Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who

Old 27-06-2021, 21:18   #586
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Doctor Who

Can I just say that a gay actor does not mean that the Doctor would therefor be gay. A gay actor can play straight parts. Same way that a straight actor can play a gay role
Old 27-06-2021, 21:24   #587
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Very true.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 00:08   #588
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Sounds to me like the series lost its way a long time ago, the legacy is tarnished and the character solely serves as a platform to push agendas and messages.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 01:23   #589
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It was doing that back in the 70s.
Old 28-06-2021, 19:21   #590
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It was doing that back in the 70s.
Nonsense.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 19:37   #591
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Many of Pertwees stories had a message about the environment or political message in them.
Old 28-06-2021, 20:15   #592
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Many of Pertwees stories had a message about the environment or political message in them.
Only if you start looking hard enough to find what you want.
You could argue that the 'Green Death' was a little bit obvious.

The current programme is blatently in your face preaching, they dont even try to hide it, or make it subtle.

Not to mention of course the obvious pc choice of the doctor himself (oh, sorry, herself now).

We await the inevitable gay/trans black female doctor
In fact, they've already gone part of the way with that mystery black woman
Rewriting/retro fitting the whole Doctor/Timelord concept and back story to suit the latest agenda's.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 21:02   #593
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them

Dr who peaked with David Tennant, Matt Smith wasn't too bad and it has gone downhill since and Jodie has been awful
Frazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 22:21   #594
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazz View Post
Dr who peaked with David Tennant, Matt Smith wasn't too bad and it has gone downhill since and Jodie has been awful
Totally agree. I've stopped watching it now.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Only if you start looking hard enough to find what you want.
You could argue that the 'Green Death' was a little bit obvious.

The current programme is blatently in your face preaching, they dont even try to hide it, or make it subtle.

Not to mention of course the obvious pc choice of the doctor himself (oh, sorry, herself now).

We await the inevitable gay/trans black female doctor
In fact, they've already gone part of the way with that mystery black woman
Rewriting/retro fitting the whole Doctor/Timelord concept and back story to suit the latest agenda's.
Whilst I'm all for equality etc, the BBC is now trying to brainwash people. You're right, it isn't even subtle. They stick black issues/people into programmes for the sake of it, to a point where they are overrepresented.

It's counter productive to what they are trying to achieve.

It's not just Dr Who, Radio 4 is absolutely shocking now. Every genre of programming from plays to religious programmes, from comedy to history is all black, black, black. I'm sick of hearing about it now.

Yes, in the 70's they were underrepresented or always portrayed in a negative light, then things became more balanced, but it's absolutely ridiculous now.

I find the odd programme about it interesting, but not to this level

Would I like to see more disabled people on TV/radio, yes, but not being shoehorned into every damn programme for the sake of it until the point where people resent it.

As usual, it's probably not black people doing this and if you complain you're labelled 'racist' to shut you up because they know this will work with most folk these days.

I actually think that the next Dr will be a woman as to not do this would make them look like what they did was a mistake.

To me, the doctor will always be male, just like Father Christmas. Conversely, Mother Nature will never be male.
Old 29-06-2021, 09:35   #595
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

They said a while ago they wanted the next regeneration to ge a total surprise. Only to be revealed on screen at the time. Almost impossible to pull off these days, but it would be good. Maybe Olly is a 'stalking horse'.... Maybe several different regenerations filmed would be the way to do it ?

I'd like Stephen Mangan to give it a go.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 12:46   #596
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Doctor Who has been political ever since I started watching at the time of the reboot. Matt Smith had such episodes, David Tennant did as well.

Science-fiction is often quite political.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 15:33   #597
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Doctor Who has been political ever since I started watching at the time of the reboot. Matt Smith had such episodes, David Tennant did as well.

Science-fiction is often quite political.
It has, but it was much more subtle and not non stop.

I remember watching one from the 70's tho a bit back where Pertwees assistant was acting the sweet, unintelligent woman who was asking his permission to do something trivial. Reminded me of Corrie when Deadrie asked her husband Ray if she could have a chequebook after they were married. He said "we'll see"
Old 29-06-2021, 15:51   #598
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It might be more obvious now which is probably down to them covering newer, different, issues as society changes and the writing not being as good. I think a lot of British television writing fails the 'show, don't tell' rule of storytelling in that they don't trust the audience to pick up on the subtext of their work and instead mainline to you via excessive exposition.

Whereas a (good) American drama might naturally hope you pick up a theme through the actions of the characters and the beats of a story a British one will pause everything so that one of the characters can tell you the theme in a little speech. I am not a writer but my theory for this is a lot of British writers come from theatre and don't fully appreciate all the additional devices film gives them over the theatre.

Doctor Who probably has an additional disadvantage here in that whilst other science fiction settings force the writers to tackle an issue via allegory they can just jump to a real-world example where the audience already brings their own knowledge/opinions/preconceptions to it. So if Star Trek wanted to do an episode on Slavery they would use a fictional example and can change that as they see fit, the audience would be new to it. Doctor Who would just go back to the American Civil War to have a chinwag with Lincoln and fight off against Confedrate Daleks.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 17:11   #599
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It might be more obvious now which is probably down to them covering newer, different, issues as society changes and the writing not being as good. I think a lot of British television writing fails the 'show, don't tell' rule of storytelling in that they don't trust the audience to pick up on the subtext of their work and instead mainline to you via excessive exposition.

Whereas a (good) American drama might naturally hope you pick up a theme through the actions of the characters and the beats of a story a British one will pause everything so that one of the characters can tell you the theme in a little speech. I am not a writer but my theory for this is a lot of British writers come from theatre and don't fully appreciate all the additional devices film gives them over the theatre.

Doctor Who probably has an additional disadvantage here in that whilst other science fiction settings force the writers to tackle an issue via allegory they can just jump to a real-world example where the audience already brings their own knowledge/opinions/preconceptions to it. So if Star Trek wanted to do an episode on Slavery they would use a fictional example and can change that as they see fit, the audience would be new to it. Doctor Who would just go back to the American Civil War to have a chinwag with Lincoln and fight off against Confedrate Daleks.
Yes, Alien Nation is a prime example of this.
Old 12-07-2021, 23:27   #600
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

A blind lad is raising money to help other blind fans of the show:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.c...-14848133/amp/