Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 or 360 poll

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 or 360 poll
View Poll Results: What Virgin Media software do you prefer?
Older V6 (TiVo software) 31 60.78%
Newer 360 (Horizon software) 17 33.33%
No preference either way 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2023, 15:36   #1
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
V6 or 360 poll

Can't recall seeing a poll on whether people prefer the 360 to V6, so please vote and let the Cable Forum readers know what you think
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2023, 19:41   #2
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: V6 or 360 poll

Haven't seen or used the 360 software however from what I have seen here, for and against , Iam in the if ,it ain't broke don't fix it court
Old 10-05-2023, 08:20   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I much prefer the 360 box. The profiles are extremely useful for keeping my wife's viewing separate from mine, and we have a third profile for the viewing we do together. The voice commands are also useful for finding programmes you want and for navigation generally.

My wife's watchlist is so long now, she couldn't find a programme she'd watched the day before, so I said that she should just say 'Find' and then the name of the programme, and hey presto, there it was.

The UI is much better, modern, and feels uncluttered.

The main reasons people give for preferring the TiVo is that is has an 'undelete' and a wishlist function. I used those only occasionally and I don't really don't miss it. When I do delete a programme by mistake, I generally find it anyway when I search for it.

The 360 also has the Disney+ and Paramount+ streamers, which I don't think the V6 has.

Yes, the TiVo has one or two features that the 360 doesn't, but the 360 also has features which the TiVo doesn't. It's different software, so it's not going to be exactly the same.

The previous issues relating to series links and the labelling of ‘new’ programmes so it didn’t re-record something you watched previously was resolved by Virgin a while back now.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 10-05-2023 at 08:27.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 13:14   #4
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I'm out of contract next month so I rang this morning to see what Virgin would offer for me to stay. I thought my two V6 boxes would be part of the conversation but the Scottish guy I spoke to didn't mention the older software.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 15:47   #5
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I much prefer the 360 box. The profiles are extremely useful for keeping my wife's viewing separate from mine, and we have a third profile for the viewing we do together. The voice commands are also useful for finding programmes you want and for navigation generally.

My wife's watchlist is so long now, she couldn't find a programme she'd watched the day before, so I said that she should just say 'Find' and then the name of the programme, and hey presto, there it was.

The UI is much better, modern, and feels uncluttered.

The main reasons people give for preferring the TiVo is that is has an 'undelete' and a wishlist function. I used those only occasionally and I don't really don't miss it. When I do delete a programme by mistake, I generally find it anyway when I search for it.

The 360 also has the Disney+ and Paramount+ streamers, which I don't think the V6 has.

Yes, the TiVo has one or two features that the 360 doesn't, but the 360 also has features which the TiVo doesn't. It's different software, so it's not going to be exactly the same.

The previous issues relating to series links and the labelling of ‘new’ programmes so it didn’t re-record something you watched previously was resolved by Virgin a while back now.
The Series links on the 360 are pathetic.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 17:28   #6
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The Series links on the 360 are pathetic.
Why do you think they are pathetic?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 02:47   #7
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Why do you think they are pathetic?
Where is the list of series links to manage them? As it stands, you don't know what's series linked and what isn't. How do you series link a series that is coming soon or even 6 months down the line, you can't.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:07   #8
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Where is the list of series links to manage them? As it stands, you don't know what's series linked and what isn't. How do you series link a series that is coming soon or even 6 months down the line, you can't.
I agree with these, especially the list of series links, but once you’ve used the box for some time and set all your links to new only, the problem disappears.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:19   #9
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I agree with these, especially the list of series links, but once you’ve used the box for some time and set all your links to new only, the problem disappears.
How so? Are you saying brand new series don't come out? You'll always have the same problem trying not to miss a series. Also, I believe (could be mistaken) the recording is per channel, not overall guide, so if the series changes to a different channel, the 360 won't pick that up. Which ties in with you still have a problem with manageable series links.

I'd go as far to say that the series link issues are not fit for purpose.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:21   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You don't need a list of series links. When you search for a programme or select a programme from your EPG, the system tells you whether you already have a series link or whether it is selected for the watchlist of that profile.

There used to be a problem with the 360 recording repeated programmes multiple times. However, some time ago, Virgin added additional information to indicate the 'new' programmes, and so if you set it to 'new only', it will only record the programme once.

Early experiences of the 360 were not so good, which is why it's not always a good idea to get it before it's properly tested out and moves out of Beta. There are no such problems now, Virgin have put them all right now.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:57   #11
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

I accept the point about the 360 not recording over alternate channels but the 360 seems to remember any recorded series in perpetuity. I have found that if I watched a particular series and then deleted the recordings when the next series becomes available it appears in the scheduled recordings list.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 11:14   #12
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You don't need a list of series links. When you search for a programme or select a programme from your EPG, the system tells you whether you already have a series link or whether it is selected for the watchlist of that profile.

There used to be a problem with the 360 recording repeated programmes multiple times. However, some time ago, Virgin added additional information to indicate the 'new' programmes, and so if you set it to 'new only', it will only record the programme once.

Early experiences of the 360 were not so good, which is why it's not always a good idea to get it before it's properly tested out and moves out of Beta. There are no such problems now, Virgin have put them all right now.
Of course you do. If you have over 100 series links, you want to be able to manage them, instead of searching for each show.
Old 11-05-2023, 14:49   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If a show is current live you can manage it in Recordings > Planned Recordings.

It's only those which are currently dormant that you can't see - but then they don't impact any live recordings either.

Last edited by BenMcr; 11-05-2023 at 14:52.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 15:06   #14
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
I accept the point about the 360 not recording over alternate channels but the 360 seems to remember any recorded series in perpetuity. I have found that if I watched a particular series and then deleted the recordings when the next series becomes available it appears in the scheduled recordings list.
My 360 has Match of the day on record new from BBC 1. As this weekend has Eurovision BBC have moved the initial broadcast to BBC 2. 360 will record the repeat on Sunday morning for me. I have added the Saturday night BBC 2 episode to record and got a warning that the show is due to be recorded on another channel. Yes, a manual intervention but the software does have a certain amount of cross channel knowledge..... Not far from TiVo after all .
Old 11-05-2023, 15:23   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

People should be offered a weeks training course for 360. Residential, at VMs expense.... Bournemouth would do.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote