Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2021, 23:28   #5206
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Oh bugger. It looks like that Indian variant isn't more transmissable as they thought.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...re-flattening-
Quote:
There's a little bit of – I would say – a glimmer of hope from the recent data that while this variant does still appear to have a significant growth advantage, the magnitude of that advantage seems to have dropped a little bit with the most recent data so the curves are flattening a little but it will take more time for us to be definitive about it.
My bold.

Pantsdown hasn’t actually said anything of any note here. And even what he did say did not necessarily relate to the spin in the article.
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2021, 23:42   #5207
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
My bold.

Pantsdown hasn’t actually said anything of any note here. And even what he did say did not necessarily relate to the spin in the article.
Actually the prof’s verbosity seemed to me to be a painfully self conscious attempt to avoid being tarred a racist. Nobody wants to stick their head above the parapet and suggest that the Indian variant is doing so well because it has a foothold amongst large extended households that are simultaneously less willing to adhere to the public health advice and more likely to refuse to book their vaccination appointment. It’s less awkward to assume its rapid spread is entirely down to its enhanced transmissibility until data makes that assumption untenable.

Anyway, time will tell.
Old 19-05-2021, 23:44   #5208
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oh bugger. It looks like that Indian variant isn't more transmissable as they thought.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...re-flattening-
Perhaps it is a mutation that adapted to Indian people.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 19-05-2021, 23:52   #5209
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Actually the prof’s verbosity seemed to me to be a painfully self conscious attempt to avoid being tarred a racist. Nobody wants to stick their head above the parapet and suggest that the Indian variant is doing so well because it has a foothold amongst large extended households that are simultaneously less willing to adhere to the public health advice and more likely to refuse to book their vaccination appointment. It’s less awkward to assume its rapid spread is entirely down to its enhanced transmissibility until data makes that assumption untenable.

Anyway, time will tell.
Except of course any variant could do the same among groups who aren’t complying if it was truly, entirely down to a select few groups not adhering to rules that have been in place since Christmas.

Boris didn’t go on telly at 5pm on a Friday last week over a handful of immigrants in big households working in the cash economy.

Time will tell indeed.
Old 19-05-2021, 23:56   #5210
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Perhaps it is a mutation that adapted to Indian people.

No, Chris is right in what he's said and nobody publically want's to say it out of fear of being accused of raciam.
It is being spread in the communities who have not been following guidelines and have not taken up vaccination. The media are however spinning it as deprived areas rather than uneducated ones.
Old 20-05-2021, 00:08   #5211
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No, Chris is right in what he's said and nobody publically want's to say it out of fear of being accused of raciam.
It is being spread in the communities who have not been following guidelines and have not taken up vaccination. The media are however spinning it as deprived areas rather than uneducated ones.
Deprivation and education aren’t mutually exclusive.

The dog whistle stops people asking about why India didn’t go on the red list with Pakistan doesn’t it though.
Old 20-05-2021, 00:16   #5212
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As a layman, I still believe that virus mutations sort of like the line of least resistance. The genetic make up of Indians (etc) is different from Caucasians. Do please recall that right at the beginning of all this, before vaccines, Indian types were found to be more susceptible to CV than Caucasians.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 20-05-2021, 00:53   #5213
jfman
Architect of Ideas

At least they’re volunteering to join the “herd”. After all nobody really gets ill.
Old 20-05-2021, 09:13   #5214
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Once the vaccines have been tweaked a Punjab in the arm will sort it out
Old 20-05-2021, 10:20   #5215
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
It is for those already employed as making vaccination mandatory would be a change of contract. That would open the door for discrimination claims if sacked for not being vaccinated. It would be a minefield unless the Gov made vaccinations compulsory but I doubt that would happen or if necessary cinsidering the success of the roll out so far, notwithstanding the resistance of certain communities so far.
It does depend on how you pitch it. If companies did a risk assessment under Health and Safety legislation and found that COVID vaccination was a good way to protect its' employees from COVID, then I would doubt a new contract would be needed. An employers obligation to provide a safe environment is implied.

That said, it's all moot - I can't see this happening. I work for a healthcare company and the words are that vaccination is 'strongly recommended' for all employees but that's it

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
As a layman, I still believe that virus mutations sort of like the line of least resistance. The genetic make up of Indians (etc) is different from Caucasians. Do please recall that right at the beginning of all this, before vaccines, Indian types were found to be more susceptible to CV than Caucasians.
I think you have to be careful to separate genetics from socio-economic factors. If you are unable to work from home, live in a house of multiple occupancy and/or generations, or work in healthcare, your risk of infection is correspondingly higher. All of these tend to skew towards minorities being more severely affected.

The ONS did some good numbers on this - https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...d19/2020-12-14
Old 20-05-2021, 16:23   #5216
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Once the vaccines have been tweaked a Punjab in the arm will sort it out
Let's hope it doesn't put anyone in a korma.

Old 20-05-2021, 18:22   #5217
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
They won't stay flat by themselves.

If you want to make the claim the Government won't introduce some kind of Covid certification for domestic events then knock yourself out. We can add it to the list once you are proven wrong.
I’m posing the question. The government says it’s being guided by the figures. I am pointing out that hospital admissions are flat. Why? The vaccines.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

Quote:
He is.
I thought you were referring to Boris! I see you were actually referring to the half full glass scientist! I guess that figures.
Old 20-05-2021, 18:29   #5218
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I’m posing the question. The government says it’s being guided by the figures. I am pointing out that hospital admissions are flat. Why? The vaccines.
Or the fact people don't get hospitalised immediately upon testing positive

Quote:
I thought you were referring to Boris! I see you were actually referring to the half full glass scientist! I guess that figures.
It helps to pay attention and play the ball, not the man.
Old 20-05-2021, 18:35   #5219
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

physician, heal thyself
Old 20-05-2021, 20:33   #5220
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Nor will they if they are vaccinated. Something you don’t appear to have grasped. Glad to have been of help.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Quote:
Do you know how ridiculous that sounds, coming from you? It is your modus operandi to attack the person and ignore the point being made. Particularly when you don’t have a credible argument.