Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

Old 08-10-2013, 13:11   #196
disco1
Inactive

disco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: mj Quinn bt openreach engineers

first time visitor to this site. some interesting comments. i used to work for VM on fujitsu glasgow contract, the wages where reasonable but had problems getting the right pay due to wages being processed down south (apparently) had to log job codes and was getting messed around, long hourse etc........i have been offered to go to an induction/training in coventry with kelly group. is it worth it? i prseume i would be working glasgow regio or perhaps aberdeen if willing to travel? someone who is working the now for them please advise me...? i heard the money making can be good? also how do i apply for mj quinns? glasgow region also...thanks lads....
disco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2013, 20:59   #197
parkzy
Inactive

parkzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by insulatorpotty View Post
another senior quinns manager or are you related to someone in the office. ??.

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

good on you mate, the pay for frames guys on quinns is rubbish for what is expected. i know guys who worked from 8 til 8 for £90 and still got a bollocking because they had not done all their work.
nope just a lonely enginner like ever1 else lol i really dont see the problem. well iv certainly never had 1.
parkzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 22:22   #198
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point

i worked for Fujitsu, and the day before i was goin for my training with kelly's, at the same depot, they took me off the course because i had worked for fujitsu apparently..

Kelly's had 3 months at the notts depot yet ive just been told they have now gone because they tendered too high for the contract.
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51   #199
cld1987
Inactive

cld1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

There seems to be a theme to this thread. It being that the pay is promising, but the repercussions for faults is unfair. For example, 10pt defect fines, van damage fines, etc.

All engineers are employed on a self employed basis.

Therefore, lets say you worked as a self employed as a plasterer, for example. If you lost your tools, who would pay for them? If you damaged your van, who would pay for it? If you did a poor job for a customer, who would be held responsible?

Welcome to the real world, fellas.

There are engineers who live in Lancs, that have worked hard and now are bashing out 6-10 jobs a day in places like Glasgow on £42.50 an hour.

All applicants please note. This job is not easy and you are self employed and accountable for your work and equiptment. But you get out, what you put in.

If you're lazy, shabby and dozey when applying youself to your work. You're prone to making errors which will result in costs. Just like any other SELF EMPLOYED work.

I think this is just another example of the "something for nothing" Britain we live in today.
cld1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 14:03   #200
disco1
Inactive

Cld1987. You sound like another manager but you make some good points.
Do you know how to apply to Mj Quinn's ? I'm looking for a contact based in Scotland. Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 14:14   #201
cld1987
Inactive

cld1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just ring 0151 547 8800 and ask to be through to recruitment. It's irrelevant whether I am or not, mate. It is what it is, self employment.
cld1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 15:23   #202
disco1
Inactive

i understand, thanks. least i know now that both quinn's and kelly's i'd be self employed. i think that's the way f-tel was also if i remember correctly. thanks again.
i suppose its a personal choice. take the plunge or not haha
Old 09-10-2013, 16:56   #203
insulatorpotty
Inactive

insulatorpotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cld1987 View Post
Just ring 0151 547 8800 and ask to be through to recruitment. It's irrelevant whether I am or not, mate. It is what it is, self employment.
LOL. another condescending piece of nonsense and from the arrogance of your post you are definitely a quinn manager or member of the inner circle up there. We are all intelligent enough to understand the concept of self employment and undertake the responsibilities involved. However most self employed workers ie plasterers , get some say in what they do and how much they get paid. That in fact is the basis of the definition of self employed according to employment law and the hmrc. Something quinns seemed to have not bothered to study too closely. if quinns engineers are self employed how come they cannot invoice for no access, returns to bt, time wasting by control etc. which any other self employed person is entitled to do. quinns want all the benefits of having employed staff but none of the costs.
The plain fact is that after nearly 3 years of this contract it is still being poorly run and that is down to management, no one else.
insulatorpotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 17:07   #204
mjquinnemployee
Inactive

mjquinnemployee is an unknown quantity at this point

Insulatorpotty you got it right. You are not self employed, I don't care what quinns tells you. Another example, I tried to insure the tools that quinns gave me, and the insurance company would not insure them because QUINNS owns the tools! You are not allowed to use your own tools. If I was self employed I would pay a small amount to insure myself against heavy losses if tools go walking.
If you are self-employed, why do you get 50 calls a day from control checking what time you got on site, what is the status of the job, why isn't this job finished...blah blah blah...that sounds like I am working for somebody else to me!! right??
I post on here to INFORM other misfortunate souls the truth about this company. I am not here to "get something for nothing."
Just some interesting facts about MJ Quinn for those interested in working for them. I can only speak of Copper Provision, although I am dual skilled.

Training costs will be charged to you if you do not complete the required 26 weeks. That total could top £1690 for a 13 day course that you will be liable for if you cannot for some reason complete.

Training records will be held by mj quinn and they will not give them to you until you either pay for your training or complete 26+ weeks. They own them and the training company has an agreement not to release them to you.

You have to pay for your own public liability insurance. £6 a month. worth it!

Van insurance deductible is £500-1000 or higher if you have a accident on your record

You will pay for your own fuel. So you work 1 whole day just to pay your fuel for the week.

they charge £25 a day if you are off sick with a doctors note, it is £50 a day if no sick note. (like if the teachers go on strike and you have no childcare!)

Fines from auditors are always a possibility. (cld1987 I am not lazy, dozey or shabby and NO I have never received a fine) I am not complaining, just saying this is something people coming on do not know about in advance.

BT Hubs are always busy. If you are on copper you can only work as fast as you can get ahold of the hub sometimes. I have been sitting for up to an hour trying to get ahold of them.

If the exchange doesn't get to your job, you get a tenner no matter how long you have worked. Same goes for d-side faults, if BT doesnt show to fix it THAT DAY, you get a tenner. I have had many BT engineers call me the next morning to tell me they got the problem fixed. I just tell them it doesnt matter to me cause I am only getting a tenner.

I hear MI is decent, and you can make good money. Copper provision is not worth it, you will just get taken advantage of. Depends where you are working at too.

I work hard, and I don't want something for nothing, but I do expect to get paid for each and every job I do. Otherwise it seems, that quinns is the one getting something for nothing.
mjquinnemployee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 18:31   #205
insulatorpotty
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjquinnemployee View Post
Insulatorpotty you got it right. You are not self employed, I don't care what quinns tells you. Another example, I tried to insure the tools that quinns gave me, and the insurance company would not insure them because QUINNS owns the tools! You are not allowed to use your own tools. If I was self employed I would pay a small amount to insure myself against heavy losses if tools go walking.
If you are self-employed, why do you get 50 calls a day from control checking what time you got on site, what is the status of the job, why isn't this job finished...blah blah blah...that sounds like I am working for somebody else to me!! right??
I post on here to INFORM other misfortunate souls the truth about this company. I am not here to "get something for nothing."
Just some interesting facts about MJ Quinn for those interested in working for them. I can only speak of Copper Provision, although I am dual skilled.

Training costs will be charged to you if you do not complete the required 26 weeks. That total could top £1690 for a 13 day course that you will be liable for if you cannot for some reason complete.

Training records will be held by mj quinn and they will not give them to you until you either pay for your training or complete 26+ weeks. They own them and the training company has an agreement not to release them to you.

You have to pay for your own public liability insurance. £6 a month. worth it!

Van insurance deductible is £500-1000 or higher if you have a accident on your record

You will pay for your own fuel. So you work 1 whole day just to pay your fuel for the week.

they charge £25 a day if you are off sick with a doctors note, it is £50 a day if no sick note. (like if the teachers go on strike and you have no childcare!)

Fines from auditors are always a possibility. (cld1987 I am not lazy, dozey or shabby and NO I have never received a fine) I am not complaining, just saying this is something people coming on do not know about in advance.

BT Hubs are always busy. If you are on copper you can only work as fast as you can get ahold of the hub sometimes. I have been sitting for up to an hour trying to get ahold of them.

If the exchange doesn't get to your job, you get a tenner no matter how long you have worked. Same goes for d-side faults, if BT doesnt show to fix it THAT DAY, you get a tenner. I have had many BT engineers call me the next morning to tell me they got the problem fixed. I just tell them it doesnt matter to me cause I am only getting a tenner.

I hear MI is decent, and you can make good money. Copper provision is not worth it, you will just get taken advantage of. Depends where you are working at too.

I work hard, and I don't want something for nothing, but I do expect to get paid for each and every job I do. Otherwise it seems, that quinns is the one getting something for nothing.
spot on mate.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:14   #206
Ricfromkent
Inactive

Ricfromkent is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire52 View Post
Warning to anyone considering working as a frames guy for quinns DONT!!!! The company is s**t 50 hour week take home pay £320 do the maths its minimum wage. I also average 200 miles a day and spend at least £100 a week on fuel £90 per day is a joke. Plus watch it when you return your vehicle the horror stories are true. All irrelevant now as I jacked it in this week
Hi just joined this forum.after seeing your post,had to respond.just been laid off by quinns ,what a waste of space!they expected me to return van to Liverpool from Kent and get home.not bad? They withheld two weeks wages first so how could I pay out over £200 to return van?
They sent a collection company to pick van up.filled out an inspection form which I signed.a week later discovered they were charging me over £400 for damage to the van that was not present when it left here.been told by fleet manager I am responsible for van until it arrived at Liverpool.great no job and thanks to quinns no money and a s**t Xmas for wifeand the kids.stress is making marriage fall apart.been offered job with Kelly's for new year...terrified it's the same old thing again.
Anyone got any suggestions?
Ricfromkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 17:26   #207
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfromkent View Post
Hi just joined this forum.after seeing your post,had to respond.just been laid off by quinns ,what a waste of space!they expected me to return van to Liverpool from Kent and get home.not bad? They withheld two weeks wages first so how could I pay out over £200 to return van?
They sent a collection company to pick van up.filled out an inspection form which I signed.a week later discovered they were charging me over £400 for damage to the van that was not present when it left here.been told by fleet manager I am responsible for van until it arrived at Liverpool.great no job and thanks to quinns no money and a s**t Xmas for wifeand the kids.stress is making marriage fall apart.been offered job with Kelly's for new year...terrified it's the same old thing again.
Probably best to go for the Kelly's job and then look out for jobs in BT when they inevitably recruit again next year. That's all I can say to people, don't let the BT jobs pass you by keep an eye out on bt4me.co.uk
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 21:42   #208
insulatorpotty
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricfromkent View Post
yep complain to some one above the fleet manager, ie the managing director. if youve got proof there was no damage to the van when they collected it you should be ok.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:15   #209
sweaty
Inactive

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point

Jesus they make Kelly's sound good!!
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 20:24   #210
insulatorpotty
Inactive

looks like there will be more engineers leaving quinns in the new year , openreach are trialling customer fibre installs, as it only needs a hub now for BT infinity. .with the engineers just doing the cab work. great if the customer has only a master and or extns wired correctly but if not, thats a visit from another engineer to sort out the star wiring/backfeeding etc. ( will openreach charge for this?? i get the feeling they will :-)