Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview changes

Old 06-07-2021, 16:01   #136
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I'd imagine it would cost too much to be worthwhile on COM4 and Ideal Extra launched on the Local mux much to many's surprise (as they weren't expecting an extra stream added), so I wouldn't put it past Ideal World putting it on COM7, knowing it won't be there for long and getting a cheap deal as a result. There's still an empty stream after That's TV Gold launches on it, to my recollection.

Maybe COM5 and COM6 might be reconfiguring for extra streams?

So many options.

I hope it isn't COM4, what a waste of an opportunity.
I think both BBC B and COM7 are full.

Base on COM4 (They can hold up to 18 streams) COM4 have room for one TV and one Radio Channel to launch due to 5Select moving to BBCB/PSB3 and 365 Travel being axe last week.

With COM5 and COM6 have got room to launch FOUR Channels.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2021, 16:54   #137
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I think Com 7 is due to close in June 2022ish, so I bet you're right and they have got a cheap deal.

Apparently, they've also been giving a free or hugely discounted months trial to let the Less popular channels try out Freeview to see if it's worth their while signing up for a longer term eg Court TV, That's TV Gold. Can't remember where I read it.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 17:26   #138
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I think both BBC B and COM7 are full.

Base on COM4 (They can hold up to 18 streams) COM4 have room for one TV and one Radio Channel to launch due to 5Select moving to BBCB/PSB3 and 365 Travel being axe last week.

With COM5 and COM6 have got room to launch FOUR Channels.
COM7 runs at over 36Mb/s
Currently 6 SD streams (soon to be 7 again) and 5 HD
BBCB runs at 40Mb/s
Currently 2 SD streams and 6 HD

The general rule of thumb is HD takes 4x space of SD so you could say BBCB is already carrying the equivalent of COM7 if you mentally converted its extra HD stream into 4 SD streams. And that's before you take into consideration the 40 Vs 36 Mb/s difference in bandwidth.

I vaguely recall COM7 had a maximum of 5HD and 8 SD after COM8 closed so I think there's one encoder unused there.

There seems to space for extra services on BBCB even before the multiplex gets reengineered for extra BBC1 and ITV regional HD, it's simply that there are no extra encoders in place before this reengineering takes place, the way I interpret it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think Com 7 is due to close in June 2022ish, so I bet you're right and they have got a cheap deal.

Apparently, they've also been giving a free or hugely discounted months trial to let the Less popular channels try out Freeview to see if it's worth their while signing up for a longer term eg Court TV, That's TV Gold. Can't remember where I read it.
I'd be interested in the source Richard.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 14:48   #139
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

That's TV Gold "launches" tonight at 9pm.

The other content looks like the same type of documentaries CCXTV had. There are film and sports docs so it's not going to be a music video channel.

https://twitter.com/ThatsTVGold/stat...16803934613509
Old 09-07-2021, 18:05   #140
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That's TV Gold "launches" tonight at 9pm.

The other content looks like the same type of documentaries CCXTV had. There are film and sports docs so it's not going to be a music video channel.

https://twitter.com/ThatsTVGold/stat...16803934613509
Also the lineup will be same as That's TV Local but no TJC.
Old 09-07-2021, 18:24   #141
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I was surprised when I heard that.
Old 09-07-2021, 18:34   #142
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Here is the variations:

Everyday:
9am to 1pm - That's Golden Oldies (On That's TV Gold)
9am to 1pm - TJC (On That's Local)

Mondays to Fridays:
6pm to 7pm - That's ??s (On That's TV Gold)

6pm to 6.15pm - That's Local News (On That's TV Local)
6.15pm to 7pm - That's ??s (On That's Local)

I have got my own lineup on Freeview HD TV Set

That's tv Gold (Channel 56)
That's tv Scotland (Channel 57)
NOW ??s (Channel 58)
Old 11-07-2021, 00:41   #143
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Quote:
Even the ads is the same on That's TV Gold and That's TV Local.
Old 11-07-2021, 00:58   #144
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Even the ads is the same on That's TV Gold and That's TV Local.
I'm not surprised by that.
Old 12-07-2021, 16:41   #145
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

8 Channels has been removed from "Channelbox" Freeview channel 271.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...50752429842432
Old 12-07-2021, 19:30   #146
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
8 Channels has been removed from "Channelbox" Freeview channel 271.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...50752429842432
I wouldn't be surprised if those involved are moving to one of Channelbox's Freeview portal rivals (e.g. VisionTV Ch264 and On Demand 365 Ch265) and/or it's related to IP Fallback being implemented.

Now 70s/90s, Clubland, Country Music Entertainment and TV Warehouse are all on the limited availability G-Man multiplex on Freeview and may be intending to utilise the new functionality and rules to expand their availability outside Greater Manchester on Internet-Connected TVs using their current allocated channel numbers.
Old 21-07-2021, 16:56   #147
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Has BBC let cat of the bag???? Is S4C HD set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales?

A516 Digital has reveal that BBC Three is set to launch only in SD in Wales and Scotland,

A516 Digital has found info that says that S4C HD is set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...95639879024640
Old 21-07-2021, 18:11   #148
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Has BBC let cat of the bag???? Is S4C HD set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales?

A516 Digital has reveal that BBC Three is set to launch only in SD in Wales and Scotland,

A516 Digital has found info that says that S4C HD is set to reappear on Freeview HD in Wales.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...95639879024640
Not new, it was talked about months ago (that S4C wanted to use the space they were entitled to and so BBC3 would have to be SD only on Freeview in Scotland and Wales) when they announced BBC3's broadcast return, this is just the closest it's come to being official, or in public, rather than gossip of the "they've said in private" variety.
Old 21-07-2021, 20:01   #149
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

I wonder which would get the most viewers in Wales, BBC3 HD or S4C HD?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2021, 00:56   #150
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy Sources says Sky are going to stop providing their channels to other providers in the future, Comcast want Sky channels exclusive to Sky and Now.