Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 21:11   #1141
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Bad news for Football and UHD fans.

I have tonight by someone "in the know" don't expect Sky Sports UHD in time for Friday launch of the new Premier League Season.

I was also told that "everything is ready" for Sky Sports UHD to launch BUT a delay is down to Virgin Media UK.
I don’t think anyone is holding their breath at this stage.
Advertisement
Old 10-08-2021, 01:04   #1142
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Anymore news on the new streaming service launching MB? I've gone through the last few pages hoping to see some news!
Old 10-08-2021, 01:47   #1143
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Anymore news on the new streaming service launching MB? I've gone through the last few pages hoping to see some news!
Been given no new update since last week on this new streaming service.

Last week I was told that "Virgin Media UK are in "ongoing talks on an million pound deal for Virgin Media O2" with an yet to be named Streaming service."

Until the deal is signed all I can say it start with an "D" and end with an "+".
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 10-08-2021, 01:52   #1144
Derekb108
Wont Give into $ky!

Services: Virgin Media TV XL, 300mb Broadband.
Derekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enoughDerekb108 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Been given no new update since last week on this new streaming service.

Last week I was told that "Virgin Media UK are in "ongoing talks on an million pound deal for Virgin Media O2" with an yet to be named Streaming service."

Until the deal is signed all I can say it start with an "D" and end with an "+".
Awesome+
Old 10-08-2021, 08:06   #1145
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I wonder if it will be the first 6 months free as they did with Netflix back in the day.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:34   #1146
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Paramount+ is coming to Sky and that will be free for Sky Cinema customers, unfortunately this doesn't apply to Now TV & Virgin customers

Some Now TV customers will be able to pay to subscribe to it, but AFAIK even this option won't be available on VM.

They are already getting Netflix for about £4 and free Discovery+. T'isnt fair!!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 10-08-2021 at 08:38.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:09   #1147
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

I'm worried when Discovery close there channels next year hoping to get a cheaper deal and/ or get Discovery plus included in my package etc
Old 10-08-2021, 12:27   #1148
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

DS Forum is reporting that BBC Red Button HD has close on Sky.

But is still on Virgin Channel 990. (An Virgin Exclusive?)
Old 10-08-2021, 13:01   #1149
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I'm worried when Discovery close there channels next year hoping to get a cheaper deal and/ or get Discovery plus included in my package etc
It’s only a rumour that they’re closing their channels, it’s not been confirmed.

As I posted last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Strange - a month ago, Discovery said they were "totally committed" to linear channels

Quote:
In the wake of Disney announcing that it will close linear channels in some countries, another of the major Pay TV channel groups, Discovery, has made it clear that it is totally committed to its linear channels.

Lydia Fairfax, SVP, head of commercial partnerships for EMEA at Discovery, said the channels are both a first window for content and also a shop window for her company’s direct-to-consumer streaming service, Discovery+.

“The last quarter was one of the strongest Q1s on record for our linear channels and they served a dual purpose because they were also driving people into Discovery+,” she revealed.

“We have been using a Red Button facility on the channels to link viewers through to discovery+ and that has driven huge acquisition numbers. So, we will have a dual strategy [linear channels plus Discovery+] moving forwards.”

"Speaking at Connected TV World Summit last month, Fairfax added that Discovery is committed to the Pay TV bundle, “and our channels have a key place in those bundles.”

“For us, it is important to continue to invest in channels and we will keep growing them and funding new content for them.”
https://mediatel.co.uk/news/2021/07/...treaming-wars/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 10-08-2021 at 13:28.
Old 10-08-2021, 13:43   #1150
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Paramount+ is coming to Sky and that will be free for Sky Cinema customers, unfortunately this doesn't apply to Now TV & Virgin customers

Some Now TV customers will be able to pay to subscribe to it, but AFAIK even this option won't be available on VM.

They are already getting Netflix for about £4 and free Discovery+. T'isnt fair!!
It's called business if VM wanted similar then they should cough up.
Wait until you see SKY customers "may" be getting Apple+ free for 12 months too.
Old 10-08-2021, 15:37   #1151
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
It's called business if VM wanted similar then they should cough up.
Wait until you see SKY customers "may" be getting Apple+ free for 12 months too.
Absolutely right. Sky are embracing the streamers and becoming an aggregater (which Virgin said they would be doing) whilst VM get left behind. They appear to have put their fingers in their ears going "La La La", hoping they will go away and it was all a bad dream.
Old 10-08-2021, 17:18   #1152
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Absolutely right. Sky are embracing the streamers and becoming an aggregater (which Virgin said they would be doing) whilst VM get left behind. They appear to have put their fingers in their ears going "La La La", hoping they will go away and it was all a bad dream.
Sky, being much bigger, have much more leverage. Makes it easier to deals without really trying when you are the market leader by some margin, the deals come to you, and on more favourable terms, just due to size. E.g. Tesco gets better deals with a much larger number of suppliers than your local corner shop.

VM could be trying their utmost, you don't know because the meetings are private. Getting no results doesn't mean a lack of trying. The suppliers might just not be prepared to give them offers that make business sense to VM, just because they're much smaller. They might be like "we've done a deal with the largest, we don't need the others, and certainly not on as good (for VM) terms".
Old 10-08-2021, 17:21   #1153
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Sky, being much bigger, have much more leverage. Makes it easier to deals without really trying when you are the market leader by some margin, the deals come to you, and on more favourable terms, just due to size. E.g. Tesco gets better deals with a much larger number of suppliers than your local corner shop.

VM could be trying their utmost, you don't know because the meetings are private. Getting no results doesn't mean a lack of trying. The suppliers might just not be prepared to give them offers that make business sense to VM, just because they're much smaller. They might be like "we've done a deal with the largest, we don't need the others, and certainly not on as good (for VM) terms".
True, it could be down to this.

If/when they go IPTV only, I bet they just provide the FTA channels and then let their customers arrange things directly with the streamers using VM BB.
Old 10-08-2021, 18:06   #1154
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Except it is inactive on VM.

Quote:
DS Forum is reporting that BBC Red Button HD has
close on Sky.

But is still on Virgin Channel 990. (An Virgin Exclusive?)
Old 10-08-2021, 18:21   #1155
Media Boy UK
My post info may change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Except it is inactive on VM.
It close on Virgin Media about 4ish today.
Closed Thread