Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | No FTTC Available

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Mobile sim card ideas.

Old 14-02-2023, 16:09   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Mobile sim card ideas.

Looking for a cheap sim for the 4G mobile phone I keep as a back up in our car. I should mention that I hate Three.

We have a good satnav in the car but do sometimes need to use google/maps and send/use texts and make calls. I have been using a Three 321 rolling payg sim which used to be really good value but since they changed their rates in 2021 I have been slowly using up the balence. Due to covid restrictions and health issues this has taken ages but I am now ready to change to a different provider. I really, really want to ditch anything to do with Three.

I have been considering 1p Mobile and their 1 year Talker 1 year deal. ... £36 for unlimited calls & texts to UK landlines and mobiles and 250MB of data per month (EE), for a whole year.

I know that the 250MB a month may seem very low but I have been keeping a check on our useage over the last few months of freedom and we always seem to be below that amount and any other suppliers seem to be, overall, a lot dearer.

For some reason my timerous beastie mode seems to have kicked in and I can't stop dithering so I am wondering if anyone on here has any experience of 1p Mobile or can point me in the direction of another provider.

Oh and did I mention that I HATE Three?

https://www.1pmobile.com/1year-calls-texts-data-SIM.taf
Old 14-02-2023, 16:40   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Mobile sim card ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Looking for a cheap sim for the 4G mobile phone I keep as a back up in our car. I should mention that I hate Three.

We have a good satnav in the car but do sometimes need to use google/maps and send/use texts and make calls. I have been using a Three 321 rolling payg sim which used to be really good value but since they changed their rates in 2021 I have been slowly using up the balence. Due to covid restrictions and health issues this has taken ages but I am now ready to change to a different provider. I really, really want to ditch anything to do with Three.

I have been considering 1p Mobile and their 1 year Talker 1 year deal. ... £36 for unlimited calls & texts to UK landlines and mobiles and 250MB of data per month (EE), for a whole year.

I know that the 250MB a month may seem very low but I have been keeping a check on our useage over the last few months of freedom and we always seem to be below that amount and any other suppliers seem to be, overall, a lot dearer.

For some reason my timerous beastie mode seems to have kicked in and I can't stop dithering so I am wondering if anyone on here has any experience of 1p Mobile or can point me in the direction of another provider.

Oh and did I mention that I HATE Three?

https://www.1pmobile.com/1year-calls-texts-data-SIM.taf
I use 1p Mobile and they're great on both price and service.

If you do decide to go with them I can get one of my carers to refer you if you'd like and we both get a free credit. It used to be a tenner each, but i'll check for sure if you PM me to say you're interested

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-02-2023 at 16:45. Reason: Spelling Fac HTH
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 12:10   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Seems like a steal tbh

Just one thing. Make sure whatever device you use allows you to turn data off and turn off auto updates or set to update only on wifi or you could find your data vanishes
Old 15-02-2023, 12:47   #4
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I use 1p Mobile and they're great on both price and service.

If you do decide to go with them I can get one of my carers to refer you if you'd like and we both get a free credit. It used to be a tenner each, but i'll check for sure if you PM me to say you're interested
Thank you Richard, A friend on the forum has already offered me a link to the mutual credit offer. Oh and it's now £5 each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Seems like a steal tbh

Just one thing. Make sure whatever device you use allows you to turn data off and turn off auto updates or set to update only on wifi or you could find your data vanishes
Cheers for the reply Jay. I'm now thinking of using this sim in my main phone which allows me to turn data off and I already have updates set to wifi only. The wifi calling offered by 1p mobile will also be helpful for when I am at hospital.

To be honest I think that it's the fact that it appears to be too good to be true that has given me the collywobbles.
Old 15-02-2023, 13:29   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Thank you Richard, A friend on the forum has already offered me a link to the mutual credit offer. Oh and it's now £5 each.

Cheers for the reply Jay. I'm now thinking of using this sim in my main phone which allows me to turn data off and I already have updates set to wifi only. The wifi calling offered by 1p mobile will also be helpful for when I am at hospital.

To be honest I think that it's the fact that it appears to be too good to be true that has given me the collywobbles.
Is your phone dual sim or you switching the number?
Old 15-02-2023, 13:41   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You will also want to make sure that any plan you go for doesnt automatically remove un-used allowances each month or require minimum use per month to keep the account active.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 14:44   #7
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Is your phone dual sim or you switching the number?
Yes my main phone is dual sim with a Three PAYG sim at the moment and I sometimes add John's GiffGaff sim as he hates having the phone with him. I am married to an entrenched Luddite and after 50+ years so I know when I need to give in.
I will probable swap the 3 sim over to the " car" phone and what balence that's left on it will probably last for enogh time to see how I get on with the 1p mobile setup. Any idea if I can move my phone number a month or so after I start using a different service and whilst both accounts would be active?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
You will also want to make sure that any plan you go for doesnt automatically remove un-used allowances each month or require minimum use per month to keep the account active.
As far as I can see I would have to pay £10 every 120 days and any money unused is carried over to be used if I exceed the allowances. From what I have read if the balence goes over £10 then I could choose to use that to fund the next 120 days. (1p's minimum requirement was abandoned in 2021)
Old 15-02-2023, 16:38   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

you can move your number at any time
Old 15-02-2023, 18:03   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yes my main phone is dual sim with a Three PAYG sim at the moment and I sometimes add John's GiffGaff sim as he hates having the phone with him. I am married to an entrenched Luddite and after 50+ years so I know when I need to give in.
I will probable swap the 3 sim over to the " car" phone and what balence that's left on it will probably last for enogh time to see how I get on with the 1p mobile setup. Any idea if I can move my phone number a month or so after I start using a different service and whilst both accounts would be active?

As far as I can see I would have to pay £10 every 120 days and any money unused is carried over to be used if I exceed the allowances. From what I have read if the balence goes over £10 then I could choose to use that to fund the next 120 days. (1p's minimum requirement was abandoned in 2021)
I mainly use Whattsapp over my WiFi since becoming housebound, so most of my credit is just building up.

I shall use it if I go outsida and for when I go into hospital for voice calls and data.

If you ever leave, all credit is lost. In this scenario I would use it all up by ringing one of those premium rate charity numbers used to generate donations.

I've set up my credit card to pay the £10 everyc4 months as, if this isn't paid on time after texts/emails have been sent, they cut you off, all credit is lost and, presumably, you then lose your number so cannot port it to anywhere else.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote