Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Migration to O2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Migration to O2

Old 30-03-2023, 18:48   #16
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough
Re: Migration to O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyronnie View Post
as virgin are still selling virgin mobile sim plans...i was wondering after looking through the t&c's it maybe be worth taking out a virgin mobile sim only plan...the data will be doubled when you're switched over to o2 and you wont pay any more. £10 for 30gb data on a 30 day rolling contract doubled to 60gb once taken over to o2 sounds like a good deal to me.
Sounds like a plan might for this myself
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2023, 18:22   #17
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

This last week, we have been on an Easter break in Virgin 4G not spot, West Cornwall. The service was atrocious, with most locations having no consistently usable signal for anything except texting.

Needless to say there was no hope of using Sainsbury's Android, barcode reading shopping app whilst in store, given that it requires a good 4G connection or access to store wifi.

Does this experience in Cornwall indicate that I haven't been switched over to O2 yet, or is O2 equally as bad in our remote rural areas?

The experience brings to mind the excellent availability of 4G in India. In 2019, wherever we went, there was a strong 4G signal. Even in a remote Rajasthan tiger reserve, miles from any settlement, I was able to quickly upload a photo to Whatsapp using an Indian sim card. Why can't we manage better coverage in the UK? My sister, in rural North Norfolk, has similar difficulties as we had in Cornwall, but with Vodafone. None of our Virgin sims mobile phones can get a reliable signal when we visit my sister.

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 10:17   #18
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

All Virgin Mobile SIMs use the O2 network already. The move to O2 billing won't change your existing coverage.
Old 17-04-2023, 13:51   #19
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
All Virgin Mobile SIMs use the O2 network already. The move to O2 billing won't change your existing coverage.
Great! So, West Cornwall will remain a 4G not spot for O2 and VM users.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2023, 19:50   #20
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Great! So, West Cornwall will remain a 4G not spot for O2 and VM users.
So nothing new then . Went to Boscastle many moons ago , think it might have been 2g then. Had to drive out of the village to get any sort of signal .
Old 11-05-2023, 01:17   #21
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

My contract is up in august and i have no idea whether i need to go to o2 or virgin mobile for my upgrade...neither do o2 or virgin mobile.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:58   #22
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
My contract is up in august and i have no idea whether i need to go to o2 or virgin mobile for my upgrade...neither do o2 or virgin mobile.
Until you got your notification of being moved over, it's up to you. If there are still Virgin Mobile deals available that suit your needs you can still do that and you'll still be moved over to O2 after that.

However if you get your O2 move notification before your contract ends, you'll need to wait till you're moved over to O2 to then do a new deal.

There is a 'lock' put on a Virgin Mobile account that stops the ability to change the airtime plan before it's moved over to O2. That happens when the first notification of the move goes out. A an example I've just got my email about the change on 4th May and I'm moving to O2 on 14th June.
Old 13-05-2023, 12:59   #23
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

I had my email this week, currently £6.97 for 6Gb Data u/l mins and texts, the New O2 plan, 50Gb data, u/l mins and texts plus free Broadband speed increase from June 23rd and still £6.97.
Seems good to me.
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2023, 18:26   #24
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
I had my email this week, currently £6.97 for 6Gb Data u/l mins and texts, the New O2 plan, 50Gb data, u/l mins and texts plus free Broadband speed increase from June 23rd and still £6.97.
Seems good to me.
Really looks good , perhaps to be true.if it is great deal
Old 13-05-2023, 20:41   #25
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus0898uk View Post
Seems good to me.
I'm guessing the migration was to 25gb, then Volt doubles that to 50gb?
I took out the 6gb for £6 last month and I'm hoping I end up with 24gb, which will still be more than enough for me.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2023, 00:45   #26
gus0898uk
cf.addict

gus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enoughgus0898uk will become famous soon enough

Going back around 4 or 5 years, Martin Lewis gave a tip on his web site about a VM sim only promotion for £6pm, I think I was paying £10 at the time.
So after speaking with India and The Philippines etc I manged to swop my 30 day rolling contract to the £6 one, this has crept up over the years with the price increases.
In fairness the 6Gb Data has always been enough for me.
gus0898uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 16:48   #27
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Hi all. So with VM I had an account which managed all four numbers in my home. We each have a pay monthly sim. O2 have now switched me over to them but my other sims are still on VM. Are they transferring each number at different times? Will I be able to manage all my numbers when they have migrated over through my one account like with VM?
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2023, 17:36   #28
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Hi all. So with VM I had an account which managed all four numbers in my home. We each have a pay monthly sim. O2 have now switched me over to them but my other sims are still on VM. Are they transferring each number at different times? Will I be able to manage all my numbers when they have migrated over through my one account like with VM?
I had three sims on VM which all switched this week. I can't see how I can manage them all on O2. Each account has to have their own O2 account from what I can see.
Old 27-05-2023, 14:44   #29
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

I’ve read O2 have disabled merging accounts until the swap over is complete. Looks like more passwords etc.
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2023, 10:00   #30
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It’s a bizarre strategy for former Ultimate Oomph customers.

Discounting the Virgin bill and charging £25 for an O2 unlimited sim. Downgrade the SIM and knock the best part of £20 off your bill.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote