Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Old 30-08-2021, 19:55   #46
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Yes, it works in modem mode. I think *only* in modem mode, but it's not 802.3ad, it's just round robin, so won't work with Roughbeast's Asus router.

You need a proper router like a mikrotik not a consumer grade one for RR support.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-08-2021, 20:40   #47
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
I remember looking at the time and there were 2.5Gbps Arris ones available from Germany. However, given the lead time on rebranding them and ordering process etc plus additional cost then LG probably wouldn't have bothered.

I am still half tempted to try and import one, but confirming that cloning the MAC would work as well as T&Cs is still prohibitive.

Same they don't do a business version that consumer could upgrade to which as you say could include SFP+ and solve all the problems easily for those that would pay a little bit more on a one off cost.
Just cloning the MAC wouldn’t work, as the CMTS knows to only accept the correct type of modem, it’s not done at MAC level. It also quite often sends a software/firmware update down to the modem. I imagine there would be a lot of cost involved in supporting every cable modem on the market, for not much uptake. 99.9% of consumers want minimal fuss on their part.
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 21:20   #48
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Just cloning the MAC wouldn’t work, as the CMTS knows to only accept the correct type of modem, it’s not done at MAC level. It also quite often sends a software/firmware update down to the modem. I imagine there would be a lot of cost involved in supporting every cable modem on the market, for not much uptake. 99.9% of consumers want minimal fuss on their part.
I mean, US cable companies manage it. I assume they leave it up to customers to do updates. They do authorise modems by MAC.

Your logic is the same as ADSL/VDSL ISPs used to use to say people couldn't be trusted to use their own modem or router - think of the support effort!
Old 30-08-2021, 22:46   #49
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to support 802.3ad link aggregation
ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 09:44   #50
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I mean, US cable companies manage it. I assume they leave it up to customers to do updates. They do authorise modems by MAC.
That's only because the FCC legislation has forced them to. And it's not as straightforward over there anyway

https://uk.pcmag.com/networking/1338...-from-your-isp
Quote:
In addition, some ISPs may not even let you buy your own modem. If you have DSL or fiber, you can't use a cable modem; each uses special equipment that you'll have to rent or purchase from your ISP. In addition, if you bundle your home phone service with your internet plan, you'll need a modem that has a phone port. Telephony modems aren't widely available for sale—a quick search yields expensive products with outdated technology—so you're most likely better off renting from your ISP.
And even where they do, they will still have require certain specs for the 3rd party kit.

In the UK there isn't the same legislation or cable modem market.
Old 31-08-2021, 11:44   #51
rtho782
cf.addict

The US has allowed people to use their own modem for as long as I can remember, certainly back before VM even released the SH1.

There was a new law in 2020 that forbid them for charging modem rental fees on a modem you own ( https://www.engadget.com/tvpa-bans-i...213955005.html ) but prior to this people were still able to use their own.

Back in 2012 the replies here were discussing it: https://superuser.com/questions/4444...ernet-provider

It's not something that's only appeared over there since the TVPA act came in.
Old 31-08-2021, 12:00   #52
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I didn't say it was a new thing. But it's forced by US regulation that doesn't exist here and was originally aimed for cable TV:

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...11201&rgn=div8
Quote:
§76.1201 Rights of subscribers to use or attach navigation devices.
No multichannel video programming distributor shall prevent the connection or use of navigation devices to or with its multichannel video programming system, except in those circumstances where electronic or physical harm would be caused by the attachment or operation of such devices or such devices may be used to assist or are intended or designed to assist in the unauthorized receipt of service.
Old 31-08-2021, 23:04   #53
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

The situation in the US is quite different. Cable companies have much larger subscriber bases there, and they frequently add on lots of extra charges and fees, as well as complicated tax rules making the final bill very opaque.

Virgin Media has never charged a monthly fee for a specific piece of equipment, so I don't think there is as much need for regulation here.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 23:08   #54
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Would a phone line be classed as a specific piece of equipment?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 23:27   #55
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Would a phone line be classed as a specific piece of equipment?
Not sure how it would that’s used to provide a service. If they provided a phone as well then that would be equipment.

All the models I have seen so far don’t have a VoIP port anyway so phone line would no longer work
ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 23:27   #56
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
The situation in the US is quite different. Cable companies have much larger subscriber bases there, and they frequently add on lots of extra charges and fees, as well as complicated tax rules making the final bill very opaque.

Virgin Media has never charged a monthly fee for a specific piece of equipment, so I don't think there is as much need for regulation here.
Definitely!

My brother-in-law lives in Connecticut (and has for 10 years), and has just bought a place in Hampshire (he’s retiring next year, and coming home), and he’s paying VM half of what he pays his US Telco/Cable company.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 18:31   #57
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Definitely!

My brother-in-law lives in Connecticut (and has for 10 years), and has just bought a place in Hampshire (he’s retiring next year, and coming home), and he’s paying VM half of what he pays his US Telco/Cable company.
But will get a lot less I suspect
Old 03-09-2021, 17:16   #58
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You would suspect wrongly - he gets faster broadband, and he doesn't subscribe to Films in either country, and he says the channel choice is fine by him (he says a lot of the choice in the USA is just re-runs).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 18:49   #59
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
You would suspect wrongly - he gets faster broadband, and he doesn't subscribe to Films in either country, and he says the channel choice is fine by him (he says a lot of the choice in the USA is just re-runs).
Didn't say it wouldn't work for him . I am on 100 meg was very happy with 50 . And reruns was surprised how many l hadn't seen before ! Let's face it virgin etc also have no end of channels showing reruns . But great that he as am l happy with the choice
Old 03-09-2021, 23:54   #60
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
(he says a lot of the choice in the USA is just re-runs).
Much like the UK then.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote