Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to get into the MSN web site

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Rural broadband

Old 28-08-2023, 08:24   #1
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice
Rural broadband

I am looking at buying a house where Virgin don’t cover, mobile phone coverage is slow and the only telco anywhere near is Open Reach who only have FTTC and the maximum speed is 11Mbps with a guaranteed 3 minimum.
Impressive huh?
I need to work from home so was thinking I might have to pull out of the purchase but I have just seen Starlink.
Has anyone tried them? It looks like it could be a solution to my problem.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2023, 08:28   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Rural broadband

Expensive but as you say likely your only option for good speed

What about FTTP on Demand (if available)? I know the install can cost 3K+ but overtime it will end up cheaper than Starlink (possibly)
Old 28-08-2023, 08:46   #3
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Expensive but as you say likely your only option for good speed

What about FTTP on Demand (if available)? I know the install can cost 3K+ but overtime it will end up cheaper than Starlink (possibly)
Starlink is 450 for the equipment and 75/ month. So I’m not sure it would be cheaper, but I hadn’t heard of FTTP on demand. Just googled it and it could be an option but unlikely to be able to get it before we move in. But could be an option once we are in. Any ideas which ISPs offer this or how you go about getting it?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 28-08-2023, 08:54   #4
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

No I just know it exists

---------- Post added at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

A quick google shows perhaps Starlink will not be that much more than the On Demand monthly so better off with Starlink
Old 28-08-2023, 10:37   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I have a friend using Starlink in rural north wales. She swears by it. It will only get faster over time.

I’d be wary of FTTP on-demand. I suspect they are only likely to be able to offer this if there is already fibre infrastructure in and around your local exchange so all you’re paying them to do is replace the last 100 yards of copper to your home with fibre - i.e. they are only really offering you the chance to upgrade from fibre-to-the-cabinet to fibre-to-the-premises. If the fibre exists but isn’t already running near your home it could cost you a whole lot more than £3k to have them install it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 11:15   #6
bbxxl
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have a friend using Starlink in rural north wales. She swears by it. It will only get faster over time.

I’d be wary of FTTP on-demand. I suspect they are only likely to be able to offer this if there is already fibre infrastructure in and around your local exchange so all you’re paying them to do is replace the last 100 yards of copper to your home with fibre - i.e. they are only really offering you the chance to upgrade from fibre-to-the-cabinet to fibre-to-the-premises. If the fibre exists but isn’t already running near your home it could cost you a whole lot more than £3k to have them install it.
Thanks Chris.
Old 28-08-2023, 12:23   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbxxl View Post
I am looking at buying a house where Virgin don’t cover, mobile phone coverage is slow and the only telco anywhere near is Open Reach who only have FTTC and the maximum speed is 11Mbps with a guaranteed 3 minimum.
Impressive huh?
I need to work from home so was thinking I might have to pull out of the purchase but I have just seen Starlink.
Has anyone tried them? It looks like it could be a solution to my problem.
Don't buy a house with shit connectivity you will definitely regret it in the future unless you can get by with starlink as others have said, until other options are available.
Old 28-08-2023, 12:43   #8
bbxxl
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Don't buy a house with shit connectivity you will definitely regret it in the future unless you can get by with starlink as others have said, until other options are available.
Starlink should be fine. We don’t intend selling it anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 28-08-2023, 12:47   #9
bbxxl
cf.addict

The view from the back garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0495.jpeg (153.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 28-08-2023, 12:54   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Looks nice, hope there are no developments planned there anytime soon or caravan access, but it sounds like you have thought of everything, hope hayfever from the crop in the field isn't an issue.

Just hope a starlink order is accepted before you commit.
Old 28-08-2023, 14:18   #11
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

My friend (in Weardale) has a similar view, and he moved to StarLink (because of similar issues, made working from home almost impossible), and he’s very happy with it.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 14:30   #12
bbxxl
cf.addict

Great to hear. Thank you.
Old 28-08-2023, 14:36   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

What speeds do you actually get from Starlink ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2023, 16:02   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
What speeds do you actually get from Starlink ?
Average download speed: Mean 106.1 Mbps, Median 105.4 Mbps
Average upload speed: Mean 9.72 Mbps, Median 6.3 Mbps
Average latency: Median 66 ms
Download standard deviation: 70.55
Upload standard deviation: 6.31

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/...vice-in-the-uk

Using a standard VPN may not work with Starlink.
Old 28-08-2023, 17:15   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Oh, thats slower than I imagined, but then I suppose its better than the various ADSL offerings if you cant get any kind of fibre.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote