Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Paying too much for calls?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Paying too much for calls?

Old 23-03-2004, 20:43   #1
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Thumbs up Paying too much for calls?

Even if you think you're not paying too much, it's always worth a click here.

You have nothing to lose, & you may even save yourself some money.

There is also a more generic site designed to save you money on things like gas/electricity etc, & that can be found by clicking here

I hope you find it useful.

N.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2004, 19:09   #2
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Paying too much for calls?

And now, there IS an alternative to NTL's "321" with 5p per call connection charge (yes, remember it's 5p on top of any time used, nothing included)

http://www.call18866.co.uk/index2.php

Quote:
(08.06.2004) UK National calls for just 0.5p/min!

If you think that UK National calls for 1p per minute
is a bargain then you might want to think again!
18866 now offers UK national calls for just 0.5p p/min*
at all times!!!!

Start saving now and call any UK landline, day or night,
for only half a penny a minute!

*Calls are subject to a 1p connection fee
So that's low rate, low connection fee

Quote:
(27.04.2004) New 0808 number for access via cable!

Good news for all NTL, Telewest, other non-BT landline and mobile customers! Due to great demand you can now also benefit from cheap 18866-rates via our dedicated freephone number 0808 170 77 88*!

How does it work?
If you are already registered please call 0808 170 77 88 from your gistered telephone number. Wait for the voice prompt and dial the number you would like to call.
And it's now available to NTL Users

For a little bit of aggravation, signing up, and getting an extra bill from them - and dialling that callthrough number, you can save on NTL standard rates to most destinations *** DO NOT USE FOR off-peak, non-geographic, as that costs more with this service.

If you have anything better than basic NTL 321 service, the balance will be different - if you're paying for "free" calls at certain times, local or otherwise (and remember also, the NTL to NTL off peak local), then you do NOT want to reroute those through an alternative provider.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 19:42   #3
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

I probably ought not to say this, but anyone with a BT line should get TalkTalk as their call provider ASAP. They are brilliant, simple to understand, and everything is done smoothly and professionally with absolutely no hassle. http://www.talktalk.co.uk

I have an ntl line AND a BT line, for mainly historical reasons. Allows me to shop around very nicely for the cheapest deals on call charges.
scrotnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 19:59   #4
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
I probably ought not to say this, but anyone with a BT line should get TalkTalk as their call provider ASAP. They are brilliant, simple to understand, and everything is done smoothly and professionally with absolutely no hassle. http://www.talktalk.co.uk

I have an ntl line AND a BT line, for mainly historical reasons. Allows me to shop around very nicely for the cheapest deals on call charges.
Sorry Mark, their tarrifs just dont compare with call18866.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 16:21   #5
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

18866 is about the lowest "per minute" tariff around - though for certain international destinations, they may occasionally be beaten by the likes of telestunt

I was looking for a guide I saw somewhere, that suggested using a mix of TalkTalk (for the off peak, 70 minute lark), by CPS, and 18866 (prefix) for peak time... not sure if you have to use a CPS escape prefix before you use another prefix.

If BT are allowed, and apparently Ofcom are still looking into it, to force all stanadrd rate customers onto option 1, then a relatively simple way of getting better rates, would be to use the option one for off-peak, longer calls, and put everything else through 18866.

There's got to be a market for a USER PROGRAMMABLE smartbox - I wonder if there's any way to hack the smartgem's that we have (BT line and NTL line here - having got used to the extra line, didn't really want to drop the BT line after moving from NTL dialup to broadband)
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2004, 17:34   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
There is also a more generic site designed to save you money on things like gas/electricity etc, & that can be found by clicking here

I hope you find it useful.

N.
Been using uswitch for about 4 years now to regularly check my Gas & Electric suppliers.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2004, 12:41   #7
bo-peep
Inactive

bo-peep will become famous soon enoughbo-peep will become famous soon enoughbo-peep will become famous soon enough

this is the first time i've seen this thread and i came across 11866 & 1899 a couple of weeks ago.got rid of TU24 and i use the other method now.it might sound like a load of faffing about BUT it saves money.sat/sun calls 2 mobiles are 2p a min which 4 me is good cos altho my daughter is on 02 the same as me it's still cheaper 2 ring via the 0808 number
bo-peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:36   #8
bargepole
cf.member

Services: Virgin 150meg, VM phone, Virgin TV XL , V+, Tivo, Virgin mobile
bargepole is an unknown quantity at this point

1899 & 18866 now charge 3p connection charge, then no per minute charge after that, so local/national calls cost just 3p no matter how long you're on for, day or night, assume they'll add vat to that figure.

Only problem I've found with them is that you're number doesn't appear to be forwarded when you make a call.
bargepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 13:58   #9
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargepole
1899 & 18866 now charge 3p connection charge, then no per minute charge after that, so local/national calls cost just 3p no matter how long you're on for, day or night, assume they'll add vat to that figure.

Only problem I've found with them is that you're number doesn't appear to be forwarded when you make a call.
Ours shows when we call others, perhaps a problem with your line?
Old 05-10-2005, 18:32   #10
bargepole
cf.member

Services: Virgin 150meg, VM phone, Virgin TV XL , V+, Tivo, Virgin mobile
bargepole is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope it's the same with another line on my 1899 account. Sent them an email asking about the problem & they replied:-

"Call1899 keeps its prices low by buying in bulk from major international carriers. Unfortunately we
cannot predict through which carrier a call will go. Therefore it is not possible to influence the way
your call is displayed.

We hope this has answered your question."

So it looks like it may work sometimes depending which carrier they use.Just tried it my mobile and it worked ok. The problem might just be to other landlines, I'll have to investigate further.

(Vat is included in the 3p connection charge)
bargepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 10:30   #11
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Been using uswitch for about 4 years now to regularly check my Gas & Electric suppliers.
same here.
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 13:52   #12
Shaun
Inactive

Bump of the week? :Erm:
Old 02-06-2008, 05:26   #13
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

I've never liked uSwitch, can never forget them for being dishonnest in the past with not showing the cheaper providers because they either didn't offer kickbacks or didn't offer high enough kickbacks.

Call 18185 and Primus Saver 2 (& penny mobile) with a BT line rental seems the best combination at the moment.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:33   #14
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetypie/8 View Post
same here.
Psst if Paul had been using USwitch for 4 years in 2004, in 2008 that means he's been using it how many years (if he still does?)
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 15:15   #15
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Psst if Paul had been using USwitch for 4 years in 2004, in 2008 that means he's been using it how many years (if he still does?)
Yeah, and how many of them years has he being paying more for his gas & electric because uSwitch didn't give details of the cheapest suppliers because they didn't offer uSwitch kickbacks.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote