Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The anyone but England thread!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The anyone but England thread!
Closed Thread

Old 27-05-2006, 14:33   #1
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
The anyone but England thread!

Hi All,
Thought i would start a thread around the World Cup for all the Welsh, Irish, Scottish, well whoever supporters out there, who ARENT from England and to ask who you will be supporting come the World Cup apart from whoever's playing England (if your from a home nation)?

Persoanlly im going for T&T as you can probably tell, why? Well they are big underdogs and a large majority of their players play in Scotland, two of them for my beloved Falkirk.

So who are you supporting then?
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2006, 14:44   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: The anyone but England thread!

Part of me REALLY wants to see England crash and burn, followed by weeks of blaming the players, the pitch, the manager, the FA, Saddam Hussein, the incompletion of the new Wembley Stadium, Mystic Meg, my next door neighbour and Bamber Gascoigne (the guy who used to present University Challenge).

But deep down, out of all the teams taking part, I would rather see an England win.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-05-2006, 14:45   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
Part of me REALLY wants to see England crash and burn, followed by weeks of blaming the players, the pitch, the manager, the FA, Saddam Hussein, the incompletion of the new Wembley Stadium, Mystic Meg, my next door neighbour and Bamber Gascoigne (the guy who used to present University Challenge).

But deep down, out of all the teams taking part, I would rather see an England win.
So we can have another 50 years of them banging on about 66 and 06, no thanks...

Although i appreciate your choice, i just can stomach it personally.
Old 27-05-2006, 14:46   #4
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

I'm another for T&T to do well.

Not so much the England team but seeing the English Broadcasting Corporation are already starting to go overboard on the coverage.

Still it might be an idea for another competition, taking bets on how long it is into the commentary that 1966 is mentioned (It was 7 minutes last time), how long before Rooneys injury is blamed for a loss and for the 1st football hooligans to be described as 'British' instead of English.
Old 27-05-2006, 14:51   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
So we can have another 50 years of them banging on about 66 and 06, no thanks...

Although i appreciate your choice, i just can stomach it personally.
The lesser of 2 evils mate! And no matter how they do next month, we'll still be getting 1966 rammed down our throats for years to come...

However if you're asking who I'd want to win apart from England, I'll go for Dutch win.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo

Not so much the England team but seeing the English Broadcasting Corporation are already starting to go overboard on the coverage.

Still it might be an idea for another competition, taking bets on how long it is into the commentary that 1966 is mentioned (It was 7 minutes last time), how long before Rooneys injury is blamed for a loss and for the 1st football hooligans to be described as 'British' instead of English.
And should they be well behaved, the papers will instead tell how good the 'England fans' were

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-05-2006, 14:53   #6
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzo

For any England fans looking in and thinking were being a bit racist here - right there in that post is why I dont and most of the people i personally know, dont want England to win.

The thought of Motty dribbling over Rooney, at least in the early stages of the competition, has at least been avoided.

But your right - get the stopwatch out - i'd be VERY suprised if the even make it to kick off.

Quote:
The lesser of 2 evils mate! And no matter how they do next month, we'll still be getting 1966 rammed down our throats for years to come...

However if you're asking who I'd want to win apart from England, I'll go for Dutch win.
Dutch are a good call actually, never met a Dutch person who i didnt like and been over there many a time. I'll be keeping an eye out for them anyway thats for sure.
Old 27-05-2006, 19:55   #7
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

well I love to watch brasil, but I am going for Australia, cause I loved it over there.

that's mainly why, but I would love to see either:
Holland
Japan
South Korea
Togo
T & T
Australia
Switzerland
Sweden

in fact any team apart from England,

I am only 31 I don't want to have it rammed down my throat if they win again, and have the rest of my life listening to the media go on and on and on and on and on about it.....

ik
Old 27-05-2006, 21:48   #8
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

wow you lot are going to be so Disappointed come July 9th
Old 27-05-2006, 21:54   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The small-minded celts thread ;-)

Thread title edited to something a little closer to the truth.
Old 27-05-2006, 21:55   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Yes indeed

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-05-2006, 21:55   #11
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Re: The small-minded celts thread ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Thread title edited to something a little closer to the truth.
Well done!
Old 27-05-2006, 21:56   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Yes indeed
Indeed indeed.
Old 27-05-2006, 22:00   #13
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Re: The 'I'm well balanced, I have a chip on both shoulders' thread

Abuse of power eh? And I said I wanted England to win!

The title shall go back to (and remain) as it was

You can have your glory when England win the World Cup (which you obviously will, right? I mean, it's your time right?? ) so we'll have our fun now

We are of course free to support whoever we want....

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-05-2006, 22:12   #14
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Did you see that Charity fix tonight - my god it was nothing but England clips from 66!

What an embarassment, that was even worse than the Beeb and thats saying something.

Roll on the Penalty shootouts!
Old 28-05-2006, 10:13   #15
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

If anyone is interested in seeing the guidelines for commentators see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC/ITV
BBC World Cup Guidelines for commentary team.

1 -Within 1 minute of kick off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), the commentator must mention England.

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.

3 - The commentator shall refer to the Falkland Isles in passing at some point in the match if England play Argentina.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst will be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned approximately 20 times.

6 - 1966 must be mentioned approximately 10 times per match, or on 4 or 5 occasions for matches not involving England.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team lifting the trophy, the commentator will mention Bobby Moore - and 1966.

8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being arrogant by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts and their general footballing ability.

9 - Should England play Germany, mentions of Winston Churchill, Dambusters, the Luftwaffe and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory - and 1966.

10 - All Scottish members of our commentary team must continue to refer to England as "we" and "us".

11 - We must ensure that nationlistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of course, the Germans are arrogant. The Spanish are bottlers, The Ivory Coast are fast but bad at defending, The Angolans are disorganised, The Argentineans are cheats and the French are only good because their best players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the players that are playing in England. (eg - Holland v Argentina should be referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).

13 - The phrase " Bulldog spirit" should be used as often as possible.

14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.

16 - If in any doubt, mention 1966.

17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadiums in Germany but emphasise that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since 1966.

18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

20 - When England bow out after the first stage, we must emphasise that it is a massive blow to football and a serious loss to the World Cup.
Closed Thread