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2023, 17:06   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: New PC Build Enquiry

What CPUs are you specifically looking at?
G has Graphics X I believe do not have graphics there are a couple of HS chips that I know little about but do have graphics I believe.

If you are going AM5 ( mainly 3D chips I think) I am not sure it is a good idea at present as there are some issues that are a little worrying. AM4 has been around a long time and is find.

Personally if it was me I would wait till AM5 3D issues are sorted (if you wanted one of these performance beasts) as AM5 should have years ahead. It all depends on budget I guess.

I personally just built me a cracking Intel system with DDR5 very nice
Old 10-05-2023, 17:13   #3
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

I'm going for the Ryzen 9 7900X Am5.
Old 10-05-2023, 17:25   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
I'm going for the Ryzen 9 7900X Am5.
So that does have graphics. AMD naming makes no sense haha it does look like they may well have dropped the G.

Good choice you should be good with that

Just from looking at benchmarks the 13770K is a better cpu and a fraction cheaper but motherboards will be more expensive and AM5 wil likely last longer. Are you intending to install a GFX Card?
Old 10-05-2023, 19:49   #5
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

It seems they've fixed the AM5s over heating CPU problems with the x and the X3Ds via a BIOS update. So far my 7950X3D is stable and temps are all good. Obviously a huge relief.
Old 10-05-2023, 19:57   #6
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
It seems they've fixed the AM5s over heating CPU problems with the x and the X3Ds via a BIOS update. So far my 7950X3D is stable and temps are all good. Obviously a huge relief.
It was quite scary what they were doing. GN went into quite a bit of detail

It was more to do with voltage going through the chip physically damaging it and literally blowing them up from the inside
Old 11-05-2023, 07:42   #7
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
So that does have graphics. AMD naming makes no sense haha it does look like they may well have dropped the G.

Good choice you should be good with that

Just from looking at benchmarks the 13770K is a better cpu and a fraction cheaper but motherboards will be more expensive and AM5 wil likely last longer. Are you intending to install a GFX Card?
I got a Nvidia 1080 atm but when I can afford the prices will be getting a 4080

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 ----------

Quote:

It was more to do with voltage going through the chip physically damaging it and literally blowing them up from the inside
That's good to know the probs are fixed, I will be using a liquid cooler to cool the chip.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:17   #8
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I got a Nvidia 1080 atm but when I can afford the prices will be getting a 4080

---------- Post added at 07:42 ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 ----------

That's good to know the probs are fixed, I will be using a liquid cooler to cool the chip.
It was the SoC voltage that was set too high for those chips. The new BIOS changed that to now be under 1.30v. Cooling them with whatever wouldn't have made any difference as far as I know. But at least it seems to be fixed.

The 4080 is a nice card, I went for the 4090 for a bit of future proofing (if there's such a thing). My last PC lasted me 9 years (I had the 1080 too) and I hope this one lasts anywhere near as long.

Obiously with a new build with something like a 4080 you'll need to change your monitor as well, my last monitor was only 1080p 60hz, so had to fork out another £500+ for a M28U otherwise my new PC would have been pointless.

That said going from 1080p 60hz to 4k 144hz is really something I can tell you.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:45   #9
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Both my current monitors are 4K Samsung.
Old 11-05-2023, 16:25   #10
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Quote:

A video about this issue was posted here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfnuNnik6Gc
Old 11-05-2023, 17:06   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
A video about this issue was posted here.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfnuNnik6Gc
Gamers Nexus has gone into a hell of a lot more detail on this

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Asus has actually made matters worse with their Bios update

So if you are going Asus they have not fixed it yet

You want to sub to Gamers Nexus or Jayz2Cents and I suppose Linus but he is more about acting the goat

Old 11-05-2023, 23:19   #12
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Quote:
Gamers Nexus has gone into a hell of a lot more detail on this

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Asus has actually made matters worse with their Bios update

So if you are going Asus they have not fixed it yet

You want to sub to Gamers Nexus or Jayz2Cents and I suppose Linus but he is more about acting the goat

I wont be getting ASUS.

My current board is the ASUS Crosshair hero VII and since day 1 I've had issues with memory timings running ram at 3200Mhz. Bios updates have improved things but I randomly get issues.

I will be using either MSI or Gigabyte.
Old 11-05-2023, 23:41   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

My latest is the MSI Pro Z790A been solid to build on. I do not like how now you just get LEDs boot lights and not a display unless you spend way to much but it booted first an so far no hiccups. Just saying MSI seem solid I know it is an Intel board
Old 12-05-2023, 00:50   #14
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

I've had a few MSI boards in the past and have been solid.

---------- Post added at 00:50 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

I've been doing some digging about and think I've settled on the board I want.

MSI PRO X670-P WIFI

Here's a link to it on Ebuyer....

https://www.ebuyer.com/1537932-msi-p...ro-x670-p-wifi
Old 12-05-2023, 23:51   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jayz2Cents has sacked Asus as a sponsor