Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | FOUR Tory MPs have thrown in the towel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

FOUR Tory MPs have thrown in the towel

Old 09-06-2023, 16:56   #1
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
FOUR Tory MPs have thrown in the towel

Nadine Dorries standing down as MP with immediate effect
In a tweet moments ago, Nadine Dorries wrote: "I have today informed the chief whip that I am standing down as the MP for Mid Bedfordshire, with immediate effect.

"It has been an honour to serve as the MP for such a wonderful constituency but it is now time for someone younger to take the reins."

This will trigger a by-election in her Mid Bedfordshire constituency.

Nadine Dorries has served in parliament since 2005, and has served in government since 2019 when Boris Johnson took office.

She was promoted to the Cabinet in September 2021, serving Culture Secretary until Mr Johnson left Downing Street in September 2022.

Her standing down as MP means that a by-election will now take place in her constituency.

At the 2019 general election, she won 59.8% of the vote, or a majority of 24,664, meaning it was a relatively safe Conservative seat.

However, with Tory party currently struggling in the polls, opposition parties will no doubt fight hard to take that seat.

https://news.sky.com/story/politics-...-blob-12593360

dont let the door hit you on way out Nadine
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2023, 17:14   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Nadine Dorris stands down as MP with immediate effect

She's obviously not done it because of this...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...full-x77j5dhq9

Quote:
Nadine Dorries, the former culture secretary, and Alok Sharma, the former Cop26 president, had been expected to stand down to take peerages, leaving Sunak facing two by-elections.

However, a Whitehall source said that both were taken off the list yesterday over concerns about the damaging impact of the contests, particularly in Sharma’s marginal Reading West seat. Downing Street declined to comment.

Last night a source familiar with the process said that Dorries and Sharma’s names had been resubmitted to the House of Lords appointments committee for vetting and their peerages were likely to be granted at a later date.
Also, Nads this morning on TalkTV

https://twitter.com/i/status/1667183710561615880

Quote:
The last thing I would want to do is cause a by-election in my constituency
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 09-06-2023 at 17:19.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 17:20   #3
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Blue on blue action. Delicious.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 17:23   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I wonder if Johnson will go for the seat?

On a related note, I see Conor Burns has been ambushed by a knighthood - just goes to show if you continually spout sycophantic nonsensical rubbish about cakes, your toadying will be rewarded…

(OB lurking hopefully)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 09-06-2023 at 19:03.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 20:05   #5
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

These people who get Knighthoods or Peerages and were just friends/minor staffers for a Prime Minister, how do they not feel embarrassed by it? At least with long-standing MPs there is an element of public service being rewarded and something to be said for experience in the Lords. We may not always agree and see them as politically motivated but at least in their minds there is a justification.

But to go around as a 'Sir', 'Dame' or 'Lord' and put yourself in a category with people who earned it because your mate was PM? Just shameless.

Shaun Bailey. Failed candidate for London Mayor and a London Assembly member. He is now a Peer!

This as well:

Quote:
Charlotte Owen, a former adviser to Mr Johnson, will become one of the youngest peers, as will fellow advisers Ben Gascoigne and Ross Kempsell.
It's just all so shameless and pathetic. Our political and media class is just one big club using the instruments of the state to back-slap and reward each other. Sir David Attenborough worked for years producing programs and advocating for the environment to get his Knighthood, Sir Simon Clarke MP has been an MP for six years but he was mates with Johnson so gets the same reward. Imagining having the arrogance to be a Knight for that, pathetic.

I am not even annoyed at Johnson. He used his last bit of power to reward his allies, which always happens, I am annoyed by the people that accept it when deep down they must know they don't deserve it.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 20:37   #6
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
These people who get Knighthoods or Peerages and were just friends/minor staffers for a Prime Minister, how do they not feel embarrassed by it? At least with long-standing MPs there is an element of public service being rewarded and something to be said for experience in the Lords. We may not always agree and see them as politically motivated but at least in their minds there is a justification.

But to go around as a 'Sir', 'Dame' or 'Lord' and put yourself in a category with people who earned it because your mate was PM? Just shameless.

Shaun Bailey. Failed candidate for London Mayor and a London Assembly member. He is now a Peer!

This as well:

It's just all so shameless and pathetic. Our political and media class is just one big club using the instruments of the state to back-slap and reward each other. Sir David Attenborough worked for years producing programs and advocating for the environment to get his Knighthood, Sir Simon Clarke MP has been an MP for six years but he was mates with Johnson so gets the same reward. Imagining having the arrogance to be a Knight for that, pathetic.

I am not even annoyed at Johnson. He used his last bit of power to reward his allies, which always happens, I am annoyed by the people that accept it when deep down they must know they don't deserve it.
Why should they not be proud of their achievements? It is the literal embodiment of the British state. Who knows who, who is related to who, etc.

You don't think they backed Johnson because he was the best man for the job, did you?
Old 09-06-2023, 20:53   #7
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

looks like mad nad spat her dummy out and resigned as her move to lords got blocked and Johnson's dad got blocked too quite rightly so
Old 09-06-2023, 21:11   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Boris to join Nadine Dorris on the dole queue

Now Bo Jo go goes too …

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65863267
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 21:12   #9
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Re: [Update] Boris to join Nadine Dorries on the dole queue

wow 2 utter usless tories MP's gone in same day Johnson must been found guilty in inquiry no shock there
Old 09-06-2023, 21:15   #10
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
wow 2 utter usless tories MP's gone in same day
You may take a different view after a short period of a Labour government.
Old 09-06-2023, 21:16   #11
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
this is worse government ever OB
Old 09-06-2023, 21:19   #12
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

It funny how Sue grey and a fellow colleague who both found against Boris, now have jobs with Liebour
Old 09-06-2023, 21:21   #13
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
It funny how Sue grey and a fellow colleague who both found against Boris, now have jobs with Liebour
you do know the inquiry had a tory majority dont you
Old 09-06-2023, 21:22   #14
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

The highest inflation, the biggest drop in living standards, predicted drop in house prices,

I'll take my chances OB over this shower.
Old 09-06-2023, 21:25   #15
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

The highest inflation, the biggest drop in living standards, predicted drop in house prices,

I'll take my chances OB over this shower.
you forgot public services totally on there knees too and the gap between super rich and the rest of us never been bigger