Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Important: Your phone service is changing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Digital Phones

Old 27-09-2023, 00:59   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Digital Phones

Hi all,

So we're moving to digital phones in the autumn and away from analogue phones. Can i ask how this actually works?

We have one phone in the hall and another phone in my elderly mothers room. In my bedroom i have the hub.

I've been told we're going to get "adapters" but how will they work exactly? I've been told i can have a hub plugged into the hub and that'll work but i hate phones so it seems the hub is in the worse room for this digital switch over!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2023, 08:31   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Digital Phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Hi all,

So we're moving to digital phones in the autumn and away from analogue phones. Can i ask how this actually works?

We have one phone in the hall and another phone in my elderly mothers room. In my bedroom i have the hub.

I've been told we're going to get "adapters" but how will they work exactly? I've been told i can have a hub plugged into the hub and that'll work but i hate phones so it seems the hub is in the worse room for this digital switch over!
When is an 'upgrade' not an upgrade, when VM are involved.. ( ditto the 360 tv box as aswell.....).

Afaik your phone will need to he plugged into the hub. Guess you could have one phone plugged and wireless handsets elsewhere. But why change anything? Insist VM come and do any extra wiring, they are the ones forcing this on you and you're the paying customer. If you need new handsets/wiring - they should pay.

Also this new set up won't work in a power cut, unlike analogue, progress eh?
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 09:10   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dig...ice-switchover

Quote:
Connecting the adaptor to your phone

Connecting the adaptor to your phone
In order to continue using your home phone service, when it’s time to move over to our new digital voice service you will need to change the way it’s plugged in.

If you don’t take action, you will no longer be able to make or receive calls so it’s really important you look out for letters from us.

To switch over to our fibre network, you’ll need an adaptor to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub.

Here’s how to do it:

On the day of your switchover, unplug the cable of your main phone, or base station if it’s a cordless phone, from the wall socket. If you have any other devices connected to this socket, or you use internal phone sockets around your home, please give us a call.

Grab the adaptor we sent and plug it into the top grey port (port 1) on the back of the WiFi Hub

Plug the end of the telephone cable you unplugged from the wall socket into the adaptor

Wait a couple of minutes for a dial tone, then make a test call

Ta da – your new services should be set up and ready to use

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
When is an 'upgrade' not an upgrade, when VM are involved.. ( ditto the 360 tv box as aswell.....).

Afaik your phone will need to he plugged into the hub. Guess you could have one phone plugged and wireless handsets elsewhere. But why change anything? Insist VM come and do any extra wiring, they are the ones forcing this on you and you're the paying customer. If you need new handsets/wiring - they should pay.

Or, you could have tried to answer his question…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 09:27   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dig...ice-switchover

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Or, you could have tried to answer his question…
Those instructions don't really help the OP if he doesn't want to change the location of his hub /phones. Where as I gave him a couple of practical solutions
Old 27-09-2023, 11:29   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

If you have sockets like you do (and us) then let VM know and they will send someone round to "wire" in the sockets to the hub.
This was on the communication or will be when they send the adaptor. There are other situation you will need an engineer also. I found it quite clear really.
Old 27-09-2023, 14:49   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

Insist VM come and do any extra wiring, they are the ones forcing this on you and you're the paying customer. If you need new handsets/wiring - they should pay.

The usual trolling from you, this is not a VM specific decision.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-trans...ital-landlines

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 01:11   #7
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Our Hub is in a bedroom , so we had to get a phone put in there, which we never had before, the main bedroom and living room already had phones, so I had to buy a set of three phones, If there is a power cut I believe they will not work, but you can get an emergency phone that works with a plug for disabled or the elderly, who do not have mobiles, I think I am correct,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 12:21   #8
Dingbat
cf.member

Dingbat has disabled reputation

Where is your main ‘master’ socket for the phone line, from which the extensions have been wired? Is it near the router?
Dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 14:12   #9
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat View Post
Where is your main ‘master’ socket for the phone line, from which the extensions have been wired? Is it near the router?
The Main socket is in the bedroom that did not have a phone before the change ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 14:05   #10
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

My 'main' socket wasn't moved at all when VM came to sort it out, they plugged the battery back-up phone into the hub, and left my master socket where my DECT base station is plugged into, where it has always been

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 21:46   #11
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Meant to switch tomorrow , guess it won't hurt to wait a week or so, can't complain about aii the warnings.
Old 19-10-2023, 17:08   #12
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Mines coming tomorrow. So I assume the phone in my elderly mothers bedroom will have to move into my room as I have the hub and the engineer will need to do something to get a working phone downstairs ?
Old 20-10-2023, 10:56   #13
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

As in my post above, the engineer wired our existing sockets into the SH5 and the existing sockets carried on working. The only change we subsequently made was to plug our call blocker into the hub and then the phone line into that so now the blocker works for all phones in the house.
SH5 -> blocker -> house wiring
We didn't need to move any phone or get an extra one.
Old 20-10-2023, 13:35   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
As in my post above, the engineer wired our existing sockets into the SH5 and the existing sockets carried on working. The only change we subsequently made was to plug our call blocker into the hub and then the phone line into that so now the blocker works for all phones in the house.
SH5 -> blocker -> house wiring
We didn't need to move any phone or get an extra one.
See how well it works when your interweb is next down (and hope it's not when you really need your phone line).
Old 21-10-2023, 00:44   #15
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

my mum is in her late 70s and what virgin media offered was very poor. my mum spends her time in bed and downstairs. the hub is in my back bedroom. even putting it in my mums room wouldn't have helped as she'd be lost if she went downstairs

my mum is potentially vulnerable to strokes so i want a phone in her bedroom and the hall or preferably the sitting room where she sits.

i'm back in work Monday and i'm terrified the landlines can go down whenever now the "switch has occurred". virgin media didn't address any of my concerns though the engineer was kind and admitted the issues.

can someone please help me?

if i get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT3110-Nuis...35&sr=8-6&th=1

will it work if i plug it into the new extension from my hub? i just desperately want to make sure my mum has a phone in her bedroom and one in the sitting room she can call if she needs me or an ambulance.

any advice appreciated

this is what i got today. thats it. for any elderly people alone this is a terrible worrying moment: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE

Last edited by vincerooney; 21-10-2023 at 00:46. Reason: .