Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do movie audiences today have lower expectations?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Do movie audiences today have lower expectations?

Old 08-07-2022, 23:28   #16
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Do movie audiences today have lower expectations?

There are still many good films released every year. Blockbusters are still blockbusters but that is never where the best writing or depth was found, almost by definition blockbusters are meant to be lighter and appeal to a large audience. Marvel have proved the blockbuster can still be a huge success.

What has happened is that the traditional market for drama bottomed out. The mid-range film that wasn't a blockbuster but still would perform at the box office is far less common now. Instead I think these have gone to steaming or actually the television mini-series. Severance this year for example might have been a film 10 years ago. Same with Chernobyl the year before last.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2022, 14:32   #17
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Do movie audiences today have lower expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
There are still many good films released every year. Blockbusters are still blockbusters but that is never where the best writing or depth was found, almost by definition blockbusters are meant to be lighter and appeal to a large audience. Marvel have proved the blockbuster can still be a huge success.

What has happened is that the traditional market for drama bottomed out. The mid-range film that wasn't a blockbuster but still would perform at the box office is far less common now. Instead I think these have gone to steaming or actually the television mini-series. Severance this year for example might have been a film 10 years ago. Same with Chernobyl the year before last.
I agree and I do like the shift to mini-series or even series instead of long films because they can go more in to developing characters and everything a bit better. My short attention span prefers them too tbh.

But even blockbusters used to have have decent plots, be fairly unique and well written and cast perfectly. The original Matrix, Avatar, The harry potter movies, Lord of the Rings etc had great directing but its the story, pacing and perfect casting that made them greats. I would even go so far to say the same for films like Jurassic park, Guardians of the Galaxy and many others.

Now its diversity first, so the first part of a good movie is out the window because they use a quota to force a percentage of black/white/green/purple in to a movie while trying to keep male to female ratio as close to 50% as they can. The extreme cases are these remakes of movies with all female cast like ghostbusters (that flopped) or the Lesbian catwoman who was white in the first season and the replaced with a black woman (now cancelled) just for the sake of they think its cool to do so. Im surprised the now female cast Equalizer is still going.

On top of this diversity casting first, they also change the stories to incorporate gender politics and make a character LBQTXYZ+ and literally every movie has some element of this. They also are making all the male characters seem weak and the female characters strong, for no reason other than this diversity thing.

Take Dr strange for example, this movie was more about the girl in it than Dr Strange. She happens to be lesbian and they shoe-horned in the first minutes that she has 2 mothers rather than the traditional family makeup. Without giving proper spoilers, fights later in the movie have women defeating men with one punch but women who fight are made very long, again to do the strong powerful woman type thing and emasculate men. Some previously male superheroes are now women too.

Its all so forced and does nothing for the story and the movie suffers from all these things added together. Marvel/Disney has tried to ride the wave of fans will watch anything if they like the brand or franchise but I think that ride will end at some point.

The matrix, which is one of my all time top movies had strong female characters and lots of diversity (incidentally the wonderful Wachowski Brothers who made it are now the Wachowski Sisters) but they cast the right people for the roles, had a great original story and none of the forced stuff we see today.

I can't imagine another of my favourite films, the Shawshank Redemption being made today or if it was, it just wouldn't be so good because of the forced diversity and gender quotas.

Despite it being a Dailymail link and a long read, there are lots of facts in this piece which explains a lot of why all the movies are woke and naff these days: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-SAVODNIK.html
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote