Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Old 18-02-2013, 20:17   #31
Gateshead
Inactive

Gateshead is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Does anyone employed by mj Quinn know how easy it is to swap between managed installs and data? I'm on the managed installation course but experience in data. Was wondering if work was quiet if you could switch as an option. Also is data better work or managed installation? Which has the greater chance of being closer to home or working away?
Cheers

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

And why is it we, re being told we, re getting diesel cards but current engineers have to pay for fuel?
Gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2013, 21:18   #32
woody201059
Inactive

woody201059 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi gateshead i dont know why we are getting told were getting fuel cards unless is something new as for the managed installs and data i dont know if you can change over to that or even if you could or not but it would be worth knowing!!! as for being close to home ive been told ill be working within a 40 mile radius of my home
woody201059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:26   #33
Gateshead
Inactive

Ye same here working within 40 miles but I'm just wondering how flexible they ARE. They asked me if I wanted data or managed installs. Data was a12 day course. I chose managed installs as they said you got more work doing them.
Old 18-02-2013, 21:33   #34
woody201059
Inactive

woody201059 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was told the pay is better with managed installs but i had the choose of doing managed install or copper install dont really know how flexible they are but will try and find out
woody201059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 21:39   #35
Gateshead
Inactive

Ye I think copper and data are both the same. Although I can't understand why you need a 12day course unless your training people up from scratch. I'm hoping they recognise the qualifications and experience new engineers bring to the company and allow flexibility to change or dual work both types of installation.
Old 19-02-2013, 15:33   #36
Paul55
Inactive

Paul55 is on a distinguished roadPaul55 is on a distinguished road

I'm on the install course on 11th March as well. I'm a little concerned as I have done any telecom work since I was an Exchange Mtce engineer back in the late 70's, I left BT in '81. Do you know if this involves any working at height? I'm crap at heights. The job almost seems to be too good to be true Or am I being too cynical?
Paul55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 16:02   #37
Gateshead
Inactive

Your being cynical. Bt wiring hadn't changed with regards wiring order only the fact the cab is being linkedto ffibre. You need a head for heights but only telegraph poles up to 5m. They are training everyone up to bt standard not justfor their equipment but also to garuntee the standard for health and safety. Basically everyone should be on the same level upon completion of the course.
Old 19-02-2013, 16:18   #38
G Telf
Inactive

G Telf is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

I've just been contacted by the agency re going on the course on the 18th. As I'm coming from an Electrical background I was advised to do the 12 day course, does anyone know if it cover both data and copper ??

I also have my worries regarding moving from a stable job to contracting and this does sound to good to be true.

I was also told it was a 3yr contract.

I'm up in Scotland too so will there be enough work coming thru for me !?!

Decisions decisions
G Telf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 16:51   #39
Paul55
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshead View Post
Your being cynical. Bt wiring hadn't changed with regards wiring order only the fact the cab is being linkedto ffibre. You need a head for heights but only telegraph poles up to 5m. They are training everyone up to bt standard not justfor their equipment but also to garuntee the standard for health and safety. Basically everyone should be on the same level upon completion of the course.
Thanks mate
Old 19-02-2013, 18:28   #40
Gateshead
Inactive

Copper and data are both same process.generally speaking its cat 5e cat 6 enabljng voice over data. Basically commercial premises requiring multiple data points and telephones
Old 19-02-2013, 19:36   #41
G Telf
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateshead View Post
Copper and data are both same process.generally speaking its cat 5e cat 6 enabljng voice over data. Basically commercial premises requiring multiple data points and telephones
Thanks mate,

Has anyone had their confirmation e-mail from MJ yet ??

How long does it take to come after agency confirm a successful application ??

Sorry for all the questions guys
Old 19-02-2013, 20:50   #42
Gateshead
Inactive

I haven't heard of anyone recieving confirmation from mj quinn however course content is from mj quinn. Earlier posts from employees mention an umbrella company dealing with pay for tax and ni.i can only assume this might be tge agency responsible for recruitment. Confirmation from mj quinn should come the day you pick your van up once you complete the course. After all that day is a company induction day.

I may her wrong however but that's the way it's been from people I know have went through the process in the past.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:59   #43
G Telf
Inactive

Was the course content sent out by post mate ??
Old 19-02-2013, 21:03   #44
Gateshead
Inactive

No its emailed as an attachment 2 to 3 days after you received phone confirmation from insite
Old 20-02-2013, 12:26   #45
Paul55
Inactive

Anyone got any recommendations for B&B's near the Coventry training centre?

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Here's a heads up for everyone attending the course at Coventry. The first day is from 4:30pm till Midnight & so are the next 4 days!