Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freevee

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Odd cold callers on doorstep

Old 01-08-2023, 20:04   #1
smallclone
cf.geek

Services: M tv Broadband 150Mb/s. Superhub 3 V6
smallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of lightsmallclone is a glorious beacon of light
Odd cold callers on doorstep

Just had an amusing knock at my door. Two scruffy young guys dripping wet with bumfluff on their faces, asking if I had wireless connectivity issues. Asked who they represented: Select Compare. Never heard of them.

They said that I was probably with Virgin or BT and had probably been having dropout issues. They said they could get me much faster internet with a company called Fleur Broadband (seems a legit company).

I asked to see their business card or manager's number and they said they didn't have those details. They were down from Birmingham for the day staying in an AirB&B trying to get business. I said that seems a long way to come for such a job and he said "It's ok mate don't worry I make £1000 a week"

Anybody else had similar cold calling?
smallclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2023, 20:16   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: odd cold callers on doorstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallclone View Post
Just had an amusing knock at my door. Two scruffy young guys dripping wet with bumfluff on their faces, asking if I had wireless connectivity issues. Asked who they represented: Select Compare. Never heard of them.

They said that I was probably with Virgin or BT and had probably been having dropout issues. They said they could get me much faster internet with a company called Fleur Broadband (seems a legit company).

I asked to see their business card or manager's number and they said they didn't have those details. They were down from Birmingham for the day staying in an AirB&B trying to get business. I said that seems a long way to come for such a job and he said "It's ok mate don't worry I make £1000 a week"

Anybody else had similar cold calling?
Wouldn't know. I have a polite notice on my door:-
'If you're a cold caller, kindly feck off'

The alleged £1k a week he's making, is a sign that you're being fleeced for his benefit.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 20:40   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Odd cold callers on doorstep

No ID = confidence trickster
Old 02-08-2023, 09:40   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Probably VM or BT - yes the 2 biggest makes that more likely.
Probably having wireless dropouts - how would they know? Unless you are living in houses that all have wifi issues they don't know what you have on the LAN side of your connection. I suppose they could have a "scanner" that may detect if the VM/BT wifi is present and suppose wifi issues from that.
Old 02-08-2023, 13:15   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I suppose they could have a "scanner" that may detect if the VM/BT wifi is present and suppose wifi issues from that.
If I click on the wifi connection in the tool bar my laptop shows all the available networks, signal strength, security and usually the ownership.
Old 02-08-2023, 13:45   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Probably VM or BT - yes the 2 biggest makes that more likely.
Probably having wireless dropouts - how would they know? Unless you are living in houses that all have wifi issues they don't know what you have on the LAN side of your connection. I suppose they could have a "scanner" that may detect if the VM/BT wifi is present and suppose wifi issues from that.
They had no ID, which tells you everything you need to know.

People should have no truck with cold callers these days. You deal with them at considerable risk to yourself.
Old 02-08-2023, 14:49   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
No ID = confidence trickster
Also ID can = confidence trickster. So if not expected or requested say bye bye
Old 02-08-2023, 15:35   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Indeed. I was really just pointing out that the lack of ID proved the point.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:40   #9
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Indeed. I was really just pointing out that the lack of ID proved the point.
Absolutely - they should be uniformed and have ID if they are engineers with providers.

I'm just commenting that con men can have information about your service so appearing/being knowledgeable is not a mark of authenticity. As mentioned above some of this data can easily be gleaned with readily available tools without connecting to the network.