Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Openreach and associated do they have data caps?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Openreach and associated do they have data caps?

Old 13-09-2023, 21:33   #1
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Openreach and associated do they have data caps?

In my area (at long last) Openreach are finalising fibre services. The last time I used anything non Virgin it was ADSL and used to have ridiculous data caps each month.

Do Openreach still have these for Fibre, and do they throttle, or is it all very similar to how VM work ?
Old 13-09-2023, 21:48   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Openreach and associated do they have data caps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
In my area (at long last) Openreach are finalising fibre services. The last time I used anything non Virgin it was ADSL and used to have ridiculous data caps each month.

Do Openreach still have these for Fibre, and do they throttle, or is it all very similar to how VM work ?
I don't think anyone data caps any more, if they did they wouldn't have many customers. Wouldn't work too well with todays streaming services.
daveeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 22:05   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I don't think anyone data caps any more, if they did they wouldn't have many customers. Wouldn't work too well with todays streaming services.
Actually, some still do, even on FTTP, its generally quite high though.
Andrews & Arnold have 1TB/month and 2TB/month limits on their services.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 22:32   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

We have BT service over Openreach FTTP. No cap or throttle here. Which is just as well, as we’re definitely using well north of 1TB per month.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2023, 00:01   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
We have BT service over Openreach FTTP. No cap or throttle here. Which is just as well, as we’re definitely using well north of 1TB per month.
Have you measured it ?
I WFH, have multiple PCs and tablets on 24/7.
The rest of the family (4 adults, 1 child) have phones/tablets/laptops.
Even the grandaughter has an old ipad she uses everyday on youtube.
With all of that, we still dont hit 1TB a month (my router clocks up all usage).

Old 14-09-2023, 07:38   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Have you measured it ?
I WFH, have multiple PCs and tablets on 24/7.
The rest of the family (4 adults, 1 child) have phones/tablets/laptops.
Even the grandaughter has an old ipad she uses everyday on youtube.
With all of that, we still dont hit 1TB a month (my router clocks up all usage).
Not at this house, but when we used 4G at our last house you could see accumulated data throughput in the router admin pages. At that time we were regularly topping 1TB download a month. One day I popped in to an EE shop to check what deals they had and the shop guy accessed my account to advise me what would be best for my circumstances … when he saw my usage he needed scraped off the floor (the router was using a second SIM on the same account I have for my phone).

I haven’t measured it since we moved to our present home with FTTP, however, we no longer use satellite for broadcast TV as we never got round to having a dish or aerial installed. So even when we’re watching ‘live’ TV it’s via iPlayer or ITV or whoever. The offspring are all more or less constantly streaming something in their own bedrooms as well.

That said, it’s video streaming that really racks it up and the two heaviest consumers are the living room TV which streams 5-6 hours a day, every day, and our eldest, who runs a youtube channel and voraciously consumes youtube content similar to his own interests the entire time he’s awake, even down to carrying his phone round the house and wearing headphones.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2024, 19:40   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Just tested my openreach FTTP and not bad, my ISP brands it as 900/100.

Attached Images
File Type: png Speed.PNG (38.1 KB, 25 views)