Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Rate the last movie you saw

Old 02-09-2021, 23:33   #5491
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Dont forget Shang Chi is out tomorrow.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2021, 16:29   #5492
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: 9/10

I know a lot of people had misgivings about this film and the trailer didn't exactly make you jump for joy. You'll be pleased to know that it far exceeds expectations and is really really good. I think it is very much a case of they didn't want to give too much away. It ticks every box and exudes the quality and richness which we have come to expect from a Marvel film. In addition to an action packed visual effects spectacle they have done a cracking job with establishing a new character and building his history and back story to the point that you feel like you know him very well by the end of the film. There are some well timed funny moments but the thing which makes the film so special is its blend with the new and the old. It is very much a Chinese film full of culture, mythology, martial arts and some absolutely beautiful choreography with a great soundtrack
Marvel made a big deal about Black Widow, the new characters and the family dynamic and tbh I felt like it was a lot of hot air because it didn't do anything for me. I like the relationship with the sister but the mum, dad and everyone else were just people in the picture. In contrast, this film is full of fully fleshed out deep characters who feel like they mean something and you are completely engrossed in the story and every scene. I can't wait to see more of Shang Chi and especially how he integrates into the MCU and interacts with the other Avengers.

There are two post credit scenes, one in the middle and one right at the end and it goes without saying that both are worth watching.

If you enjoy your Marvel films you'll be doing yourself a grave disservice if you don't go and watch this at the cinema. It is one of those films that just won't be the same either visually or auditory on a tv.
Old 03-09-2021, 16:58   #5493
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Likely to be seeing it on Sunday afternoon. Without spoiling the plot, though, please tell me: what did this film do to your realism factor?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 19:08   #5494
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
what did this film do to your realism factor?
I am glad you asked because I did want to mentioned it and resisted the temptation. The reason I enjoyed the film so much is because so much care and attention to detail went into every aspect of it that at no point during the film did anything stand out and ruin it for me to the extent that I went "hang on, that doesn't make sense/wouldn't happen" etc. I can't stand Awkwafina and she did my head in from the beginning and I was going to call her the Jar Jar Binks of the MCU but she redeemed herself at the end. In all honestly (and seperate from the film ) the second post credit scene did hit my realism factor but I am sure they'll justify it in the next movie and do some flashbacks to explain it all so I am okay with it atm.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:00   #5495
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Shang-Chi 8/10

As mentioned above, stunning film mixing martial arts and Chinese mythology into the MCU.

Story was great and the back story to the characters was so well done. Ties in brilliantly to what will be coming next.

Also a surprising return from a preciously seen character that had some good laughs.

Mid credit and post credit scenes are well worth sticking around for.
Old 05-09-2021, 20:38   #5496
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Shang Chi …. Mind blown. Nods, cameos and perfectly timed comic relief from an entirely appropriate but totally unexpected source. Solid story, well performed and as always with the MCU you are never in any doubt that the broader narrative is also moving forwards and the present instalment has been crafted to respect it, fit into it but also to add to it in new ways. Kevin Fiege and the team make it look easy, and it seems the only reason DC continues making films is to remind us that it isn’t.

I’m really not sure what more I could have wanted from this film, so based on a first cinema viewing I’m giving it 10/10. I might only take a mark off if on repeated viewings I find it falling down somewhere technical and not immediately obvious. But that’s not very likely.
Old 05-09-2021, 20:54   #5497
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I might only take a mark off if on repeated viewings I find it falling down somewhere technical and not immediately obvious.
did you spot the bamboo scaffolding That was the only thing which tweaked my realism factor but I didn't say anything in case they do actually use bamboo for scaffolding in China in which case it would very much be realistic and in keeping with the setting.
Old 05-09-2021, 21:00   #5498
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
did you spot the bamboo scaffolding That was the only thing which tweaked my realism factor but I didn't say anything in case they do actually use bamboo for scaffolding in China in which case it would very much be realistic and in keeping with the setting.
I did, and you should allow it to further engorge your realism factor - bamboo scaffolding is still widely used in that part of the world, particularly Hong Kong, which is famous for it, but also across the bay in Macau where that sequence is set.
Old 05-09-2021, 22:16   #5499
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Bamboo scaffolding was still being used in India late 90s and early 2010s - I saw it being used in Mumbai and Bhopal.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:09   #5500
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, 8/10.

Good action, good story, good comedy.
Great to be back at the cinema for another excellent Marvel film.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:17   #5501
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Kate 6 / 10 bloodiest most violent film I have seen in a good while
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:42   #5502
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I watched Murder on the Orient Express with Kenneth Branagh as Hercules Poirot and I didn't think things could get worse second time around but I was wrong.

This film is awful, it shows Poirot as some sort of Hench man where he never was at all.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 16:58   #5503
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Bond - No Time To Die

8/10

Won't post spoilers but a decent Bond film. The 'new 007' Lashana Lynch's Nomi is really good and it's a shame that it's likely Bond is going for a reboot when they recast him because she would be an excellent recurring character.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 17:01   #5504
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Bond - No Time To Die

8/10

Won't post spoilers but a decent Bond film. The 'new 007' Lashana Lynch's Nomi is really good and it's a shame that it's likely Bond is going for a reboot when they recast him because she would be an excellent recurring character.
Is it common knowledge she is 007? I had thought she was gonna be but not read it anywhere so you may have posted a spoiler hahaha

---------- Post added at 16:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

A quick google says it was haha
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 17:09   #5505
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yeah it was already out there.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote