Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Renew with o2 or go with virgin media....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Ridiculous mobile scenario - I'm fuming.

Old 19-07-2021, 14:28   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Ridiculous mobile scenario - I'm fuming.

So. Last week sales called me with an offer.

-Change to a new 24 month plan. 100GB data. Get a new phone (Samsung A32) and I'll end up paying £1 less per month.

Seemed ok so I went for it. The sales operator explained that my new phone arrives on August 13th. I thought that's ok, I'm in no rush.

Friday - I sign the new agreement electronically.

- Saturday, I see a little message pop up saying my new plan has started. Almost immediately after this, my signal drops, I am unable to connect to mobile data, and a little 'R' has appeared over my signal bars.

-I call Virgin media up, explain that my new plan has likely made my sim card drop out and the operator says take the sim card out and give it a wipe. Then says sorry and puts me on hold. For 25 minutes. I hang up, I have 2 kids that need feeding.

-Contacted VMedia on Twitter, and after an hour conversation, they said go to the forums they might have a solution there!

-Called again and they say I need to wipe the sim card with a cloth. Of course it doesn't work, it's a registration problem, I can tell that because of the timing. I go through about 6 different settings, give her the sim serial number and finally get told to switch roaming data on, and switch to Vodafone network. That gets me on roaming but still no virgin signal and no mobile data. I'm told it will now sort itself out ok, and I will be able to get on mobile data and phone people.

-This morning - no joy, still no signal, little triangle warnings noting loss of connectivity, no mobile data at all. No nothing.

I ring VM again and they say take the sim card out and give the serial number, give it a wipe etc. By this point I am just going insane. I can't get on any network. The operator contacts the faults team and FINALLY, after nearly 3 days, comes back with the answer......the sim has been deactivated, at their end because they need my new phone upgrade to take place before I am switched over to 5G and Vodafone service. So I have to wait until I get my new phone.

But my phone doesn't arrive until August 13th. That's nearly a month away. At this point I just said this was unacceptable, and wanted to escalate it. Operator said that will do nothing as there is nothing they can do. Sim cannot be reactivated, 100% need the new phone upgrade to happen before I am on a virgin network. WHY didn't the original sales person realise I'd be without a phone service until 13 August?

They can't re activate my sim. But...... they can send me a phone tomorrow if I pick a new one. I don't want a nokia I want a Samsung. So in the end she said you can cancel the new upgrade and she can send me a new sim card that will arrive in 3 - 5 days which 'should work on Virgin network'. Awesome.

That will be no mobile phone service for nearly a week, through absolutely no fault of my own. I wish I never upgraded and am now stuck with this new contract which I signed for 24 months when in all reality I would have left Virgin due to this appalling scenario. Fuming.
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2021, 14:56   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ridiculous mobile scenario - I'm fuming.

This isn't to dispute anything you've posted based on what you've been told, but I'm not sure what has happened there.

Since Virgin Mobile moved to the new purple SIMs, there should never normally be a reason that a new phone requires a new physical SIM card - unless the device needs a bigger SIM size than the one you're currently using. This rarely is the case in 2021.

Based on what you've said it seems your existing SIM moved from the EE radio network to the Vodafone radio network ahead of your new device arriving and your new airtime plan starting. However that shouldn't have deactivated the SIM in your existing device.

With it saying 'R' it seems that it is working, but in a way that your current device doesn't like. Specfically your current device seem to be treating the SIM as if on a roaming network, which could also explain why data doesn't work as that's usually switched off for roaming by default.

What is your current device? How old is it?

If your upgrade has been cancelled then you will be back on your existing contract term. Any new term based on the new airtime plan and device will not apply.

Last edited by BenMcr; 19-07-2021 at 15:02.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 15:10   #3
smallclone
cf.geek

smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
This isn't to dispute anything you've posted based on what you've been told, but I'm not sure what has happened there.

Since Virgin Mobile moved to the new purple SIMs, there should never normally be a reason that a new phone requires a new physical SIM card - unless the device needs a bigger SIM size than the one you're currently using. This rarely is the case in 2021.

With it saying 'R' it seems that it is working, but in a way that your current device doesn't like. Specfically your current device seem to be treating the SIM as if on a roaming network, which could also explain why data doesn't work as that's usually switched off for roaming by default.

What is your current device? How old is it?

If your upgrade has been cancelled then you will be back on your existing contract term. Any new term based on the new airtime plan and device will not apply.
Thanks for the reply. Existing device is a Samsung A50. It's approximately 20 months old I think

The operator said I have signed the new plan agreement so am bound to it for another 24 months. It's only the device upgrade that has been cancelled. My mobile web plan still says the new tariff.

Quote:
Based on what you've said it seems your existing SIM moved from the EE radio network to the Vodafone radio network ahead of your new device arriving and your new airtime plan starting. However that shouldn't have deactivated the SIM in your existing device.
I have no idea who has deactivated what really, but at the end of the day I'm left with no mobile phone service through no fault of my own.
Old 19-07-2021, 15:29   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

That device shouldn't have had any issue moving across. Again I do not understand what's happened with the SIM there. Virgin Mobile have moved lots of customers over from the EE to the Vodafone network without issue, myself included.

But when you take a Freestyle plan and device contract, the term for the SIM and the airtime plan is 30 days. It's the device loan which has the 24 or 36 month contract. The only time you have a SIM with a contract of that length is when it is sold as a SIM Only plan, which would be a different price.

Last edited by BenMcr; 19-07-2021 at 15:54.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 16:08   #5
smallclone
cf.geek

£12 off my bill for the inconvenience
Old 19-07-2021, 16:51   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I won't bore you with the farce that I had with Virgin Mobile, but after being with them for donkeys years I have now left because they became impossible to do business with. That foreign based call centre is an absolute joke.

£12 seems stingy for all the hassle, I received an out of court settlement for going on £200 and I was never left without a phone service!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 17:50   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

You are still in your cooling off period though so you can cancel everything if you want
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 18:55   #8
smallclone
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
You are still in your cooling off period though so you can cancel everything if you want
That's good advice, I'll look into that. Just praying this new SIM card actually works.
Old 19-07-2021, 19:11   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
That's good advice, I'll look into that. Just praying this new SIM card actually works.
you got 14 days from date of agreement so you will need to make your mind up. Statutory rights
Old 20-07-2021, 11:10   #10
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

if you are in your cooling off period, request a PAC and switch terrible service.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 12:26   #11
smallclone
cf.geek

Update: Phoned to cancel my plan as I am in my cooling off period. Operator didn't seem to know what I meant. Finally realised and he then tried to sell me a cheap renewal at a better rate. I explained I just want to revert to my old tarrif plan that has about 5 months left.

He then said that is not available. I am unable to go back to my old plan. I have to sign a new plan that locks me in for at least 2 years.

At this point I was very nearly losing my rag. I said it's unacceptable. Tried to raise it to a manager but none available. Virgin are apparently phoning me on my landline 'soon'. But I have little faith.

I will never, ever use virgin mobile again.
Old 20-07-2021, 12:50   #12
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Update: Phoned to cancel my plan as I am in my cooling off period. Operator didn't seem to know what I meant. Finally realised and he then tried to sell me a cheap renewal at a better rate. I explained I just want to revert to my old tarrif plan that has about 5 months left.

He then said that is not available. I am unable to go back to my old plan. I have to sign a new plan that locks me in for at least 2 years.

At this point I was very nearly losing my rag. I said it's unacceptable. Tried to raise it to a manager but none available. Virgin are apparently phoning me on my landline 'soon'. But I have little faith.

So nearly moved to virgin .This has killed that idea.
Old 20-07-2021, 13:29   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
So nearly moved to virgin .This has killed that idea.
I moved a few months ago and do not regret it so far.

Mind you to get me to they did give me a free 5GB Unlimited calls and texts sim deal for 18 months hehehe. If they refuse to renew that deal I will just take my number back to giffgaff
Old 20-07-2021, 14:10   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

This is exactly what they're like. When you try to cancel, their ability to speak pigeon English suddenly worsens & they don't understand you. Ask to speak to a manager and it's either "There's none available" or the unoriginal "They're in a meeting".

If this hasn't made you go away they will offer a callback to get you off the line (or the line conveniently gets cut off).

The promised callback never materialises, so you ring them back and have to go through everything again, only to go through the same old scenario where you are sat waiting for a call that, by this time, you know is not going to happen.

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I moved a few months ago and do not regret it so far.

Mind you to get me to they did give me a free 5GB Unlimited calls and texts sim deal for 18 months hehehe. If they refuse to renew that deal I will just take my number back to giffgaff
Nice one Be watchful of your bill though as I was offered something similar with some account credit too. I found that whenever I made a call inclusive of my unlimited free minutes, it was knocking them off my credit (I had intended to use these for calls to non Virgin mobiles that weren't included).

That offshore call centre couldn't or wouldn't see what the problem was!

When I was finally able to dump them, I was able to take my number with me as i'd had it for donkeys years
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 14:17   #15
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Nice one Be watchful of your bill though as I was offered something similar with some account credit too. I found that whenever I made a call inclusive of my unlimited free minutes, it was knocking them off my credit (I had intended to use these for calls to non Virgin mobiles that weren't included).

That offshore call centre couldn't or wouldn't see what the problem was!

When I was finally able to dump them, I was able to take my number with me as i'd had it for donkeys years
got the zero charge cap in place in the settings

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

Quote:

Just leave and go onto giffgaff and take a new number

They should never have ended your previous package till they could start your new one. This is truly awful service