Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upgrade planned?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upgrade planned?

Old 30-08-2021, 16:03   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Upgrade planned?

Hopefully this new competition will drive up the quality of VM customer service as well as product quality. Their treatment of customers over the past few years has been absolutely shocking and would even put NTL to shame.

If it doesn't, the company deserves to fail and get taken over by a company that is more customer focused.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2021, 17:16   #17
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Our broadband has always been super reliable and plenty fast enough. I accept not everyone gets this quality of service, I have friends on VM who aren't so fortunate, and one in particular who has fairly regular issues (though given their job they have fairly exceptional needs where something that the average person would shrug off, they can't as it affects their work).

Speeds have got such I'd rather have a price cut than another speed upgrade.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 17:37   #18
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Our broadband has always been super reliable and plenty fast enough. I accept not everyone gets this quality of service, I have friends on VM who aren't so fortunate, and one in particular who has fairly regular issues (though given their job they have fairly exceptional needs where something that the average person would shrug off, they can't as it affects their work).

Me too, and I'm only on 100M
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 18:07   #19
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Me too, and I'm only on 100M
Likewise. Our 100M is rock solid, always full speed and plenty adequate for our needs.
Old 30-08-2021, 20:49   #20
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Likewise. Our 100M is rock solid, always full speed and plenty adequate for our needs.
My 1GB is rock solid, the only thing that lets it down is the hub 4 only has a 1GB port so u don't achieve full speed i get between 880 - 935mb/s.

I have a Realtek chipset ethernet card which has a 2.5GB port and my TP Link AX6000 also has a 2.5GB port.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 09:16   #21
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Surely nothing us free with VM, you pay them monthly, and they still own all the equipment. It's a great business model !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 12:55   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

Me too, 200MB is more than enough for my needs. At negotiation time I say i'm happy to take a speed cut and/or drop the landline, but they always say doing this will result in a price increase!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:03   #23
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
the shubs have and always will be free because VM need to provide accessibility to their network (modem). Hopefully production has caught up post covid disruption and it is now best practise to swap out all shubs with a shub 4. I really do hope that a shub 5 will come out next year with 2.5gbit ports. VM must be working on it now because they have hit a limit for the first time in about 20 years. They can't increase the speed on the services they offer until they provide a shub with greater than 1gbit ports. I imagine they are pulling their hair out thinking about it because the other thing they need to do is educate customers because 99.9% of people are going to continue to have gigabit nics in their pcs/laptops etc for many years to come and you can just imagine the calls to tech support with customers saying they can only get 800mbits on their 2gbit connection which is less than half the speed. I think it is going to have to be a combination of an easy to digest email upon tier signup as well as troubleshooting guides on the website and probably lengthy and annoying voice messages you have to listen to when you ring up tech support before they put you through to someone.
I am sure you are right about the need for educating folk on the need for NICS that can handle > 1Gb. However, given that everyone should know by now that WiFi will nearly always delivers less than than the headline connection speed. folk still call to complain about that.

I'm in the process of upgrading PC network cards and switches around the house up to 10Gb in anticipation of bandwidth upgrades beyond 1Gb. My AX11000 has a 2.5Gb port so that will do in the first instance. Luckily, I am assured that although my ethernet cable is only CAT5e it can manage much higher speeds than 1Gb if cards and switches are upgraded.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:13   #24
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I imagine they are pulling their hair out thinking about it because the other thing they need to do is educate customers because 99.9% of people are going to continue to have gigabit nics in their pcs/laptops etc for many years to come and you can just imagine the calls to tech support with customers saying they can only get 800mbits on their 2gbit connection which is less than half the speed.
So, many high end AMD x570 boards and Intel z490/z590 boards have >1Gbit LAN now, either 2.5G or in some cases 5G/10G.

This is a niche right now, but in a couple of years it will be a higher percentage, and I'd submit that the category of people likely to spring for a 2.2Gbit connection are far more likely to have a recent high end PC.

Mine has 2.5G, but I'm really not a fan of RJ45 over 1GBit, the 10GB core section of my home network all uses SMF SFP+ modules, the 1G segment uses Cat6 mostly for PoE (Cameras, APs). My router has 10G SFP+ WAN and LAN.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:52   #25
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
So, many high end AMD x570 boards and Intel z490/z590 boards have >1Gbit LAN now, either 2.5G or in some cases 5G/10G.

This is a niche right now, but in a couple of years it will be a higher percentage, and I'd submit that the category of people likely to spring for a 2.2Gbit connection are far more likely to have a recent high end PC.

Mine has 2.5G, but I'm really not a fan of RJ45 over 1GBit, the 10GB core section of my home network all uses SMF SFP+ modules, the 1G segment uses Cat6 mostly for PoE (Cameras, APs). My router has 10G SFP+ WAN and LAN.
I'd have said all high end boards would have atleast 1Gbit ethernet now, ive not seen a board with 100mb ethernet in a very long time.

I have put a Realtek 2.5GB card in my PC for GB internet, the card was only £19 on sale from Amazon and it works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syba-Gigabi...%2C176&sr=8-14

Thats the card im using.

Last edited by alanbjames; 01-09-2021 at 12:57. Reason: Added link.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 13:05   #26
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I'd have said all high end boards would have atleast 1Gbit ethernet now, ive not seen a board with 100mb ethernet in a very long time.

I have put a Realtek 2.5GB card in my PC for GB internet, the card was only £19 on sale from Amazon and it works a treat.

Thats the card im using.
I said >1GB, greater than, i.e. 2.5G or 5G or 10G

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products...t=price&page=1

This list all have multigig ethernet, and are all "desktop" type boards, no HEDT or server platforms.
Old 01-09-2021, 13:48   #27
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
pythagoras has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post

Thats the card im using.
I was recently trying to trouble shoot the internet connection on my sons smart tv. Its 2021 lg oled TV CX 55" (so very expensive and latest model) I couldn't get over 90Mb over ethernet but full 540 over wifi. Turns out these TVs only have 100Mb ethernet ports.......in 2021!!!!!
pythagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:58   #28
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
I was recently trying to trouble shoot the internet connection on my sons smart tv. Its 2021 lg oled TV CX 55" (so very expensive and latest model) I couldn't get over 90Mb over ethernet but full 540 over wifi. Turns out these TVs only have 100Mb ethernet ports.......in 2021!!!!!
my sony TV is the same 75" 2020 android model only has Fast Ethernet (100) but worst of all its run via a USB 2 bus and barely gets over 35-40meg, where as the wifi can max my 500meg out when close the wifi but the location of my Router makes the wifi a bit touch and go so it stutters to hell when trying to play some 4K content via plex, keep saying i need to invest in a decent mesh system but something always pops up that's more important lol,
really though these days especially on expensive sets they shouldn't be cheeping out on a few pence on the ethernet i also have a samsung 55" from i believe 2014 was one of the first 4K TVs no HDR or anything and even that actually did have Gbit ethernet
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:13   #29
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash45 View Post
my sony TV is the same 75" 2020 android model only has Fast Ethernet (100) but worst of all its run via a USB 2 bus and barely gets over 35-40meg, where as the wifi can max my 500meg out when close the wifi but the location of my Router makes the wifi a bit touch and go so it stutters to hell when trying to play some 4K content via plex, keep saying i need to invest in a decent mesh system but something always pops up that's more important lol,
really though these days especially on expensive sets they shouldn't be cheeping out on a few pence on the ethernet i also have a samsung 55" from i believe 2014 was one of the first 4K TVs no HDR or anything and even that actually did have Gbit ethernet
Yeah I have a Sony TV with Fast Ethernet too, I used Wifi on it for a bit but have now given up and use an nVidia Shield.

I have some 4k encodes on Plex that are over 100mbit!
Old 03-09-2021, 10:16   #30
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Yeah I have a Sony TV with Fast Ethernet too, I used Wifi on it for a bit but have now given up and use an nVidia Shield.

I have some 4k encodes on Plex that are over 100mbit!
This is exactly how i found out my Samsung only has Fe too!
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote