Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 16-07-2016, 15:36   #1216
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

I'm just sick to death of hearing them bitching all the time, it's as well we didn't have a referendum to break away from them, dollars to doughnuts says we'd do it.

Last edited by techguyone; 16-07-2016 at 17:00.
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2016, 16:10   #1217
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

I would hope if there is another vote for Scottish independence that the other countries in the Union get a vote. I know I would vote farewell to Scotland. Maybe then I can hate on Murray without being harassed for it.
Old 16-07-2016, 16:22   #1218
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society

If Scotland does leave the UK we will have to find a new home for our Trident submarines based at Faslane as Scotland are keen to show their non-nuclear credentials.

Moving the base to England would be difficult and expensive in what could be trying economic times.
Old 16-07-2016, 17:01   #1219
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

I wouldn't see that as a showstopper, don't forget it also generates jobs and income, their loss if it goes...
Old 16-07-2016, 21:01   #1220
RizzyKing

If there is ever another Scottish independence referendum then it's right the rest of the union gets to have their say on the issue and perhaps that might stop the calls for it so much one thing to be the one wanting out another to find out others don't want you. I really don't want to go through another unpleasant voting campaign and we know for a certainty another independence referendum would be very unpleasant and whilst I don't expect Scots to constantly thank the rest of the UK it would be nice not to have the constant venom.

Old 16-07-2016, 22:25   #1221
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
If there is ever another Scottish independence referendum then it's right the rest of the union gets to have their say on the issue and perhaps that might stop the calls for it so much one thing to be the one wanting out another to find out others don't want you. I really don't want to go through another unpleasant voting campaign and we know for a certainty another independence referendum would be very unpleasant and whilst I don't expect Scots to constantly thank the rest of the UK it would be nice not to have the constant venom.
The SNP is the 21st C equivalent of the NUM. We should call their bluff and let them pick uo the pieces. Unlike Farage and UKIP, Salmond, Splurgeon et al are far too comfortable believing that they're punching above their weight and picking up their pay cheques.

The Celtic Tiger Scots will probably agree with them in spite of the facts but maybe the're due a dose of reality...

Last edited by Osem; 16-07-2016 at 22:31.
Old 16-07-2016, 22:39   #1222
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Let's not blame all Scots for the venom of a few uppity nationalists. The vote was to remain part of the UK.
Old 16-07-2016, 22:41   #1223
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Let's not blame all Scots for the venom of a few uppity nationalists. The vote was to remain part of the UK.
Who blamed all of them? I blamed the SNP...
Old 16-07-2016, 22:48   #1224
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Who blamed all of them? I blamed the SNP...
Waters can get muddied very quickly. It plays into the hands of the Nats.
Old 16-07-2016, 23:06   #1225
Osem
Inactive

That's their problem not mine. I've never been a great lover of tail wagging dog buit then I can understand why the likes of Salmond might feel being a tick is the best they'll ever do...
Old 17-07-2016, 10:41   #1226
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

USA cools on prospect of a trade deal with a EU that doesn't include the UK.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...a-Brexit-trade

Apparently the UK is the destination for 25% of all US imports into the single market.

Looks like la chaussure est sur l'autre pied, now.
Old 17-07-2016, 11:03   #1227
techguyone
Deus Vult

Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon: Scotland 'could stay in UK and EU'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-36819182

Where's that facepalm meme

Someone should do a 'Dear Nicola' letter something like:

Dear Nicola,
if you truly want your life's desire, simply arrange for the rest of the UK to vote for your independance, I think you'd get your wish ...
Sincerely
England
Old 17-07-2016, 12:12   #1228
ntluser
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Telephone,TV with Tivo box & Superhub3 upto 150Mb Broadband, Sky World, & Freeview+
ntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of societyntluser is a pillar of society
Smile Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-36819182

Where's that facepalm meme

Someone should do a 'Dear Nicola' letter something like:

Dear Nicola,
if you truly want your life's desire, simply arrange for the rest of the UK to vote for your independance, I think you'd get your wish ...
Sincerely
England
Nicola Sturgeon wants Scotland to stay in the EU but we don't really know why that is.

If Theresa May and the Brexit team can come up with better trade deals outside the EU it may well be that she and Scotland would be happy to stay.

Canada, Australia, Germany and India all seem keen to do free trade deals. Canada already has a deal with the EU and seems willing to act as an intermediary allowing the UK to trade with them and access the EU indirectly.

It will be interesting to see how the EU responds in light of the willingness of other countries to trade with the UK.

Maybe we'll finally get the EU reform that the Syrian crisis and migration highlighted. Then again the EU could be glad to see the back of us.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
Old 17-07-2016, 12:34   #1229
Big Brian
Inactive

Big Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really niceBig Brian is just really nice

Quote:
If I had to pick who is the more astute political thinker out of Theresa May or Nicola Sturgeon it's not really a choice as Sturgeon is not remotely as clever as she thinks and now she's going to be dealing with a stronger female leader. Much as they might want Scotland cannot prevent brexit the only question for Scotland is does it stay apart of the union or find a way to leave with the horrendous consequences that would have for Scotland.
Actually Nicola is a very clever woman and knows exactly what she's doing. There are soft spots in the EU for Scotland and if they can convince the rest then technically Scotland could remain in the EU but then they would have to go independent, use the euro and accept freedom of movement which means a border at Carter Bar, Berwick, Carstairs, etc.

I kinda feel a bit daft now as I've supported the SNP since 1985 and I don't like the way they are going either. Yes I wanted independence but UDI wouldn't work as someone said no money. However, I suppose they could peg themselves to the currency. Trouble is, even using Scottish notes only is no use cos they are not allowed to print money unless they have a brand new currency and that, although workable, means they have to start from the low rung on the credit scale with the world banks.

This could have been sorted out before the independence vote, yes I believe it came too quick and should have been about 5 years later when they had time to sort things like currency. I bet they wish they had voted for independence now?

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I would hope if there is another vote for Scottish independence that the other countries in the Union get a vote. I know I would vote farewell to Scotland. Maybe then I can hate on Murray without being harassed for it.
ROFL Indeed. Of course us Scots can say the same about the world cup with the English. We are bored to tears hearing about that too but I wouldn't go down the path of hatred. COME ON ANDY!

What I don't agree with is Scottish MPs voting on English issues. Now it's meant to be a United Kingdom Parliament I know but this is why devolution doesn't work. It has to be independence or nothing. The same would happen if Cities get devolution. They would want something and the Parliament would say no. Scotland can't have another referendum without Parliament's say-so, so it's either UDI or nothing there.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntluser View Post
If Scotland does leave the UK we will have to find a new home for our Trident submarines based at Faslane as Scotland are keen to show their non-nuclear credentials.

Moving the base to England would be difficult and expensive in what could be trying economic times.
What came out during the independence debate was that they would be moved to America's north east and they seemed keen on that idea.

---------- Post added at 12:34 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Quote:
As a Scot living in England I wrote to the SNP asking why Scots living in England, NI or Wales can't have a vote. If we can produce a Scottish birth certificate. They didn't bother replying but denied the vote to anyone outside Scotland.
Old 17-07-2016, 13:57   #1230
RizzyKing

As far as relocating the sub base in the event of independence devonport would be the likely place with temporary use of US facilities if needed.

Closed Thread