Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 07-03-2012, 11:50   #1051
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
what say you.
I say to hell with that. At that point i'd seriously consider dropping tiers and getting an ADSL connection in.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2012, 00:30   #1052
suckaaa
Inactive

suckaaa is an unknown quantity at this point

heres my graph 100 meg vmng and dlink vs the superhub huddersfield area, i bought the vmng of ebay but really cant notice any difference while gaming gears 2 and 3

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...09-03-2012.png

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...06-03-2012.png
suckaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00   #1053
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckaaa View Post
heres my graph 100 meg vmng and dlink vs the superhub huddersfield area, i bought the vmng of ebay but really cant notice any difference while gaming gears 2 and 3

how did you get the stolen modem activated?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:22   #1054
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
its over fibre optic cables so technically it is the speed of light
c. 16 ms is the speed of light, plus what Qasi has said.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:39   #1055
suckaaa
Inactive

Lol was it stolen i dont no i rang 150 indian call centre i said virgin sent it me he checked tht it was registered to a different account put me on hold dunno where he went came back and activated it, havent checked speeds on it though upload seems a little lower
Old 09-03-2012, 02:49   #1056
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:

your area is a good VM area.

so far everyone I know who says they see no difference is in low utilised areas.

although I dont know if the jitter differences between the 2 devices would be enough to show in a game. for me its about 5-10ms on pingtest.net difference depending on time of day and the delayed packets seem almost alternate on the superhub which shows noticebly in ssh but I dont game so I have never observed the effect in gaming.

I have also noticed lately that the differences arent so clear on tbb graphs, I found even when the graph looks ok there was noticebly jitter in ssh on my superhub 24/7. Whilst the vmng300 feels slightly jittery but its not really noticeble unless usually about 4-10pm on bad days.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:15   #1057
suckaaa
Inactive

Ive been testing my connection a lot using ping plotter pro the superhub would show some packetloss pinging bbc.co.uk but the vmg and dlink would show 0 packet loss and my tracert results to my my network improved by 1ms with the vmng. Also tested using the comand prompt ping -t google.co.uk etc both would show spikes in the network all times of the day, even early morning, gaming the hub felt better my bullets would connect better gears 2 but that game is broken so i dunno. I also test superhub modem mode with dlink gave me horrible results loads of packet loss.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:49   #1058
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Lol was it stolen i dont no i rang 150 indian call centre i said virgin sent it me he checked tht it was registered to a different account put me on hold dunno where he went came back and activated it, havent checked speeds on it though upload seems a little lower
according to VMs own terms and conditions, yes
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 15:31   #1059
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Ive been testing my connection a lot using ping plotter pro the superhub would show some packetloss pinging bbc.co.uk but the vmg and dlink would show 0 packet loss and my tracert results to my my network improved by 1ms with the vmng. Also tested using the comand prompt ping -t google.co.uk etc both would show spikes in the network all times of the day, even early morning, gaming the hub felt better my bullets would connect better gears 2 but that game is broken so i dunno. I also test superhub modem mode with dlink gave me horrible results loads of packet loss.
1ms is nothing. BT increased my ping by 30ms "to keep my line stable", now all my gaming pings are 50ms+. A power cut has nothing to do with line stability.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 21:52   #1060
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

What does that mean, Qasi? "BT increased my ping by 30 ms". Exactly what did they do and what was the practical effect?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:26   #1061
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

First thing was, well I don't know, something in the IP profile I believe that increased my latency by 12ms. This is nothing but an artificial delay generated by BT and I don't know how or why.

Secondly they turned on interleaving, three levels of it, increasing my latency by an additional ~8ms each time. On top of the artificial IP profile delay, my overall ping to/from work has more than doubled, so remote desktop feels a little more sluggish. For some reason a couple days later, my download speed also got capped to about 70% of normal.

Gaming feels considerably more sluggish, plus I'm rarely if ever picked as host now, so more often have to suffer laggy foreign hosts with crappy connections on some other continent. Downloads are obviously slower.

Indian phone support claimed to have spotted the problem and were going to fix it today, but haven't. I'll have to get a line profile reset, apparently.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 22:41   #1062
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

BT have DLM which automatically controls line paremeters to maintain stability, FTTC is still subject to things like noise interference so BT have kept DLM on.

When they believe the line to be unstable either from excessive CRC/FEC errors or line disconnects (like when you did at the start) then DLM will either enable interleaving or buff up the noise margin or both, there is also varying levels of interleaving so its more than just a on/off setting now.

I think I remember telling you this a week or so back.

I would ring up BTs tech support and explain the line stability was not the line but you playing around with the modem and ask them to reset the profile to its default, then after that plug it in to the router and leave it alone on 24/7.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42   #1063
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

Packet loss seems to have gone.

Last Friday.

Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25   #1064
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Firstly please ignore any lost packets, that was me moving cable around, the engineers install and then they were both off for a bit of decorating (hard to wallpaper round the cables) and finally for the 50Mb the superhub rebooting whilst I set up DHCP leases and messed about with the menus..

Comparison time though the first one isn't being used and just feeds into a router with the wifi turned off and nothing else attached.
Virgin Media Business 10Mb

Now this one is being used with two PC's on 24/7 and 4 PC's on during the day/evening
Virgin Media 50Mb Superhub (router mode)

I'm more than happy with those results and if you want to try to use those results to slag off the superhub then honestly..get a life
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33   #1065
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

My heavily used Super Hub in Modem Mode

There will be a fair amount of short bust uploading today.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote