Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Supported NIC's

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Supported NIC's

Old 30-07-2007, 14:22   #31
nms247
Inactive

Services: BB L
nms247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Supported NIC's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
I have heard of issues with these nics, the latest drivers (on windows) seems to fix the issue
Since yesterday, I've stopped using the onboard NIC and I'm having exactly the same issue. Last night I phoned VM support again and they said it was a fault their end, that would be fixed soon. As I work in IT I can understand how problems arise that may take awhile to fix, but the connection issues with the CM have been happening from day one. I can also now say that it can't be a problem my end as I've now tried 4 different NICs which all exhibit the same problem.

Richy99. I have 3 computers using these nic's and have never had a problem, there again I'm not using windows but Linux with open source drivers which until getting Virgin I've had no problems with. The cards I've tried so far are.

1. Marvell Yukon (Gets DHCP but can't keep a connection)
2. 3com 905B (Doesnt get DHCP, whatever cable I use)
3. Realtek 8139c and 8139D (Same as the 3com)
4. Intel 10/100/1000 (we use these at work as their compatible with mostly everything)

Cheers for the advice about windows though.
nms247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2007, 14:33   #32
zing_deleted

I told you your downstream power level was to low
Old 30-07-2007, 20:17   #33
nms247
Inactive

Indeed you did, however they still havent done anything to remedy it
Old 30-07-2007, 21:47   #34
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

What level of service are you on? 20Mb, 4Mb or 2Mb? I've heard problems with webstars and 20Mb, so that may be an issue.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2007, 21:56   #35
nms247
Inactive

2M
Old 01-08-2007, 04:56   #36
nms247
Inactive

So far I've been with VM for 12 days and out of that I've had 2 days when it's worked well. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I really do hope it gets better as I dropped BT for this.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:44   #37
nms247
Inactive

**UPDATE**

As of 10/08/07 all is fine. Had a tech out today who did some testing and it turned out to be of all things a bad cable supplied by VM.

The Tech said that the cable they send out with self installs is the cheapest cable they can get. On replacing it with a piece on non self install cable the modem sprang to life.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:59   #38
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms247 View Post
**UPDATE**

As of 10/08/07 all is fine. Had a tech out today who did some testing and it turned out to be of all things a bad cable supplied by VM.

The Tech said that the cable they send out with self installs is the cheapest cable they can get. On replacing it with a piece on non self install cable the modem sprang to life.
That's good news - and yes, VM customer service is pretty atrocious! The upside as far as I can see is that the cable BB service is generally very reliable and now you've got yours sorted yours should be too...
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote