Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 19-08-2021, 08:32   #1201
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Sky 1 showcases sport and new movies occasionally, it doing so didn't stop Sky Sports Mix existing.

And Sky Sports Mix is viewed as a home for Women's Sports, also tending to show things that aren't on the other Sky Sports channels, get chopped up and not shown uninterrupted, and things that get relegated behind their Red Button streams. It's not without purpose.

There's no indication that Sky Showcase is going to show any more sport or movies than Sky 1 currently does.
I noticed Sky Showcase is showing a WSL game - Man Utd Vs Reading on 3rd of September.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 19-08-2021 at 08:40.
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2021, 12:09   #1202
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Are CNN, Boomerang & Cartoonito owned by the same company? Do they have any other channels on Sky/Virgin? What are their ratings like?

A source has told me that Sky are thinking of dropping these and introducing their own channel on Sky, Virgin and Now TV. The working title 'Sky kids' would be a 24 hour channel for 6 month to 7 year old children.

If these are owned by the same company and they don't have other linear channels on Sky/Virgin (bar +1's and HD variants), perhaps these are the next to go streaming instead of linear??

Perhaps Sky are to kick them out of the Sub Club if the ratings are poor and put the carriage costs that are saved into their new kids channel??

Have you heard anything Legendkiller?

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-08-2021 at 12:21.
Old 19-08-2021, 12:25   #1203
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Are CNN, Boomerang & Cartoonito owned by the same company?
They are from old Turner Broadcasting System, which is now a part of the Warner Media empire.
Old 19-08-2021, 12:56   #1204
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
They are from old Turner Broadcasting System, which is now a part of the Warner Media empire.
Thanks. If this comes to fruition, I don't suppose that there's anything to stop VM continuing to carry them as well as adding Sky Kids, unless it's Warner Media that's closing them in linear channel form.

I've since been given the following information:

- Sky Kids already exists on Sky via Boxsets on VOD only. It's said that they didn't launch it as a linear channel because of their joint venture agreement with Viacom/Nickelodeon UK.
Old 19-08-2021, 13:07   #1205
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

TimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really niceTimeLord2018 is just really nice

They also own TCM and Cartoon Network

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

Quote:
Thanks. If this comes to fruition, I don't suppose that there's anything to stop VM continuing to carry them as well as adding Sky Kids, unless it's Warner Media that's closing them in linear channel form.

I've since been given the following information:

- Sky Kids already exists on Sky via Boxsets on VOD only. It's said that they didn't launch it as a linear channel because of their joint venture agreement with Viacom/Nickelodeon UK.
What percentage of Nickelodeon do they own unless they're planning to sell it , Sky Comedy launched although they only own 25% of Comedy Central UK

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 19-08-2021 at 13:12.
Old 19-08-2021, 13:10   #1206
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Are CNN, Boomerang & Cartoonito owned by the same company? Do they have any other channels on Sky/Virgin? What are their ratings like?
TCM aka Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network are the missing ones from those you mention.

CNN isn't mentioned on BARB, so I've only mentioned other below.
Quote:
A source has told me that Sky are thinking of dropping these and introducing their own channel on Sky, Virgin and Now TV. The working title 'Sky kids' would be a 24 hour channel for 6 month to 7 year old children.

If these are owned by the same company and they don't have other linear channels on Sky/Virgin (bar +1's and HD variants), perhaps these are the next to go streaming instead of linear??

Perhaps Sky are to kick them out of the Sub Club if the ratings are poor and put the carriage costs that are saved into their new kids channel??

Sky Kids brand already exists, but it's On-demand rather than a channel.

6 months to 7 yrs old is mostly a younger demographic than Boomerang is for, I'd imagine it's more 5-10yrs with it's lineup including the likes of Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo and Looney Tunes (though many adults would happily still watch those). Cartoonito is apparently targeting 2-6yrs according to a web search.

I'd imagine they might go streaming-only when HBO Max (or its equivalent, maybe the branding will have changed by then) eventually arrives when Sky's content deal expires.

Ratings: 4 Week Share in 2nd-8th August data.

TCM 0.16
Cartoon Network 0.14
Cartoonito 0.13
Boomerang 0.09

Nick Jr 0.23
Nick Jr 2 0.15
Nickelodeon 0.08
Nicktoons 0.07

Tiny Pop 0.28
Pop 0.22
Pop Max 0.02

CITV 0.18

CBeebies 0.82
CBBC 0.23

I've added all the other kids channels as a comparison Richard, and grouped them by broadcaster.

I've also randomly picked a week when the Disney channels were still around (20th-26th January 2020) to illustrate what level they were getting.

Disney Jr 0.09
Disney Channel 0.06
Disney XD 0.02
Old 19-08-2021, 13:19   #1207
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 View Post
They also own TCM and Cartoon Network

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

What percentage of Nickelodeon do they own unless they're planning to sell it , Sky Comedy launched although they only own 25% of Comedy Central UK
I'm afraid I have no idea how much of Nickelodeon that they own. Yes, you're right about the comedy channels, maybe any agreement that they had had come to an end??

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
TCM aka Turner Classic Movies and Cartoon Network are the missing ones from those you mention.

CNN isn't mentioned on BARB, so I've only mentioned other below.

Sky Kids brand already exists, but it's On-demand rather than a channel.

6 months to 7 yrs old is mostly a younger demographic than Boomerang is for, I'd imagine it's more 5-10yrs with it's lineup including the likes of Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo and Looney Tunes (though many adults would happily still watch those). Cartoonito is apparently targeting 2-6yrs according to a web search.

I'd imagine they might go streaming-only when HBO Max (or its equivalent, maybe the branding will have changed by then) eventually arrives when Sky's content deal expires.

Ratings: 4 Week Share in 2nd-8th August data.

TCM 0.16
Cartoon Network 0.14
Cartoonito 0.13
Boomerang 0.09

Nick Jr 0.23
Nick Jr 2 0.15
Nickelodeon 0.08
Nicktoons 0.07

Tiny Pop 0.28
Pop 0.22
Pop Max 0.02

CITV 0.18

CBeebies 0.82
CBBC 0.23

I've added all the other kids channels as a comparison Richard, and grouped them by broadcaster.

I've also randomly picked a week when the Disney channels were still around (20th-26th January 2020) to illustrate what level they were getting.

Disney Jr 0.09
Disney Channel 0.06
Disney XD 0.02
Cheers, I was just about to post these figures/a post from another forum member 'Omnidirectional':

'Here are the latest BARB figures for the pay kids channels (Monthly reach in 000s)

Nick Jr - 4,302
Nick Jr 2 - 2,600
Boomerang - 2,378
Nickelodeon - 2,359
Cartoon Network - 2,305
Cartoonito - 2,249
Nicktoons - 1,785

if anything, Nicktoons is underperforming, Nick Jr is on a roll, and the rest are around the same figure.'
Old 19-08-2021, 13:22   #1208
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I'm afraid I have no idea how much of Nickelodeon that they own. Yes, you're right about the comedy channels, maybe any agreement that they had had come to an end??
Maybe they will roll their existing joint ventures with Viacom CBS into the new ones.
Old 19-08-2021, 13:51   #1209
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

Cheers, I was just about to post these figures/a post from another forum member 'Omnidirectional':

'Here are the latest BARB figures for the pay kids channels (Monthly reach in 000s)

Nick Jr - 4,302
Nick Jr 2 - 2,600
Boomerang - 2,378
Nickelodeon - 2,359
Cartoon Network - 2,305
Cartoonito - 2,249
Nicktoons - 1,785

if anything, Nicktoons is underperforming, Nick Jr is on a roll, and the rest are around the same figure.'
Bear in mind that all the various channels cater for different audiences, so live-action, some animation, some for pre-schoolers, some with an educational slant, some pure entertainment.

When you aren't trying to appeal to the same people they really aren't fair to compare. Underperformance is fairer to compare to channels that are trying to get the same audience rather than part of the same broadcaster.

Preschooler channels rate better than school-age targeted channels. Both are fair targets, older kids are just watching less TV these days.
Old 20-08-2021, 08:21   #1210
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sky Replay is closing, Media Boy.
Turns out isn't from reliable source on DS ,
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...-july-2021/p22

I am guessing Sky bought the FOX EPG slot for Sky Max then.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 20-08-2021 at 08:27.
Old 20-08-2021, 09:31   #1211
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Turns out isn't from reliable source on DS ,
https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...-july-2021/p22

I am guessing Sky bought the FOX EPG slot for Sky Max then.
Thanks, TimeLord, but which post states that Sky Replay will continue after 1 September? I have seen no credible information anywhere to confirm that.
Old 20-08-2021, 09:39   #1212
TimeLord2018
cf.geek

It was there , it seems several posts have been removed since I last checked , also mentioned Sky Showcase will have a +1.

Also If Sky Replay was closing I doubt it would have normal listings after 1st of September by now.

Last edited by TimeLord2018; 20-08-2021 at 09:48.
Old 20-08-2021, 10:04   #1213
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It was there , it seems several posts have been removed since I last checked , also mentioned Sky Showcase will have a +1.

Also If Sky Replay was closing I doubt it would have normal listings after 1st of September by now.
Yes, I noticed that as well. Thank you for the info’.
Old 20-08-2021, 13:49   #1214
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Warner Media who own Cartoon Network, CNN, Boomerang & Cartoonito are in the middle of being sold to Discovery.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 20-08-2021, 14:18   #1215
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Warner Media who own Cartoon Network, CNN, Boomerang & Cartoonito are in the middle of being sold to Discovery.
Merging with Discovery - WarnerMedia are the bigger company.
Closed Thread