Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 13:58   #10621
Hank

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
http://digg.com/tech_news/Deep_Packe...Privacy_Online

Copy and Paste into URL bar, this one will almost definitely make Digg front page. Last torrentfreak article about me hit about 1600 Diggs, the article has already sent over 200 people to the NoDPI web site in the last hour and over 600 page views.

Alexander Hanff
Dug & Commented

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicz View Post
Well said Madslug
Ditto.

Icsys - if you have written or sent a reply to Shriti please could you PM a copy (I will make a few amends to be sure she knows it is a different letter etc)

I am flying back to England in the next 24 hours and would like to get a letter off before I head away again shortly after (not normally such a jet setter but holidays and work demand it right now )

Thanks

Advertisement
Old 01-07-2008, 14:19   #10622
Peter N

I just wanted to post a copy of a reply I got on the BT forum as it applies as much here as it does over there. I took the liberty of replying to the poster on behalf of the BT forum and CableForum members.

Hello Peter,

I just thought I'd let you know that I am one of those hundreds/thousands of people, who don't join in this discussion. However, I started reading this thread way back when, signed the Petition when there were only 4000 names on it, plus told everyone I know to sign it too ...... which they did.

I check in everyday to read the latest news, although I don't understand all the techie stuff, being a female of the species!

My thanks to you and all the others who are fighting actively, on behalf of the others like me!

Old 01-07-2008, 14:20   #10623
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I have just been in touch with City of London Police and no protest permit is required. They knew about the protest already and were very pleasant on the phone and don't seem to have any concerns. I will be discussing it with them more in the next day or so and will be in London next week some time to have a meeting with them.

Thanks to Serial who has had a meeting with Barbican Security who were also very pleasant and have outlined the boundaries of their private ground for us so we can make sure we keep things pleasant and lawful.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 14:24   #10624
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonHickling View Post
I have had the latest round of "BERR / ICO / Shriti Vadera" propaganda drop in the mailbox via my MP this morning. The BERR website has this
So I did. I have left a message to speak to someone regarding this and I am going to discuss (assuming they return my call) the interception from the web-site point of view. Is there anything else people would like me to ask / raise if they do get back to me? (If so PM me, so I can keep it together - ta)

If anyone else has received this pack it might be worth making sure they realise how many of us care enough to ring them.
not so much a single direct question, although it might be interesting to see what they say when you bring up the different sections of the act the ISP and Phorm have already broken in the old trials, and will be breaking in any new trials.

its probably easyest to directly relate (for non tech BERR admin's etc) that to the website owners copyright content than the end users datastreams OC, so there is were it might be asked first.

see the

Copyright, Designs and Patent Act 1988 section

section
http://www.ipo.gov.uk/crime/crime-wh...fenceguide.htm

and compare with the act as layed out

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988...ch6-pb5-l1g107
Making or Dealing in Infringing Articles
It is an offence under s.107 (1) of the CDPA to
(a) make for sale or hire,
(b) import into the United Kingdom otherwise than for private and domestic use,
(c) possess in the course of a business with a view to committing any act infringing copyright,
(d) in the course of a business
(i) sell or lets for hire,
(ii) offer or expose for sale or hire,
(iii) exhibit in public, or
(iv) distribute, or
(e) distribute otherwise than in the course of a business to such an extent as to affect prejudicially the owner of the copyright
107(1)(c) seems clear enough,thats what they do...
(Sentence:6 months and or a GBP £5,000 fine)

does 107(1)(a) apply ? seems it might..
(Sentence: 6 months and or a GBP £5,000 fine)
(Indictment:10 years and or a fine)

107(1)(d)(i)-(ii) too ....

107(1)(e) again quite likely dont we think?
(Sentence: 6 months and or a GBP £5,000 fine)
(Indictment:10 years and or a fine)

and OC the next page
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988..._19880048_en_6
also likely covers Phorm and thier supplying of the device...

(2) A person commits an offence who—
(a) makes an article specifically designed or adapted for making copies of a particular copyright work, or

etc

[edit]

ohh and dont forget to also include the stanford Ripa conviction ruling in all things to show them we know this ruling exists and we can use it...
http://www.lawdit.co.uk/reading_room...20Stanford.htm

Geoffrey Rivlin QC, the trial judge had a different view. He pointed out that “right to control”
did not mean that someone had a right to access or operate the system, but that the Act required
that person to of had a right to authorise or to forbid the operation.

Stanford appealed the judge’s decision. However, the Court of Appeal upheld Rivlin’s view.

It pointed out that the purpose of the law was to protect privacy. Therefore Stanford’s sentence of 6 months imprisonment (suspended for two years) and a fine of £20,000 with £7000 prosecution costs
were upheld.
"
Old 01-07-2008, 14:29   #10625
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Does anyone know which evening paper in London covers the area around the Barbican, I would like to send them a press release to make residents aware that we will be using a PA from noon to 2pm and apologise in advance for any disturbance this may cause.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 14:30   #10626
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I just wanted to update everyone on Baroness Miller quickly.

As many of you know she was good enough to post to this forum last week in response to the concerns she had received from several of our members and I think it is important to let people know that she hasn't stopped there. Her team is currently in communications with myself and several other people in order to assist her in preparing Parliamentary Questions and to keep her aware of the concerns of the general public.

Clearly she is taking this matter very seriously and will be addressing the Home Office on 17th July; she has also provisionally confirmed she will be attending the Protest on the 16th so long as nothing else comes up.

Earl of Northesk is still very much involved in this issue too and has thrown some more questions at the Home Office.

So I just wanted to update people and let them know that despite things seeming quiet, there is a lot going on in the background and it is all very positive. Personally I would like to thank Baroness Miller and her staff for the time they are putting into this matter.

Alexander Hanff
Thank you Alex and Baroness Miller, 16th/17th seem like thjye could be really busy for many.
Old 01-07-2008, 14:31   #10627
SimonHickling
Inactive

SimonHickling is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that popper. I'll certainly mention it.
Old 01-07-2008, 14:32   #10628
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Does anyone know which evening paper in London covers the area around the Barbican, I would like to send them a press release to make residents aware that we will be using a PA from noon to 2pm and apologise in advance for any disturbance this may cause.

Alexander Hanff
I know the Evening Standard is widely distributed in the London area http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/
Old 01-07-2008, 14:39   #10629
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7482991.stm

need for Webwise is ever-increasing.
Old 01-07-2008, 14:40   #10630
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
I know the Evening Standard is widely distributed in the London area http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/
Evening Standard are not prepared to publish notification of the event for local residents to make them aware that there may be some disruption. They are happy to take lots of money off me to advertise the event with them, but other than that, nothing.

They have stated they may turn up on the day and cover the event though.

I really need a way to let local residents know so as to avoid any chance of confrontation with the local community.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 14:41   #10631
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I really need a way to let local residents know so as to avoid any chance of confrontation with the local community.

Alexander Hanff
Best thing I can suggest is a Leaflet Drop - or see if you can put a Notice around Lamposts etc.

Have you resolved the issues with the Police?
Old 01-07-2008, 14:43   #10632
HamsterWheel
cf.addict

HamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notorietyHamsterWheel has some notoriety

Quote:

Alexander Hanff
Alex - no need. They will all be at work.
Old 01-07-2008, 14:49   #10633
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters View Post
Best thing I can suggest is a Leaflet Drop - or see if you can put a Notice around Lamposts etc.

Have you resolved the issues with the Police?
I am in discussions with the police but at the moment there are no "issues" to resolve, they made it clear that it is perfectly acceptable to hold the protest and is in fact our right to do so.

I have explained that it will be a peaceful protest but there will be speeches between noon and 2pm using a mobile PA, they didn't have any issues with that but warned me that in their experience they tend to get a few people complaining from local residences when protests are held (which is why I want to get word out to the local community in advance).

So everything with the police is very positive at the moment, I expect at the meeting we will discuss a minimal police presence to ensure there are no problems. They were encouraged by the fact that we have already discussed the protest with Barbican Security too.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-07-2008, 14:50   #10634
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Evening Standard are not prepared to publish notification of the event for local residents to make them aware that there may be some disruption. They are happy to take lots of money off me to advertise the event with them, but other than that, nothing.

They have stated they may turn up on the day and cover the event though.

Alexander Hanff

Hi Alex, I wonder if this may help? -

http://www.barbicanassociation.co.uk/index.htm

Dave ( and thanks for your hard work)
Old 01-07-2008, 14:51   #10635
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7482991.stm

need for Webwise is ever-increasing.
Sorry to burst your bubble but Phormed webwise is the last thing thye need, 1st if this happens on BT's total customers it is perhaps due to BT redirecting funds to high wages and bonuses for failure to fat cats.
My ISP stops my spam I have 90% less than I had with VM

Best reply I can give them is get a mac and move to Zen or Aquiss become protected from Spam and invaision of your privacy.

---------- Post added at 14:51 ---------- Previous post was at 14:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterWheel View Post
Alex - no need. They will all be at work.
haha scared of the publicity

Now back on track.

We need to decide on decent questions to use in like mini shopping center market research then small groups up and down the country can do a awareness hit on the general public asking a few questions gather no personal data at all and leave them with a leaflet explaining phorm/webwise.
Closed Thread