Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 16:02   #1126
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Oooh this could prove interesting

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rm_av_vendors/

Top security firm: Phorm is adware
Home Office advice suggests RIPA worries for webmasters
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2008, 16:04   #1127
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Cable TV ads are targetted. The audience per channel is far smaller and more demographically defined so the advertising is more targeted. Do you see many feminine hygene advertisments on "Dave", compared to "Living"

Thats still pretty general though its still not personal advert profiling. What I think we might see targeting adverts in the interactive, VOD side by linked by your viewing habits of that box. Watch alot sport get sports adverts etc.

They could even link the broadband personal profiler and use it during VOD/interactive. Although that would be crazy but when was this idea had any logic.

We likely to be pounded if more and one user uses the pc with others adverts. IT according to phorm is our fault not having multi accounts.

So I think they could combine if they do move into TV too.
Old 12-03-2008, 16:04   #1128
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Nice analogy, but wouldn't it be more accurate if you replaced "letter" with "postcard"? And it wouldn't be the postman having a look, but the sorting office. I'm not sure that any laws would then be broken.
Not really
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmi...ntrol_Protocol
TCP, the main transmission protocol we are talking about here to use the wiki words
Quote:
The Internet Protocol (IP) works by exchanging groups of information called packets. Packets are short sequences of bytes consisting of a header and a body. The header describes the packet's destination, which routers on the Internet use to pass the packet along, generally in the right direction, until it arrives at its final destination. The body contains the application data.
So a TCP packet contains an envelope or header which everyone needs to read, and a private body (though the privacy is about as strong as a paper envelope). Thus at the moment the header should be the only part that is read (it is all the router needs to read), but now the body will be looked at too.
Old 12-03-2008, 16:07   #1129
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Nice analogy, but wouldn't it be more accurate if you replaced "letter" with "postcard"? And it wouldn't be the postman having a look, but the sorting office. I'm not sure that any laws would then be broken.
Your analogy does not hold water IMO. A postcard is in open sight for anybody who handles or sees it to read. The writer of a postcard knows that obvious fact when they choose that method of communication and by choice opts for zero privacy. Anybody who seals communication within an envelope or packet has the expectancy, under law, that any unlawful or unjustified breach of privacy will be punished under the various laws covering snooping.

The question remaining is whether you wish your on-line activities to be considered to be as a postcard or private closed packets. If its in plain view (postcard) then if the range of the proposed imposition of spying had better stay within the realms of ad serving. If it is ever expanded as an online crime fighting tool then we had all better hope that the fuss and furore over modem cloning is rubbish and that we all make sure that our wireless connections (routers) are never compromised (thousands are already). I would never mind being held answerable for my own activity but no way would want to be held responsible for something I knew nothing about let alone the source.
Old 12-03-2008, 16:11   #1130
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

a question, do you trust charles to report this fairly, he does seem very pro Phorm?, but then the Guardian is signed up to the service....
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...s_consent.html
"
Home Office on Phorm: it's legal if users consent

An analysis by the Home Office of Phorm's proposed system suggests that it's legal - as long as users give their consent
March 12, 2008 3:00 PM

You can find an archive of the discussion on Cryptome, but as it went out on the ukcrypto mailing list (if I'm reading the headers right), it's hardly secret.
The conclusion:
"

notice no mention of word 'explicit' from the
"20. Targeted online advertising services should be provided with the
explicit consent of ISPs' users ...."
Old 12-03-2008, 16:23   #1131
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post

From the article above
Quote:
It seems Virgin Media boss Neil Berkett could be gearing up to take the same stance on its deal with Phorm as Carphone Warehouse boss Charles Dunstone.

In an email to a customer seen by The Register, he said he will look again at his firm's plans to implement the service. Asked if he planned to require customers to explicitly opt-in to the ad targeting network, Berkett wrote this morning: "I am reviewing this again this evening."
So, VM may be changing their stance.
Old 12-03-2008, 16:28   #1132
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post

This development has the potential of serious credibility implications for Phorm and any ISP implementing their processes.

What goes around comes around and Kent may have to face the people who give more than a passing thought to his past.
Old 12-03-2008, 16:53   #1133
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
Thats still pretty general though its still not personal advert profiling. What I think we might see targeting adverts in the interactive, VOD side by linked by your viewing habits of that box. Watch alot sport get sports adverts etc.

They could even link the broadband personal profiler and use it during VOD/interactive. Although that would be crazy but when was this idea had any logic.

We likely to be pounded if more and one user uses the pc with others adverts. IT according to phorm is our fault not having multi accounts.

So I think they could combine if they do move into TV too.
You are not thinking of the truly big picture, once you have quad play with VM they know your browsing habits, viewing habits, home and mobile phone calling habits and can target even more effectively. With VOD style viewing they will be able to inject the right adverts into those 30 second blocks for the right viewer.
Old 12-03-2008, 17:14   #1134
Shin Gouki
Inactive

Shin Gouki is an unknown quantity at this point

"Targeted online advertising services should be provided with the explicit consent of ISPs' users or by the acceptance of the ISP terms and conditions."

So in other words the ISP's will just change their T & C's and if you don't accept them all you can do is leave.
Old 12-03-2008, 17:22   #1135
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
From the article above

So, VM may be changing their stance.
Oh i bloody well hope so. I would hate to see VirginMedia self destruct

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 12-03-2008, 17:42   #1136
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post

Home Office on Phorm: it's legal if users consent

An analysis by the Home Office of Phorm's proposed system suggests that it's legal - as long as users give their consent
That's one interpretation. Another is that it would be unlawful interception if an ISP were to pass data from an opt-out subscriber to Phorm's profiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Arthur (Guardian)
I'm leaning towards the phrase "server-side adware" for what Phorm's doing. Does anyone else have a better phrase?
Sure,
  • illegal wiretapping
  • unlawful interception of communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Gouki View Post
So in other words the ISP's will just change their T & C's and if you don't accept them all you can do is leave.
Surely RIPA was no more intended to permit that than to restrict "legitimate business activity"?
Old 12-03-2008, 19:32   #1137
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Well seems the other side are now starting to let people know who will not be sharing a bed with Phorm.. http://www.antiphormleague.com/isp.php

For me I have lost my trust in VM knowing how they also change T&C without informing us I can see me taking BT up on the offer of BT line with half price line fitting for an 18month contract then off to Aquiss. MD of Aquiss has replied to every email I have sent him.
Old 12-03-2008, 20:00   #1138
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7291637.stm

Now that's more like, BBC !
Old 12-03-2008, 20:17   #1139
Morden
Inactive

Services: Cable, Freeview DVD recorder, telephone L, BB L, TV xl, V+
Morden will become famous soon enoughMorden will become famous soon enoughMorden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
No, all Phorm is doing is datamining that data that as you note takes plenty of space into something useable and smaller.
Not that much space, government, university and private companies networks do this as a matter of fact. Space is cheap why install gigs when you can get terrabytes relatively cheap for a SAN.

I only use about a gig a week at most, usually far less about 30 meg a day in logs at home monitoring everything, which if I wanted to could be backed up to dvd.
And its not that hard to datamine a sniffer, especially if you have one which already gives a graphical display. You dont need phorm for that and as I said Virgin already do this sort of stuff without phorm and for emails its a legal requirement by HM Gov to store them and has been since at least 2000.
Old 12-03-2008, 20:38   #1140
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden View Post
Not that much space, government, university and private companies networks do this as a matter of fact. Space is cheap why install gigs when you can get terrabytes relatively cheap for a SAN.

I only use about a gig a wek at home moitoring everything, which if I wanted to could be backed up to dvd.
And its not that hard to datamine a sniffer, especially if you have one which already gives a graphical display. You dont need phorm for that and as I said Virgin already do this sort of stuff without phorm and for emails its a legal requirement by HM Gov to store them and has been since at least 2000.
The point is I have a contract with Virgin Media. I do not have have a contract with Phorm, nor do I want one. That being the case, I should not have to accept that they will profile everything that I do online if I explicitly forbid them from doing so. Furthermore, I don't trust Phorm not to use my data if I opt-out and I have no way of verifying that they are not.
What Phorm intend to do is far more intrusive than what companies like Google currently do for two reasons: (1) It's being done at the network level so is much more difficult to circumvent, and (2) It is applied indiscriminately to everything I look at so I can't avoid it by steering clear of specific sites.
Add to that the fact that the government must go through due legal process before they can access my data (something I don't have a problem with, by the way) and also the fact that (even now) I trust Virgin Media much more than I trust Phorm, and morally, at least, this scheme doesn't have a leg to stand on.
Closed Thread