Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disgusting disregard of our heritage.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Disgusting disregard of our heritage.

Old 11-08-2023, 21:00   #31
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Disgusting disregard of our heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Oh, right. That’s an interesting point that I hadn’t considered.

Remind me to take no notice of anyone on here who advises me on buying a property!

Interesting that you can’t see the danger presented by this. People I know have been advised to evacuate their subsidised property and it looked a lot safer than that relic!
Speculative nonsense as always.

Has any competent authority determines this? What you would buy is irrelevant.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2023, 21:00   #32
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s stood for decades, nay, hundreds, of years.

Sounds like red tape, ‘elf and safety gone mad, etc. to say it’s unsafe now. Especially with no qualifications
It's the sort of structure the local council would visit regularly as they wouldn't want to be left holding the bucket of you-know-what if something did happen. It's the kind of thing I'd expect an armchair structural engineer to know, especially one with local authority experience.
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 21:00   #33
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It’s stood for decades, nay, hundreds, of years.

Sounds like red tape, ‘elf and safety gone mad, etc. to say it’s unsafe now. Especially with no qualifications
Yes, and no doubt it would have stood forever! You are so hilarious! I’d stop now while you’re losing this argument!
Old 11-08-2023, 21:01   #34
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, and no doubt it would have stood forever! You are so hilarious! I’d stop now while you’re losing this argument!
OB if losing an argument was a worthy cause for not contributing we’d see much less of you.
Old 11-08-2023, 21:07   #35
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
It's the sort of structure the local council would visit regularly as they wouldn't want to be left holding the bucket of you-know-what if something did happen. It's the kind of thing I'd expect an armchair structural engineer to know, especially one with local authority experience.
Then let the local council pay for it.

My local council paid for a telephone box that is now plastered with masking tape and with seven panes knocked out! The paintwork has all peeled off. By the way, the phone no longer works!

You couldn’t make it up and you people all seem to think it’s OK!

Common sense has gone out of the window.

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Quote:
OB if losing an argument was a worthy cause for not contributing we’d see much less of you.
I’ve not lost any argument. Nobody seems to be arguing the points I’ve made.

I did notice that, and it’s a common theme on Cable Forum, unfortunately.

Why exactly do you think this dangerous structure should have been preserved?Clearly, not many people visited it!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 11-08-2023 at 22:30.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 21:10   #36
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

My local council paid for a telephone box that is now plastered with masking tape and with seven panes knocked out! The paintwork has all peeled off. By the way, the phone no longer works!

“Common” sense - and dare I say adhering to the law - would have told the purchaser who wanted empty land to go elsewhere rather than break planning rules to remove an existing structure they didn’t want when they purchased it.

More anecdotal evidence of nothing at all.

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Quote:
I’ve no lost any argument. Nobody seems to be arguing the points I’ve made.
When your points are entirely fabricated to justify a property developer breaking planning rules - as decided by the Conservative Government, implemented by local authorities - it’s unsurprising that the vast majority, using their “common” sense, decide to ignore you.
Old 11-08-2023, 22:32   #37
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
“Common” sense - and dare I say adhering to the law - would have told the purchaser who wanted empty land to go elsewhere rather than break planning rules to remove an existing structure they didn’t want when they purchased it.

When your points are entirely fabricated to justify a property developer breaking planning rules - as decided by the Conservative Government, implemented by local authorities - it’s unsurprising that the vast majority, using their “common” sense, decide to ignore you.
And still, you haven’t got the ammunition to address my argument. What are you playing at?

I think I know the answer. It’s called deflection.
Old 11-08-2023, 22:36   #38
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And still, you haven’t got the ammunition to address my argument. What are you playing at?

I think I know the answer. It’s called deflection.
OB it’s not my fault if you are incapable of, or wilfully are not, understanding the inherent flaw in your own argument of condoning potentially criminal activity.

What the planning rules could/should say are irrelevant.

You’ve made it clear the interests of property developers should go above local communities. You want them to be able to ride roughshot over the hard won restrictions that are in the planning system to control land use in this country. Considering you are condoning slavery as the answer to Britain’s lack of competitiveness in global markets in the other thread I would call it a night.

If you are going to hang about then riddle me this, OB. As a Conservative of all things. Why should a landowner of nearby land, with appropriate planning permission for whatever someone wants to build, have their land (and asset) devalued by criminal activity, knowing that anyone can buy any other land without planning permission, illegally demolish whatever happens to be on it, subsequently get planning permission that wouldn’t have been approved without the illegal demolition in the middle?

Last edited by jfman; 11-08-2023 at 22:49.
Old 12-08-2023, 02:27   #39
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Very sad this happend to it
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 09:26   #40
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I see OB has got the latest talking points from CCHQ.

Everything (in this and other threads yesterday) is either "deflection", "hot air", "you’re not arguing the points I made", or "I’ve answered that already, it’s up to you to find it"…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:40   #41
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Well, these are not the points I’m arguing. Yes, clearly the law has been broken and that should carry consequences.

My point is that this obsession we have to list buildings has gone too far and the law needs to change. There will be those buildings we wish to preserve, of course, but if nobody wants to buy it and preserve it, it should be bought by the government.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:42   #42
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

---------- Post added at 21:07 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

I’ve not lost any argument. Nobody seems to be arguing the points I’ve made.

I did notice that, and it’s a common theme on Cable Forum, unfortunately.

Why exactly do you think this dangerous structure should have been preserved?Clearly, not many people visited it!
Back in the day local councils have purchased properties etc to protect them for future generations, but unfortunately your team have cut the funding so deeply that councils no longer have the money.

Also, I wonder if your contemptuous view of the planning laws would change if your next door neighbours decided to install a dioxin factory in their back garden, or open a 24 hour a day heavy engineering works?
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 11:48   #43
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Back in the day local councils have purchased properties etc to protect them for future generations, but unfortunately your team have cut the funding so deeply that councils no longer have the money.

Also, I wonder if your contemptuous view of the planning laws would change if your next door neighbours decided to install a dioxin factory in their back garden, or open a 24 hour a day heavy engineering works?
I have already made clear that I am not justifying anyone breaking the law.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:48   #44
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yes, clearly the law has been broken and that should carry consequences.
Which law do you believe has been broken?

Quote:
it should be bought by the government.
You're advocating nationalisation? Get back to your left-leaning snake pit.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:33   #45
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
You're the only person I'm aware of saying the building was unsafe.
And no doubt the same comment could be made of leaning tower of Pisa. Both buildings have undergone some "stabilization". The pub had huge internal steel beams, some of which were clearly visible after the fire. I visited the place back in 2010 & was very impressed with how they were maintaining it.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote