Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Chronicles of Rishi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Chronicles of Rishi
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2024, 19:23   #1411
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: The Chronicles of Rishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Unfortunately people only open their eyes when they or their family need those public services
What is Labour's plan for public services? If you don't know, you shouldn't be supporting them. I do understand that the Tories have governed very badly and need throwing out. But Labour isn't the answer.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2024, 19:25   #1412
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If you want to pay more tax and have higher interest rates on your mortgage.

Be careful what you wish for.
Unless you’re psychic that’s pure whataboutery

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What is Labour's plan for public services? If you don't know, you shouldn't be supporting them. I do understand that the Tories have governed very badly and need throwing out. But Labour isn't the answer.
You wouldn’t be stating that people need to provide evidence for their argument to be credible would you ?
Old 09-01-2024, 19:32   #1413
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Unless you’re psychic that’s pure whataboutery

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------

You wouldn’t be stating that people need to provide evidence for their argument to be credible would you ?
I just want you to justify what you post. Doesn't need evidence - just intelligent opinion.

Old 09-01-2024, 19:36   #1414
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
I just want you to justify what you post. Doesn't need evidence - just intelligent opinion.
One usually justifies a statement with evidence, no?

Regardless of the above, to a degree you have a point. The tories have pretty much ruined this country over their time in government. And whilst you have a point that Labour MIGHT not be the answer. If it comes down to it I’d rather let Labour have a crack at it rather than than this shower of crap have another go.
Old 09-01-2024, 19:45   #1415
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
One usually justifies a statement with evidence, no?

Regardless of the above, to a degree you have a point. The tories have pretty much ruined this country over their time in government. And whilst you have a point that Labour MIGHT not be the answer. If it comes down to it I’d rather let Labour have a crack at it rather than than this shower of crap have another go.

No. Try opinion, well reasoned opinion will do.

There is a lot about this country that the Tories have ruined. That we have not gone into meltdown is due to business just carrying on despite government.

I think your point about you wanting Labour to have a crack at doing a better job, is reasonable. The difference between us, I suspect, is that Labour will just rob people they define as rich. So elderly people in their family homes won't be able to afford the property taxes Labour will impose and will have their lives turned upside down.

Old 09-01-2024, 19:46   #1416
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
If you want to pay more tax and have higher interest rates on your mortgage.

Be careful what you wish for.
How bad does it have to be and how long does it have to go on for before you realise the current government is incompetent, corrupt and a complete catastrophy. You must have some military grade blinkers on.
Old 09-01-2024, 19:48   #1417
mrmistoffelees

Quote:

No. Try opinion, well reasoned opinion will do.

There is a lot about this country that the Tories have ruined. That we have not gone into meltdown is due to business just carrying on despite government.

I think your point about you wanting Labour to have a crack at doing a better job, is reasonable. The difference between us, I suspect, is that Labour will just rob people they define as rich. So elderly people in their family homes won't be able to afford the property taxes Labour will impose and will have their lives turned upside down.

The moderately wealthy are already getting their eyes gauged out mon ami… I could send you my P60 and then my self assessment for last year and I suspect you would fall out of your chair.
Old 09-01-2024, 19:51   #1418
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Taxes are at their highest in this country since 1951, and all under this administration..
And the NHS just keeps getting money thrown at it, and it’s still a basket case.
Old 09-01-2024, 19:51   #1419
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It's all very well going on about the government's poor record.
But you lefties dodge any substance as to whether or not Labour can do any better.

So far as I can see, their flagship policy is VAT on private schools and they've allocated the funds they think they'll get to other educational spend. We all know what's going to happen - non-rich people who beggar themselves to put their kids into private school will have to go back to state schools, adding to government cost and smashing their stupid projections into vapour.

Labour will not be good for the country. Yet, I fear, that's what will happen.
Again you namecall and insult some forum members because of the paucity of your arguments.

Given we have had one colour of government for the last 14 years, anything is going to be better then the constant shitshows and daily internecine political warfare on the Conservatives watch.

Perhaps if they put the country first rather then their own grubby selfish narrow interests then this country might be in better shape.
Old 09-01-2024, 19:52   #1420
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
The moderately wealthy are already getting their eyes gauged out mon ami… I could send you my P60 and then my self assessment for last year and I suspect you would fall out of your chair.
... and you want that to get worse (under Labour)?

Old 09-01-2024, 19:57   #1421
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
... and you want that to get worse (under Labour)?
Again, that’s whataboutery…. The tories have mismanaged the public purse throughout their term. I have no problem with paying the levels of tax and ni and in some instances I get to pay employers ni too IF that money is used prudently. It’s almost certain that this current fiscal mismanagement would continue if the tories were returned. Labour have been out of the spotlight long enough for them to be given the opportunity. I don’t expect miracles, I just hope they will be less crap than the current lot in power
Old 09-01-2024, 20:04   #1422
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Again, that’s whataboutery…. The tories have mismanaged the public purse throughout their term. I have no problem with paying the levels of tax and ni and in some instances I get to pay employers ni too IF that money is used prudently. It’s almost certain that this current fiscal mismanagement would continue if the tories were returned. Labour have been out of the spotlight long enough for them to be given the opportunity. I don’t expect miracles, I just hope they will be less crap than the current lot in power
Agreed, this shower have set the bar so low it would be almost impossible to do a worse job. You never know Labour might prove to have the odd scruple here and there and try to actually improve the country rather than their own self serving needs. It would be a refreshing change.
Old 09-01-2024, 20:14   #1423
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Fun fact that since 2010, the conservatives have only had a majority government for 6 yrs and 1 month of the 13yrs and 1 month.

3 yrs of that 6yrs blighted by COVID.
Old 09-01-2024, 20:17   #1424
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
What is opinion if not "whataboutery"?

Your hope in Labour will be shared by a large chunk of the nation. I have nothing positive to say about the Tories. But I know what Labour is and I know what the MPs for East London, Bradford, etc want to achieve as they try to wag the dog.

Voting Labour will come with all sorts of baggage that we don't want.

Old 09-01-2024, 21:17   #1425
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Fun fact that since 2010, the conservatives have only had a majority government for 6 yrs and 1 month of the 13yrs and 1 month.

3 yrs of that 6yrs blighted by COVID.
I’m not sure they can be given a pass for three years of Covid considering their behaviour during that period

IMHO it all adds up

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:17 ----------

Quote:
What is opinion if not "whataboutery"?

Your hope in Labour will be shared by a large chunk of the nation. I have nothing positive to say about the Tories. But I know what Labour is and I know what the MPs for East London, Bradford, etc want to achieve as they try to wag the dog.

Voting Labour will come with all sorts of baggage that we don't want.

Whataboutery ‘the practice of repeatedly blaming the other side and referring to events from the past’ so for all wants and purpose they would be historical evidence.

In its simplest form for me it boils down to this.

Do I believe that the country will improve if the tories are reelected ? No
Do I believe that electing Labour represents a risk ? Yes
Do I believe that there is a credible alternative to either the tories or Labour ? No
Do I believe that the risk of electing a Labour government is higher than the risk of reelecting a Tory government ? No

For me, Labour represent the least crap of the available viable options

A sad indictment of the political situation in the U.K.